Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: loss of vacuum 2.2Tdi  (Read 1362 times)

Stargazer57N

loss of vacuum 2.2Tdi
« on: 19 April 2016, 22:31:59 »

Well, my job for the weekend is to check all the vacuum hoses on my Omega, when my new vacuum tester arrives. I'm having intermittent loss of power when under load mainly on hills at full throttle, and the EML light comes on for a few seconds then and at junctions. A new EGR valve was fitted before I bought the car last week which I took off to check tonight  and to have a wee peak into the inlet manifold inlet which all looked fine. Checked the vacuum at the pie to the EGR valve which seem nowhere near strong enough compared to the effort of the sucking it took me to open the EGR valve.
Does anyone know how reliable the vacuum solenoids are on these motors? I've been in the motor trade for many years and never had to replace one yet, so suspect that they aren't the problem.

I'll let you know how I get on.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: loss of vacuum 2.2Tdi
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2016, 00:00:45 »

Well, my job for the weekend is to check all the vacuum hoses on my Omega, when my new vacuum tester arrives. I'm having intermittent loss of power when under load mainly on hills at full throttle, and the EML light comes on for a few seconds then and at junctions. A new EGR valve was fitted before I bought the car last week which I took off to check tonight  and to have a wee peak into the inlet manifold inlet which all looked fine. Checked the vacuum at the pie to the EGR valve which seem nowhere near strong enough compared to the effort of the sucking it took me to open the EGR valve.
Does anyone know how reliable the vacuum solenoids are on these motors? I've been in the motor trade for many years and never had to replace one yet, so suspect that they aren't the problem.

Could also be MAF, but as you say check inlet as well, (Turbo hoses air tight?)

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2016, 06:42:17 »

Rubber elbow at the back of the cam cover, very common and we have had it on every 2.2dti we have had :y

Stargazer57N

« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2016, 09:13:27 »

The stored fault code is Egr low flow, Zirk but will check it out. Joff thank for the heads up on the elbow.

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2016, 14:46:12 »

The stored fault code is Egr low flow, Zirk but will check it out. Joff thank for the heads up on the elbow.

Other things to check are

Inlet manifold full of carbon build up, pop the plastic cover off the top of the engine and you will see the EGR valve on the N/S, two torx screws and it's off and one vac pipe. I bet it looks like a Christmas tree but in carbon deposits :y the pressure valve is at the back on the same side and held in with one torx screw/bolt :y

Wish I had read your first post again, my money is on the rubber elbows then if the inlet manifold is clean. See if you can get a few in before the weekend some are 90deg and some 180deg
« Last Edit: 20 April 2016, 14:50:29 by joff »

Stargazer57N

« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2016, 20:22:23 »

All sorted, the mityvac tool I ordered from fleebay arrived a day earlier I wasn't expecting much as it only cost £14 including postage but it worked well and enabled me to found my fault within 20 minutes.
 I attached the vacuum gauge to the EGR valve pipe to ensure the new valve which the car salesman had fitted was not leaking, EGR valve good. I then attached it to the EGR vac solenoid, that too was OK. I then attach the mityvac to the pipe going to the valve haha no vacuum, getting somewhere.

I could hear what can only be described as a farting noise coming from the little unit (which looks like a PRV or one way valve) at the bottom of the vac solenoid on the left side of the radiator. By removing the PRV and blocking the pipe with a bolt I then had vacuum though it dropped off within a matter of seconds. At this point I started the engine to ensure the vacuum pump was working OK, and the gauge needle what jiggling  around like a jumping bean on a beating drum.

I checked the pipe leading from the solenoid to another solenoid near the fuel filter and whalaaaa that pesky 3mm plastic pipe had been rubbing on the air box and had three small pinholes in it  :D. Made a temporary repair with good old duck tape (until I can acquire some  pipe from work tomorrow) started the engine and had a nice stable vacuum of -480mmHg. Put all valve and pipes back together road tested and alls good no Engine Management Lamp,no loss of power and it's pulling like a train.
Happy happy happy   :) Omega Owner here now!!!

Thanks for all the pointers though guys much appreciated.

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2016, 07:15:49 »

Well done :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.