Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalytic converters  (Read 2811 times)

Andyv6

• westmidlands
    • Elite 3.0, Vectra b3.0l
    • View Profile
Catalytic converters
« on: 11 January 2016, 18:51:38 »

Hi folks can anyone recommend any good after market cats phoned Vauxhall today and they are no longer available, 3.0l v6 elite.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Catalytic converters
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2016, 21:20:28 »

In a word... No!  ::)

Known good second hand are better than aftermarket.  :y :y

What's wrong with yours that they need replacing anyway? ???
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2016, 21:24:34 »

cats2u.co.uk - fitted back in July 2014 and still going strong, sounds good, passes MOT has pre and main cat.

So would recommend.

*corrected to correct site!
« Last Edit: 11 January 2016, 21:26:21 by steve6367 »
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2016, 01:11:51 »

I've got the same question about replacement cats for a 3.2 (and before anyone asks why, the joker who fitted the stainless steel exhaust before I bought the car cut the flange off the end of the cats and welded the stainless pipes onto the remaining pipe, effectively making the cats and centre pipes one piece). I could cut the end off a knackered exhaust and weld it back onto the original cat, but it would be getting the angle and length bob on that would concern me. I've been told by two motor factors that BM Cats are good.
Incidentally, Vauxhall parts lists show a different part number for genuine 2.6 and 3.2 cats. No doubt aftermarket cats will show the same item for both models.
Anyone any experience of BM cats, or knows the difference between GM 2.6 and 3.2 cats, and the possible effects fitting aftermarket (ie that may trigger the EML?)
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Andyv6

• westmidlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2016, 08:36:54 »

In a word... No!  ::)

Known good second hand are better than aftermarket.  :y :y

What's wrong with yours that they need replacing anyway? ???

They are rattling there tits off lol

Andyv6

• westmidlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2016, 08:39:39 »

I've got the same question about replacement cats for a 3.2 (and before anyone asks why, the joker who fitted the stainless steel exhaust before I bought the car cut the flange off the end of the cats and welded the stainless pipes onto the remaining pipe, effectively making the cats and centre pipes one piece). I could cut the end off a knackered exhaust and weld it back onto the original cat, but it would be getting the angle and length bob on that would concern me. I've been told by two motor factors that BM Cats are good.
Incidentally, Vauxhall parts lists show a different part number for genuine 2.6 and 3.2 cats. No doubt aftermarket cats will show the same item for both models.
Anyone any experience of BM cats, or knows the difference between GM 2.6 and 3.2 cats, and the possible effects fitting aftermarket (ie that may trigger the EML?)
You have the same as me then they just cut the flanges off and welded the stainless system straight on the cats, the clowns who fitted it are quoting £180 per side to replace them.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2016, 09:14:04 »

Mine rattling too, if it helps to know you're not the only one.  :y We've have had the thought of taking them off, and 'shaking them out' but not guarantee that'd work, and it's a lot of faff if it doesn't.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2016, 16:03:28 »

Compared to genuine cats in good condition, any aftermarket one will be poor quality  ;)

You pays yer money and takes the risks ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Andyv6

• westmidlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2016, 18:55:21 »

These are rattling bad and they ain't gonna get any better if they hadn't of welded the stainless system to the cats I would of had a go at smashing the cats out.
I did try Vauxhall for the cats first but with a £ 525 per side and they no longer stock them and have none at factory 2nd hand or after market is what I'm left with and I would rarther hedge my bets with after market over 2nd hand that I would have to get from the web :-\
I'm gonna order them from cats2u and get the flanges welded back on to the system so I can at least return them if they fail.
Thanks for the replays guys  :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2016, 19:04:10 »

One problem I can see with the info you have posted - the centre pipes are originally flared at the end with an oval loose flange that bolts to the end of the front pipe. If your stainless section has been welded to the front pipe, you will probably have lost this flared joint and flange. Post how you get on Andy - I, for one, would be interested to know.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2016, 19:08:58 by johnnydog »

Andyv6

• westmidlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2016, 19:52:21 »

One problem I can see with the info you have posted - the centre pipes are originally flared at the end with an oval loose flange that bolts to the end of the front pipe. If your stainless section has been welded to the front pipe, you will probably have lost this flared joint and flange. Post how you get on Andy - I, for one, would be interested to know.

Correct that flange has gone the company that did the stainless exhaust will have to sort that so I can bolt the replacement cats in place.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2016, 21:00:16 »

There's actually no problem with the cats themselves on my 3.2 estate, its just that the ends were cut off and the stainless exhaust sections welded to them. I want to replace the stainless and go back to steel. I have thought about cutting the pipes, and then using a jointing piece similar to those seen on Audi's, but would mean cutting the ends off the new steel centre pipes to use the clamped jointing piece. It's basically a clamped sleeve to join two sections of exhaust that butt up to each other. The only issue I can see is whether there would be a need to have a degree of flexibity in a joint to allow for a slight amount of engine movement? Audi's have a braided flexible joint at the bottom of the front pipe for this purpose. As it is at the moment, being totally rigid, I am getting a blow on the manifold which maybe down to there not being the correct  amount of flexibility in the front/centre pipes? Keeping the original down pipes and cats with new steel centres pipes is the cheaper option, but new cats and centre pipes would hopefully prevent future problems. Decisions, decisions - any thoughts out there?

Andyv6

• westmidlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2016, 23:48:24 »

I had the same thought and as I'm a tech for Audi I've managed to collect 1 of those said clamps up to yet but no joy on the 2nd one as yet lol

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2016, 06:37:16 »

What are your thoughts on using one the 'Audi style' clamps to join an Omega V6 front to centre pipe section of exhaust Andy? Do you think it would be too rigid compared the original flange type joint, or from your experience do you think that it would be a satisfactory solution?

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2016, 08:07:26 »

What are your thoughts on using one the 'Audi style' clamps to join an Omega V6 front to centre pipe section of exhaust Andy? Do you think it would be too rigid compared the original flange type joint, or from your experience do you think that it would be a satisfactory solution?
It's a rigid joint anyways... the flange simply allows for a degree of adjustment when fitting... any movement at the joint thereafter would result in a leak...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.