Author Topic: Whisky  (Read 7739 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Whisky
« on: 05 December 2015, 20:42:52 »

As I don't drink I'm in the dark here.Which whisky is best?I'm not talking brands or even Irish over Scotch,but rather is single malt best followed by double malt with blended being bargain basement?Or which way round does it go?

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: Whisky
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2015, 20:48:06 »

Is that Broocies footsteps I can hear?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2015, 21:57:33 »

As far as 'whats best' goes, just look at the pricing on any supermarket shelf to get the gist!   :)

Blends are cheapest, cheaper generally equals rougher, but the likes of Grouse, Grants, Bells, Whyte & McKay are quite fine for day to day 'cooking' whisky.  Personally, I currently favour Grants, but that's just my taste.

Single malts are a very different breed.  See https://www.malts.com/en-gb/whisky-guide/the-flavour/ for a hint more info.  It is just one multinational firm punting their own products but its a good starting point for reference.

I started with the likes of Southern Comfort and Drambuie but soon found them too sweet.  Moved to JD and similar bourbons onto Irish but then Scotch.

Started that journey with Glenkinchie which is a lowland malt from a distillery south of Edinburgh.  Rapidly progressed throught the Highland malts onto the Islay with their intense and strongly peated, almost medicinal, flavours.

Probably fried my tastebuds by enjoying Laphroig and lagavoulin a little too much and now enjoy the gentler and arguably more flavourfull Highland and Speyside malts.  I now flit between Old pulteny (most northerly mainland malt) and Highland Park from Orkney (great flavours of seaweed, think Iodene and similar) as well as Glenlivet.  I favour Glenlivet as its just sweet enough for me without being too oaky or rough.

You could either set aside an evening in a comfy bar and work your way along the top shelf or perhaps get a couple of friends round and get a selection of miniatures and work from there.

Not getting into the older is better, water or not, straight or iced, soda or similar arguments.  That's an individual journey best taken at leisure.

Slainge!!
« Last Edit: 05 December 2015, 22:06:47 by hotel21 »

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2015, 22:00:47 »

I'm no expert and never got further than Chivas regal but, by christ, I loved it.

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2015, 22:47:36 »

Think of whiskey as you would the world if wine-it's really that varied.

Very simplistically single malts trump blends, but a good blend could be nicer than a poor single malt.

A blend is a mix of whiskeys chosen to achieve a desired flavour, normally, it's made of younger whiskeys so not as smooth as an aged single malt, but an expensive blend will have older whiskeys in and can be smooth too.

As far as Scottish whisky goes different regions have different traits. Islay gives us peaty beauts (lagavulin, laphroig, coal ila) speyside gives a sweeter offering (macallan prob the most advertised - bonds choice of late, generally think a sherry finish with this region) and highland will be middle of the road (again, very simplistic view. Glenfiddich a well known one)

You then have the Irish whiskey, generally a bit 'harsher' and I'd probably say closest to a highland whisky, and the bourbons/ryes of America. These can vary from a jack Daniels which I personally compare to a bells, to a high west prairie reserve which has a great flavour profile. My personal opinion of bourbon at the cheap end is it lacks the depth of flavour and different tastes that a whisky would, but the higher end stuff can be as good.

Once you get in to the higher end of single malts you can look at single casks (the bottle is taken from one barrel/cask, as opposed to a normal single malt which is made of a multitude of barrels from the same batch-each barrel will have a slightly different flavour, so single cask is for the connesouir that appreciated the subtlety of whisky) there's cask strengths which often need a drop of water or an ice cube to 'open' up the flavour fully, and also non chill filtered, and non coloured-essentially the whiskey straight from the barrel-often very pale, but packs a flavour you'd not expect.

When it comes to mixing-some will need a bit of ice or water to help it taste its best, bushmills is the perfect example of this, an ice cube takes away the harshness and makes it delightful, or arbelours fantastic cask strength d'abunadh, which needs a few drops of water to fully appreciate (it's about 60%abv). Generally a single malt wouldn't be sullied with a mixer, and the more expensive blends would be the same, for Irish coffees grants, famous grouse etc are fine (though not Irish!) and for with Coke jd is ok.

Air also changes the flavour, so something you drink on night one and think blergh, might be a different animal a few days later.

As to which whisky id recommend-well, it depends entirely on the person, my preference is towards the peaty end, but I'd happily enjoy a dram of most offerings, apart from jura elixir, that stuff was awful!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2015, 22:55:44 »

Yeah, consider all the above and then use whatever whisky you decide on for its real purpose: killing garden slugs ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2015, 22:59:29 »

Highland Park or Scapa for the Islands, and my current favourite of the bourbons is Evan Williams...

Honey JD is a pleasant everyday effort too imho ;)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2015, 23:00:31 »

Yeah, consider all the above and then use whatever whisky you decide on for its real purpose: killing garden slugs ;)

That will be the Old Cameron, single grain then. Also doubles as paint stripper and tooth enamel removal liquid.....

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2015, 23:09:54 »

JD White Rabbit and Glenlivet 12 Year Old Scotch Malt Whisky are the two I currently like.  :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2015, 00:15:31 »

I think whiskey is a very personal thing  and thus it requires a lot of experimentation to find your way :D

For me, i cannot get enough of a 33 yo Dhalwinnie.  Which reminds me, not much left in that bottle. I might need some more...... ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2015, 00:25:09 »

I think whiskey is a very personal thing  and thus it requires a lot of experimentation to find your way :D

For me, i cannot get enough of a 33 yo Dhalwinnie.  Which reminds me, not much left in that bottle. I might need some more...... ::)
World of Whiskies opens at 4am iirc ;)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 December 2015, 00:48:53 »

They dont do Dalwhinnie as far as i remember

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2015, 00:51:11 »

Can have a looksee in a bit ;)

Nowt suggested on their website :'(
« Last Edit: 06 December 2015, 00:57:19 by Harris K Telemacher »

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 December 2015, 01:10:12 »

Can have a looksee in a bit ;)

Nowt suggested on their website :'(

Last time I took a spin in their shop in GTW they said they didn't stock it.  Shame really, it's ferkin lovely :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2015, 11:16:14 »

I think whiskey is a very personal thing and thus it requires a lot of experimentation to find your way :D

Agreed.

I have a friend who can distinguish the taste of more than 30 malts.

His favourite is Laphroaig.

He describes Glenfiddich as 'commercial crap'.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.