Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving license details  (Read 3937 times)

STEMO

Re: Driving license details
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2016, 06:47:42 »

Simple solution, photograph or photocopy your license before you send it to the Welsh!  :)
You don't have to send off your old one to get a new one, just promise to cut your old one in half and post it off to Swansea when you get your new one.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2016, 09:46:13 »

because I passed in 82  >:(

What kept you?  ::) I passed 2nd Aug 1979!  :o ;D

A mad rush before the new fangled 2 part test ;D ;D
Retired

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2016, 11:14:33 »

I didn't realise the two part test had come in so long ago  ??? ...... I just had a few theory questions at the end. Got the count down on a dual carraigeway wrong but still passed  :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2016, 16:37:57 »

I didn't realise the two part test had come in so long ago  ??? ...... I just had a few theory questions at the end. Got the count down on a dual carraigeway wrong but still passed  :y
It was my bike test. I originally had to ride around the block and the instructor was walking and somewhere along the route he took his life into his hands and stepped out into the road and I had to do an emergency stop. He then made me do a U turn in the road and after that asked a few highway code questions and that was that. I believe the new 2 part test was a theory then a practical test, so much easier than todays ::)
Retired

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2016, 18:22:57 »

It was my bike test. I originally had to ride around the block and the instructor was walking and somewhere along the route he took his life into his hands and stepped out into the road and I had to do an emergency stop. He then made me do a U turn in the road and after that asked a few highway code questions and that was that. I believe the new 2 part test was a theory then a practical test, so much easier than todays ::)
I did my bike test in Dunfermline Nov 80 on a borrowed Z250. Not much difference between that & my GT250 2 stroke ........ I nearly went over the bars when I knocked it down a couple of gears & shut the throttle off like I did on mine  :o  ;D ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 May 2016, 18:43:03 »

Yep,bike test as Elite Pete says,passed in 1970,as I turned 17.Car test was not too complicated back then either.Read a number plate chosen by examiner,drive car answer a few questions at the end and it was pass or fail.Passed that one 1971.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 May 2016, 20:02:57 »

Dad never had a licence, as he was too old. Not sure if that restricted what he was allowed to drive?
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 08 May 2016, 20:30:45 »

Dad never had a licence, as he was too old. Not sure if that restricted what he was allowed to drive?
National service was a wonderful thing, probably unrestricted :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 May 2016, 20:55:08 »

Just how old was he?? Licences are almost as old as cars in the UK,and testing of drivers started in the mid-thirties. Before that you paid for your licence, and were legally allowed to drive.

Only one of my grandfathers,  who would be well over a hundred if they were still alive, took a driving test and that was so he could drive army vehicles

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 May 2016, 21:02:15 »

Just how old was he?? Licences are almost as old as cars in the UK,and testing of drivers started in the mid-thirties. Before that you paid for your licence, and were legally allowed to drive.

Only one of my grandfathers,  who would be well over a hundred if they were still alive, took a driving test and that was so he could drive army vehicles
I think he just crept in before the tests....
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 May 2016, 09:51:45 »

My Dad never tooh a test and got full entitlement but that was wartime :y(he's 90 this year and still driving)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 May 2016, 17:56:37 »

Part one was just a practical test riding round cones in a car park at the test centre, pass that and then you could apply for your part two which was the road test round a housing estate with the aforementioned examiner walking round with his book. The only theory was a few questions at the end of the test, IIRC theory came in around the time of the CBT.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 May 2016, 18:05:36 »

Part one was just a practical test riding round cones in a car park at the test centre, pass that and then you could apply for your part two which was the road test round a housing estate with the aforementioned examiner walking round with his book. The only theory was a few questions at the end of the test, IIRC theory came in around the time of the CBT.

This was the bike test that I did.  :y 

On the Part 2 in suburban Exeter, I was a bit nervous and for some reason turned the petrol tap off and forgot to turn it back on when I started the test!  ::)  So I get round the first corner and conked out!  :o  I frantically kicked it over until it started again and then went hell for leather round the block to the last corner where I sedately went round to see the examiner waiting to jump out for the emergency stop!  :D  Lucky I knew that part of Exeter quite well and knew roughly where he could walk to!  ;)  :y  ;D

Passed with no advisories!  8)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.