Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rust treatment ?  (Read 3475 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Rust treatment ?
« on: 15 December 2015, 11:37:57 »

I can't remember what it was that someone on here
recommended for rust treatment  :-\
Anyone have any advice , its for rear arches just temporary for now
till i can cut the bad stuff out in the summer .
Previous stuff like currust and genolite is not good enough   :(
Omegatitis

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Rust treatment ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2015, 11:45:44 »

I've used the loctite stuff, which seems to have been fine. (confess I haven't stripped back off all the paint in my inner wings just to check however, so can't really say conclusively, sadly)

Of the opinion that no rust killing stuff is really any good, and any rust needs cutting out, or it will be back. However I know exactly what you mean, and I agree, you just want to do a 'good enough job until the weather is a bit more hospitable.

I know there is some very expensive thick sludge-like stuff I've heard of on Classic Car forums, which is basically an acid, and doesn't so much chemically convert (like the loctite, kurrust etc), but actually dissolves the rust, leaving only steel. Sadly no idea of the name  :(
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2015, 11:51:31 »

Bilt Hamber have the complete range of stuff and their mail order service is good.

http://www.bilthamber.com
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2015, 12:03:30 »

Bilt hamber i think was the one i remember ; thanks  :y
Just want to scour off the bubbling treat the rust and prime , not the
best time of year to be doing it but it will at least stop the worst of it  :y
Omegatitis

ted_one

« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2015, 13:18:23 »

Have used the Bilthamber S80 on the rear arches as they had all been replaced recently,also sprayed as many accessible underside sections as possible including inside the jacking points. This is just a stop gap until the early part of next year when all three are going up to Rustbusters in Spalding for the full Monty, as they have been recommended by a lot of members of a local classic car club that I belong to.....not cheap but they guarantee their work and for a bit extra you can have a yearly maintenance plan,just depends how much you love your Omega :-* :-* :)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2015, 13:26:25 »

I own and have used their products - had no idea they actually did work too?? Given Spalding isn't too far from me this sounds good...  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

ted_one

« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2015, 14:00:04 »

It's a bit of a punch for me,and as it's a two day process, I'm going to have a hotel stay added into the mix, and that's only if they don't find any structural rust which will have to be fixed in addition to the treatment itself.Bit of a fingers crossed situation and how long is a piece of string as to the final cost to each car :-\ I'm sure that many members will be questioning my sanity on this one, as it's the viability/cost factor to keeping three fourteen year old cars on the road that doesn't make any sense at all. Got to be I'm a sad old git who can't see the wood for the trees :'(........words of wisdom from SWMBO ::)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2015, 14:04:44 »

Have used the Bilthamber S80 on the rear arches as they had all been replaced recently,also sprayed as many accessible underside sections as possible including inside the jacking points. This is just a stop gap until the early part of next year when all three are going up to Rustbusters in Spalding for the full Monty, as they have been recommended by a lot of members of a local classic car club that I belong to.....not cheap but they guarantee their work and for a bit extra you can have a yearly maintenance plan,just depends how much you love your Omega :-* :-* :)

Thats the one i just ordered  ;) Not the cheapest but then you get what you pay for ,fed up of the so called rust treatments that just do not work  :( So much time and effort put into spraying/prep ect only to be greeted with rust popping through again . Angle grinder will be out on it when its warmer weather  ::)

There's other areas i can use it then coat with stone chip underneath .

What we do for our cars eh  ::)
« Last Edit: 15 December 2015, 14:10:35 by EMD »
Omegatitis

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2015, 14:09:23 »

It's a bit of a punch for me,and as it's a two day process, I'm going to have a hotel stay added into the mix, and that's only if they don't find any structural rust which will have to be fixed in addition to the treatment itself.Bit of a fingers crossed situation and how long is a piece of string as to the final cost to each car :-\ I'm sure that many members will be questioning my sanity on this one, as it's the viability/cost factor to keeping three fourteen year old cars on the road that doesn't make any sense at all. Got to be I'm a sad old git who can't see the wood for the trees :'(........words of wisdom from SWMBO ::)

Depends. Only - and only when you've spent as much on your car/s as a brand new equivalent (surely about 40k in today's money?) can you admit mathematically that we've not crossed the line where 'a new car would be better/cheaper' - however, for me it's like either...

Buy a new pair of cheap £25 shoes once a year or

Buy a £125 pair of shoes and have them resoled once a year for £20

Difference being you have the same, reliable, quality pair of shoes, which are broken in to your feet, look after them and they'll last forever.  :)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2015, 14:10:34 »

EMD - will be looking into the S80 stuff, then, for sure.  :)

My back arches are pretty good, but I'm still having them done very soon, no point in waiting until they get bad.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2015, 14:11:23 »

It's really not worth bothering with to be honest, arches on my 2.2 are starting to go a bit, but will never get to be a serious problem other than cosmetic.

I don't bother washing the 2.2, hides the rust well  ;D

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 December 2015, 14:15:23 »

Arches on the mig are good on the outside , just starting to go underneath but the mummy bus rear arches need sorting first . Didnt help when i dug out loads of compacted mud from under the lip  ::) Now it open to the elements  ::) Still a bit of road salt should wash it through  ::)
Omegatitis

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 December 2015, 14:19:21 »

Somewhere there's a cracking thread on a forum about a Cav having their back arches done. I think the same chap who's doing the MV6 in Performance Vauxhall. Basically shows how the outside looks not so bad, but the inner arch takes a lot more of the punishment. Not saying yours will be, I've got similar, and had a look, and my inners look ok. Probably a lot more underseal/rubberised coating on Omegas vs cavs. plastic arch liners do help a hell of a lot, too.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 December 2015, 19:37:26 »

Depends. Only - and only when you've spent as much on your car/s as a brand new equivalent (surely about 40k in today's money?) can you admit mathematically that we've not crossed the line where 'a new car would be better/cheaper' - however, for me it's like either...

Buy a new pair of cheap £25 shoes once a year or

Buy a £125 pair of shoes and have them resoled once a year for £20

Difference being you have the same, reliable, quality pair of shoes, which are broken in to your feet, look after them and they'll last forever.  :)

;D Sorry, couldnt help it.

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 December 2015, 23:19:40 »

plastic arch liners do help a hell of a lot, too.

never sure if they are a good thing,i agree they stop a lot but if water gets behind they turn into a rust trap
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 17 queries.