Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for the motorbike to go...  (Read 15910 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Time for the motorbike to go...
« Reply #90 on: 11 August 2016, 19:45:22 »

Green car has clutch on last legs, all suspension is shot and I'm fed up of a manual.
Being blunt, is that really it (as none strike me as a reason to change an otherwise good, reliable, cheap to run commuter car, and what you're looking at will be in similar or worse condition, plus you'll be paying £70ph to resolve)?  Or simply bored of it/its badge?

You might find, knowing your commute, *any* (traditional, sludge pump type) auto will take a huge hit on MPG, due to not running with TC lockup.  It can be dramatic, and the reviews and write ups never mention it.  To give you an idea, my MV6 gets 300 miles from a tank of gas on my new commute, despite the spanking it gets. Old commute struggled to get 240 miles, and rarely got above 50mph...

A manual doesn't take that sort of hit under not cruising conditions.

Put another way, your 3.2 will easily manage way above 30mpg on a cruise down to the New Forest from your gaff.  I bet you struggle to get 22mpg if using for work...

I know you'll get what you want (and as you should :y), I just didn't want you to base calculations on non-achievable maths.  Obviously, if you're simply trying to justify your little wanter to yourself and everyone else, the maths and costs are irrelevant ;)

Post in no way intended to be controversial or piss taking or anything else, and hope not taken as such...  ...fear not, piss taking will return on other threads ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 11 August 2016, 19:46:25 »

Insurance on the 3.2 is real issue, if it's MrsT has main driver it's a 4 figure amount. She only has 1 years NCB, no points or other convictions.

2.2 is far better insurance wise, I might even consider a replacement 2.2 Auto  :-\
What about if you're primary on both, and she is secondary on both (check with your ins that she still earns NCD in this scenario). Defo worth trying all combos when renewing :y
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 11 August 2016, 20:23:50 »

Replacement Primary Role: Commuting

Green car has clutch on last legs, all suspension is shot and I'm fed up of a manual.

Then spend £500 on a 1.4 Astra, service it, fit 4 new tyres and forget about it until it breaks.

Spend the savings on something REALLY nice for the weekends
Careful Nick,  that could be misinterpreted as a sensible suggestion... :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 11 August 2016, 20:37:31 »

Tunnie, put your toys back and calm down.

I merely suggested that TB swapped a car of your choosing...

As for the whole Ffs thing... Really? I wasn't even shouting ;D

Only typed it as it was easier than For Crying Out Loud.

You routinely ask for advice/opinion/direction on all sorts of topics, and routinely sneer/take issue with/deride any response...

So the Skoda superb is nice... What gearbox does it have? Oh yes a dsg unit...

My nearly new suggestion would actually be a Mazda CX. It's frugal, stylish and fits in with the perceived suburbia lifestyle.

In reality Nicks suggestion is the most sensible, practical and viable one.

You could even swap the LPG on to it...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 11 August 2016, 21:00:31 »

Tunnie, put your toys back and calm down.

That's rich coming from you  ;D ;D ;D ;D

How many times have you pressed the delete button on your account and stormed off? 4, 5 times?  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 11 August 2016, 21:05:20 »

Being blunt, is that really it (as none strike me as a reason to change an otherwise good, reliable, cheap to run commuter car, and what you're looking at will be in similar or worse condition, plus you'll be paying £70ph to resolve)?  Or simply bored of it/its badge?

On a replacement, say S80/CLS, I would do basic service work myself. Filters, Oils, Pads etc. Only paying for wishbone type work, but yes it's a big concern that £70/ph+ to even look at faults is a concern.

You might find, knowing your commute, *any* (traditional, sludge pump type) auto will take a huge hit on MPG, due to not running with TC lockup.  It can be dramatic, and the reviews and write ups never mention it.  To give you an idea, my MV6 gets 300 miles from a tank of gas on my new commute, despite the spanking it gets. Old commute struggled to get 240 miles, and rarely got above 50mph...

A manual doesn't take that sort of hit under not cruising conditions.

Agreed. An auto is terrible for my commute, but that's why I want it because it's stop start.

