Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What grease?  (Read 1741 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
What grease?
« on: 26 July 2016, 09:05:32 »

Just as above.What general purpose grease should I be using? Got some Granville stuff which seems fine (but it's not actually mine, borrowed it of ye olde man, so keen to return it before I use the lot!) got a tub of molyslip coppergrease on advice from here. Also have a small tub of red grease for rubber bits.

There's a tub of general purpose grease in my local Wilkos, 'Wilkinsons' branded, but make in UK, so for all I know it's from the same factory as Granville/Molyslip etc... justa couple of quid cheaper. Overthinking it in the extreme, or actually false economy buying cheap stuff? Happy to get the best, but right, buy once and all that.

Thanks all  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: What grease?
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2016, 09:39:03 »

Depends if your going to be packing bearings with it, if not then Wilko, be fine.
Hoof'land storeman.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2016, 09:42:19 »

Yes, really depends on the application. Copper grease to stop bolts seizing, lithium grease is fine for pretty much anything else. Wheel bearings, CV joints and the like normally come with a sachet of the correct grease, or are sealed for life these days.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2016, 09:47:53 »

Ta   :y

So lithium is what I'd call 'general purpose', and doing a bit of googling, 'calcium sulphonate' is the higher temp stuff? I know with coppergrease I was told only get molyslip, because lots of other brands tend to just wash off easily. I suppose I was just checking that there wasn't any similar issue with quality of the lithium greases, really.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2016, 12:37:30 »

For most scenarios a bit of copper jizz is ok. Anything with rubber I use silicone paste (carlube), cv grease for cv boots and that's about it. The bearings I tend to fit are sealed units so just a touch of spray grease in the hub before fitment is good for me.

Not really sure what multi purpose would be used for. Ironically lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2016, 12:39:20 »

In answering my own question I suppose you'd use it for greasing suspension joints. But what car other than the Suzuki Jimmy has grease fittings these days? Land rovers too I suppose
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2016, 12:58:10 »

As a rule I tend to just give everything a wee smear before fitting, be it a nut n bolt, exposed selftapper screwhead or the periodical greasing of door check straps, etc. Brake parts/lines for whatever reason I tend to gravitate to copperslip, I suppose on the one hand I could use copperslip on everything. I take your point - what do you use general purpose grease for, really? Especially if you've got a tub of coppaslip to hand.

Went in the motorfactors near work, the Comma stuff is in the same tub as the Wilkos, both claim made in UK, but Wilkos 50p cheaper.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2016, 19:08:26 »

well thing is dbg..... if you don't have it around you know 100% you'll need it.  ;D always the way.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2016, 20:39:25 »

I tend to use Castrol LM as general, and Molyslip Coppaslip for copper grease.
Grumpy old man

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2016, 00:58:35 »

The following appears in the link below :-

"Greases, depending on the thickening agent, are broadly classified as either soap-based or
non-soap-based. The soap-based greases include, for example, aluminum, calcium, sodium
or lithium soaps; the non-soaps silica gel, clay and substituted urea.
The low melting points and water solubility of some soap greases limit their usefulness. As a
result alternative thickening agents have been developed – soap-complex thickened greases,
and non-soap greases with a much higher or no melting point. These thickening agents were
developed for greases needing superior high temperature performance characteristics."

I`m not adverse to a bit of scrounging, so popped around the corner from where I work to a local engineering company that overhaul  Aero gearboxes etc. & top of my list is always oils & greases.
A very nice lady passed me some Aeroshell No. 7 grease plus some other goodies including the biggest & widest cable ties I`ve ever seen ::) I`ve already used a couple on one of my bikes to replce those horrid wire harness clips  :y

The following might be of use :-

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwinoMKkpJLOAhVGLsAKHTaNCRUQFggrMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shell.com%2Fbusiness-customers%2Faviation%2Faeroshell%2Fknowledge-centre%2Fthe-aeroshell-book%2F_jcr_content%2Fpar%2Ftextimage_1433441235.stream%2F1445042875796%2F1d024cf49b16b7091e0368a866e9ca6b0ef6f275ac75de066f2004ed372bbef1%2Faeroshell-book-5greases.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGiugqbMMAxZLJZYR0_uqeJtSNhiQ&sig2=TRoHnlgcV6OMHtbycBLFDg&cad=rja

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2016, 09:14:34 »

Thanks all.

I know TB is an advocate of the Molyslip - and I now own a tub on his sage counsel. Wasnt sure if the same could be said of general grease, really.

Tempted to get some high temp, use it as general purpose, but means I can safely whack it in bearings and the like as and when I require. Currently I used the general purpose stuff in the drive belt tensioner bearing and slapped some over the front wheel bearings when I refitted them (99% of the original grease was still left in the wheel bearing, I just put some more over for good measure)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2016, 18:36:57 »

I know TB is an advocate of the Molyslip
Molyslip's Coppaslip is the only copper grease worth having.  All the others, and I do mean ALL, are not the same thing, and saying they are a very poor imitation of a copper grease is being overly kind.

But its not a grease for general purpose lubrication, which is why I also use LM.  Being high temp, it makes a good general purpose grease suitable for a wide range of applications.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2016, 21:37:13 »

ta TB  :y

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.