Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Given a choice. ...  (Read 4922 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Given a choice. ...
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2016, 11:18:00 »

Hence why I would have a 3.2 block (start with max cc), add ported 2.5/2.6 heads to get compression ratio back up (helps economy slightly), 2.6/3.2 exhaust manifolds and 3.0 injection setup (as that gets your economy back) and 3.0 front pipes.  :y

Max cc, optimum standard bits and the better non emission restricted injection setup.

I suspect he 3.2 remap is probably simply knocking off a lot of the emission constraints  :y

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2016, 11:19:47 »

Can anyone point me in the direction of what works power/suspension wise on the 2.5? Sorry for the hijack!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2016, 11:30:00 »

3.0 / 3.2 cams is the one upgrade which will make a big difference in power. Around 20bhp if my memory serves.
Suspension - powerflex polbushes in the front of the wishbones MV6 springs (as common as rocking horse manure I'm afraid) Bilstein B4 rear shocks.
Replace all other standard bushes with new ones, as they will probably be knackered. Four wheel alignment done properly at Wheels in Motion, or to Wheels in motions settings.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ted_one

« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2016, 13:43:41 »

Still think this could be sorted and settled properly on the track at Thunder Road...1 straight mile, foot down and flat out,autos against autos,manuals against manuals,then mix 'em up 3.0's against the 'alleged' inferior 3.2's ::) Come on fellas bring your gun to a gun fight...talks cheap!!and of course, that's if you think you're hard enough :P ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 July 2016, 15:00:12 »

Still think this could be sorted and settled properly on the track at Thunder Road...1 straight mile, foot down and flat out,autos against autos,manuals against manuals,then mix 'em up 3.0's against the 'alleged' inferior 3.2's ::) Come on fellas bring your gun to a gun fight...talks cheap!!and of course, that's if you think you're hard enough :P ;D
Excellent, do you want me to bring a Cosworth Ken, I can tow your one behind it, you might be in with a chance then.  ;D ;D ;D

ted_one

« Reply #20 on: 01 July 2016, 16:56:12 »

Cosworths? Cosworths? Ohh! I remember them,seen them on the London to Brighton old crocks run,clouds of smoke and bits dropping off them,sort of a Ford Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! :P :P

MrRon

• Bury St Edmunds
    • Omega MV6 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 July 2016, 19:20:43 »

The choice has be made...... For me anyway,  I shall keep to my MV6 manual. 
The repairs are underway please see my next post "What items would you keep"
"Chance Favors the prepaired wallet"

MV6 3.0 Elite manual Saloon - MK2 Cavalier CDi Saloon - 200tdi 3 door Discovery - 2cv Dolly, Special and Bamboo, T2 Camper.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 July 2016, 18:06:59 »

TB will be along in a moment to tell you that you are wrong, nitro, the 3.0 is infinitely superior to the 3.2 and faster in every regard ;) ;D

Damn right it is. Quicker and more economical. Whats not to like?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 July 2016, 18:14:27 »

Still think this could be sorted and settled properly
No need, I already know my 230k 1997 3.0l powered MV6 is quicker than my 112k 3.2 from 2003.

I've also been lucky enough to drive enough Omegas to know that my 3.2 isn't a sluggish example or my 3.0 isn't especially quick for a 3.0l auto.

Both being similar specs, including sunroof, they will be similar weights.

The power delivery is quite different with regard to throttle response, making the 3.2 seem quite eager off the line with minimal throttle movement, something the 3.0l can't do, as the throttle is wholly controlled organically.

The 3.2's disappointment comes from design compromises and silly emissions.
Grumpy old man

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 July 2016, 00:47:07 »

And lets not forget that in 2016 you're still going to get battered off the line by some little teaspoon sales rep in an 8yr old standard 320d with his aircon on and radio at full volume and 200 sample teaspoons in the boot regardless of whether you have a 3.0 or a 3.2... or a superchip.  And he's doing 50mpg plus all day long. 

Granted, he's still a loser... but to place importance on the speed of an Omega is rather to miss the point. It isn't "fast" and hasn't been for over 10years.  :P   
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

korum

• Derby
    • 2003 3.2 Irmscher MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 July 2016, 09:08:38 »

Has anyone fitted one of these to an omega? as they make a big difference when I fitted one to my old 3.0 vec b.

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/buy-online/shop-by-category/steel-billet-flywheels/lightweight-flywheel-v6-vectra-b-cavalier-calibra-omega/prod_29.html

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 July 2016, 13:08:59 »

And lets not forget that in 2016 you're still going to get battered off the line by some little teaspoon sales rep in an 8yr old standard 320d with his aircon on and radio at full volume and 200 sample teaspoons in the boot regardless of whether you have a 3.0 or a 3.2... or a superchip.  And he's doing 50mpg plus all day long. 

Granted, he's still a loser... but to place importance on the speed of an Omega is rather to miss the point. It isn't "fast" and hasn't been for over 10years.  :P

Sadly I feel my head (if not heart) agreeing with you. When we look at what engine technology has occurred in the last generation of design, it's stratospheric. Up for criticism, of course, but looking just at Post-War, i'd say the generational leaps were something along the lines of automatic chokes, higher compression, fuel injection, turbochargers, cat converters and electronic management followed by various extra emissions junk. But the most recent seems to have combined superchargers, lighter weight, economy, power, torque, emissions, the ruddy lot.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 July 2016, 16:08:09 »

But a relatively unstressed V6 is (assuming it's well maintained) surely going to be more reliable 10 - 20 years later than a highly strung four pot diesel with a small capacity and large turbo....

Problem I have in looking at other cars is that I just don't like anything in my price range! It takes a lot to surpass that RWD chassis, big car, relaxed V6 combination in my humble opinion.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 July 2016, 16:38:52 »

The biggest improvement is not the engine: high compression, OHC, multi-valve engines have been around for 100years although they were state of the art, expensive to make and own. Modern machining and metallurgy have made them commonplace.

The real improvement is from engine management. No matter how good even multi-choke carbs are setup, they're still a compromise. Distributor ignitions are even worse; we talk about the timing curve, but even with vacuum advance it is more a matter of a stepped line.

Putting the fuel and spark under purely electronic control means you can give the engine exactly the fuel and spark it needs at exactly the right time. This leads to more power, lower emissions, better fuel economy and improved durability all at the same time. Engine management allows you to do things like cut the fuel with the throttle closed which is where a lot of the economy inprovement comes from. Proof of this easy, just look at engines that were produced with both carbs and management. Ford's Pinto is a good example; a 2.0l with a 32/36DGAV carb is reasonably powerful and will easily give 30mpg in a sensible road car. But take one apart at 100k miles and you'll find bore wear and other damage that you really don't want to see. The EFI Pinto(I've had and worked on several) will give 35mpg in the same car, makes about 15hp more, and will still have the honing marks in the bores at nearly 200k miles.

Unfortunately, we soon hit diminishing returns, and it doesn't take long for the complexity to increase(things like driver by wire, or EGR valves, poorly mounted ECUs) and move to the other side of the curve.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 July 2016, 17:01:46 »

Until the timing chain throws the towel in (and it will) and he comes to a screeching halt with somebody facing a 5k bill to repair  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.