Put another way, your 3.2 will easily manage way above 30mpg on a cruise down to the New Forest from your gaff.  I bet you struggle to get 22mpg if using for work...

Even on a cruise and back to Wales, I'm lucky to see 27mpg out of the 3.2. But as it's cheap in other areas, can over-look it's terrible fuel use as family bus. I've never run 3.2 for a whole tank, I need to I think. But don't think your far off there, maybe 24 out of a tank for work use.
[/quote]

I know you'll get what you want (and as you should :y), I just didn't want you to base calculations on non-achievable maths.  Obviously, if you're simply trying to justify your little wanter to yourself and everyone else, the maths and costs are irrelevant ;)

After 11 years, fancy a change, but as you say the maths is expensive on a replacement.

Post in no way intended to be controversial or piss taking or anything else, and hope not taken as such...  ...fear not, piss taking will return on other threads ;D

Thanks  ;D

Although I think a CLS is out of the cards, the prices I'm being offered for the bike mean I won't hit a CLS budget.  :'(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 11 August 2016, 21:06:35 »

Then spend £500 on a 1.4 Astra, service it, fit 4 new tyres and forget about it until it breaks.

I get this, i really do, it's just I spend 2 hours + a day going to work. After doing a days work, I'd like to relax in something comfy  on the journey home.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 11 August 2016, 21:38:23 »

I get this, i really do, it's just I spend 2 hours + a day going to work. After doing a days work, I'd like to relax in something comfy  on the journey home.

I spent more years than I want to think about doing badly paid jobs 50 miles from home. There is no way I would commute in an expensive car even if I could afford it. I certainly wouldn't do it in an expensive to run car, like an automatic diesel Merc. A £500 snotter is the modern equivalent of the £100 snotters(some of them were much less than that) that I had 20 years ago. There is something really liberating about a car whose only function is  to get you home. It's a pity that £25 Cortinas and Capris are no longer available, as they're perfect for the job. Hell, that use is the reason why only one of the 11 Capris I've owned was a V6.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 11 August 2016, 21:43:32 »

£500 Focus anyone ;D

Does 360 miles to a tank, has leather, working Aircon and a working radio/CD changer.

Ask nicely and I might even put a fresh ticket on it :-*

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 11 August 2016, 21:47:05 »

£500 Focus anyone ;D

Does 360 miles to a tank, has leather, working Aircon and a working radio/CD changer.

Ask nicely and I might even put a fresh ticket on it :-*

He wants something comfortable! But it's exactly the sort of buy that I'm thinking of.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 11 August 2016, 21:48:23 »

Driven the original focus, ok to nip about town, but not for me. If it's that good, how come you've bought a 5 Series.  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 11 August 2016, 21:52:44 »

Driven the original focus, ok to nip about town, but not for me. If it's that good, how come you've bought a 5 Series.  :)
Because I can.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 11 August 2016, 21:54:00 »

..... it's just I spend 2 hours + a day going to work. After doing a days work, I'd like to relax in something comfy  on the journey home.

So do I ....... I use a Smart 451 though ::) ;D though I do vary it a bit between her car (C3) & the R Class  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 11 August 2016, 22:47:15 »

Though I'm not having enough of a crisis to go buying diesel shitbox Volvos...   ...yet!

Show me something else for £6k with that level of kit with under 100k miles!

Well, late to the party but we've just bought an 09 plate MX-5 Mk3 2.0 with 27k miles on it. 36 MPG, 0-60 in mid 7's and 160 BHP. Livens up the commute, when I can prise it out of Mrs. KW's hands.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 11 August 2016, 22:48:49 »

Though I'm not having enough of a crisis to go buying diesel shitbox Volvos...   ...yet!

Show me something else for £6k with that level of kit with under 100k miles!

Well, late to the party but we've just bought an 09 plate MX-5 Mk3 2.0 with 27k miles on it. 36 MPG, 0-60 in mid 7's and 160 BHP. Livens up the commute, when I can prise it out of Mrs. KW's hands.

Maybe in a few years, but good value there for age/miles. But don't think I can justify a 2 seater  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.