Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken timing belt  (Read 15479 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Re: Broken timing belt
« Reply #30 on: 05 January 2016, 19:23:42 »

Surely if the timing is off or any damage from the broken aux belt there would be a fault code coming up?
Nope, not necessarily.

Bugger that then, well fingers crossed anyway!
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 January 2016, 19:25:03 »

Surely if the timing is off or any damage from the broken aux belt there would be a fault code coming up?
Nope, not necessarily.

Bugger that then, well fingers crossed anyway!
Only one way to find out if timing belt has slipped...   ...go on, get stuck in and take the cover off :D
Grumpy old man

powerslinky

« Reply #32 on: 05 January 2016, 19:27:40 »

Got the motor home before Xmas but with work and moving house have not yet had a chance to operate on it ye. Went down this evening to the pedal trick and all I'm getting is continuous flashing light. This means no fault codes but am I right in thinking this is a good sign as to the condition of the engine?? Surely if the timing is off or any damage from the broken aux belt there would be a fault code coming up?

Is that not an imobiliser issue ?  . . . has key been messed with, taken apart or dropped ?

Just checked the maintenance  guide again and it says constant flashing indicates no fault codes

Seemed to remember we had a constant flashing spanner light problem recently, with Swordfish I think it was & that WAS an imobiliser issue.  Maybe I have got the wrong light  ::) ::)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 January 2016, 19:59:05 »

Needs a new timing belt kit fitted anyway, just can't get tome to get at it! Hope to get started this weekend if all goes to plan.

Just out of curiosity are there any recommended upgrades/mods that I should be looking into once I do get in there. I intend to give everything a good going over once I do start as I'm in no panic to get it on the road at present but all suggestions/ideas are welcome

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 January 2016, 05:53:54 »

Mysterious. Only a small scrape upper cam cover driver's side - I've had worse than that, quite a long gash -  but my engine still ran. Does it turn over on the starter? All will become clear when you get that cam cover off. Good luck!

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 January 2016, 07:09:00 »

I haven't tried to turn it over yet Terry, I didn't want to risk further damage, thought it best to do some investigating 1st, hopefully I'll get a look after it this weekend.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06 January 2016, 08:08:40 »

Remove the top two cam cover bolts and urn the engine by hand (well ratchet and socket on crank pulley) to see if you get any serious resistance. Ease the cam cover top back and you will be able to see the timing marks.

No need to actually remove anything so pretty quick to do.

But if the timing belt has jumped there will be bent valves, usually at least 18 of them

omegapioneer

• Omagh Northern Ireland
    • 97 2.5td Elite auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 January 2016, 14:01:01 »

Hi sent you a pm might have a few v6 bits to help sort out you new purchase. Give us  a shout anytime mobile in pm. Eric seskinore
Vx trade club card holder

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 January 2016, 18:34:53 »

Finally got to work on the motor today. Looks like the aux belt tensioner gave up (was in many pieces on top of the splash guard). The aux belt went to ribbons and managed to snag itself around the crank pulley. Crank pulley was still able to turn but if it had went much longer it would have gotten severely snagged up, there is evidence on the timing belt that it was starting to slip but i dobt think it slipped too much. Cleared all debris away freed up the aux belt from around the crank pulley and turned it by hand. Thankfully it turns freely with no horrible noises so I'm pretty certain there is no major damage done.

On another note when I removed the coil packs all 6 spark plugs were completely flooded in oil, checked the cam cover gaskets and they seemed to be in pretty good shape if not perfect. Does this mean that the head gasket is gone then? Haven't gotten around to taking the heads off yet but I think I may as well now when I'm in this far and replace the gasket anyway
« Last Edit: 10 January 2016, 18:37:14 by horsecow »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 January 2016, 18:45:14 »

Head gasket failure cannot fill the plug wells with oil! Lifting the heads is such a pain that I would need to be certain that it's necessary. And leaking cam covers are only a little extra work while you have the plenum moved to do the cam belt.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 January 2016, 18:46:37 »

Yes why pull the heads off if the crank turns easily without any nasties?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

powerslinky

« Reply #41 on: 10 January 2016, 19:21:49 »

Wooo  boy  hold up here a minute  ;)

This is what I would do , but is only my opinion

Ok so aux belt has been untangled & removed  :y

You say engine turns by hand (well spanner/socket )  without any horrible noises etc. :y

So . . . you have  removed coil packs  . .   mop up all the oil in the wells the best you can

then , if you have not done so, remove the plugs & rotate the engine gently the correct way . . .  if there is any firm 

resistance  stop   . . but chances are it will be ok

If engine has turned over twice (720 degrees ) it should be ok . Cannot see you have to remove the heads at this stage :-\

Compression test on  each pot  should tell if there has been any damage at all ;)

I would get a new cambelt kit & water pump, new Aux belt & tensioner & new cam cover gaskets. Not forgetting a breather clean . Get it all fitted & double checked  by one of the Oof mechanics ( unless you can do it yourself of course)

Of course other more experienced oof members may have better  suggestions  :-\

HTH  :y
« Last Edit: 10 January 2016, 19:31:06 by Essex Big Al »

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 January 2016, 19:37:13 »

That's exactly what I was planning to do Essex Big Al but I thought that the oil in the plugs had to be coming from the head gasket as the cam cover gaskets looked fine. Is it only the cam cover gaskets that leak oil into the plugs?
« Last Edit: 10 January 2016, 19:38:55 by horsecow »

powerslinky

« Reply #43 on: 10 January 2016, 19:44:14 »

That's exactly what I was planning to do Essex Big Al but I thought that the oil in the plugs had to be coming from the head gasket as the cam cover gaskets looked fine. Is it only the cam cover gaskets that leak oil into the plugs?

Yep !  :y     whats the mileage on the ol' girl by the way ?
« Last Edit: 10 January 2016, 19:51:08 by Essex Big Al »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 January 2016, 20:04:46 »

Cam cover gaskets can look fine ,but like like a sieve. Personally, I would mop up the oil from the plug wells, rotate the engine by hand a couple of times to check there is no serious issue, and then see if the car starts and runs ok.
If it does, then clean breathers, renew camcover gaskets, cambelt kit, aux. belt and tensioner, oil and filters - and your good to go.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.