Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Warm-up time....debate  (Read 3501 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Warm-up time....debate
« on: 19 August 2016, 10:00:05 »

Perhaps academic, as in a week or so I'll be ripping all manner of bits off the engine for a major service, including replacing the thermostat; but basically I think she runs a bit cool/takes her time to get there. Here's today's run to work (never exceeding 30mph, stop-start town traffic)

as above, this morning I set the stopwatch as I started the engine. Just over 90. I know the temp gauges are notoriously 'approximate' but does that sound about right? 9 mins and still not at operating temp?

Last night i did the same test and just got to an indicated 92.5oC after ten mins on the dot, with some heavier right foot.

However, I reckon there wasn't a hope in hell that on the morning test the engine would've have got up to the same 92.5oC after a further minute, it was definitely warming slower.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Warm-up time....debate
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2016, 10:52:19 »

No idea on the timing but the best thing to do is to start the engine from cold and feel the top radiator hose as it warms up. If the hose starts getting warm long before the engine is up to temperature then the thermostat is suspect. It should remain cool until the gauge is close to mid point and then suddenly get very hot as the thermostat opens.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2016, 10:59:32 »

I've done that test, and I seem to recall yes, it warms gradually. There might have been a slight surge in temp, but I think I gave up and switched off, so fed up of waiting, was I!!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2016, 11:19:00 »

The hose should be cold, and become very hot in few seconds when 'stat opens.
Also, in cabin (if the gauge is good) -> temp rises to some 93°C, and then drops in several seconds for several °C when the stat opens.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2016, 11:21:03 »

Nope!  ;D

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2016, 11:53:57 »

Well, it doesn't close all the way then.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2016, 12:00:04 »

This is what I suspect  :)

I'm going to do a scientific test in a pan of boiling water and a thermometer with the new and the old thermostat, to compare.  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2016, 12:28:16 »

Also, in cabin (if the gauge is good) -> temp rises to some 93°C, and then drops in several seconds for several °C when the stat opens.

I find that a V6 is slow to warm up; even with a new thermostat the gauge has barely moved after nearly two miles, although after that it quickly reaches operating temperature. Every time I've worked on the cooling system(whether a heater flush or new pump, HBV , thermostat or head gaskets) or done other work, even after 15minutes of it idling nothing much happens. And you get some funny looks from passers-by as you fondle the radiator hose, with a coffee that's cooling quicker than the car is warming up in the other hand ;D

Now, my procedure is to add coolant until the header is full and start the engine. Top it up once the level drops, fit the cap and drive the car until it warms up. Then I adjust the coolant level before I use it next. This has proved to be much more efficient than not driving it.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2016, 12:45:34 »

I find that a V6 is slow to warm up; even with a new thermostat the gauge has barely moved after nearly two miles, although after that it quickly reaches operating temperature. Every time I've worked on the cooling system(whether a heater flush or new pump, HBV , thermostat or head gaskets) or done other work, even after 15minutes of it idling nothing much happens. And you get some funny looks from passers-by as you fondle the radiator hose, with a coffee that's cooling quicker than the car is warming up in the other hand ;D

Now, my procedure is to add coolant until the header is full and start the engine. Top it up once the level drops, fit the cap and drive the car until it warms up. Then I adjust the coolant level before I use it next. This has proved to be much more efficient than not driving it.

Got nothing to do with the gimp mask then  ;D :D
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2016, 12:58:31 »

I asked for a balaclava. I've often wondered why it isn't knitted ;D

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2016, 22:08:09 »

I asked for a balaclava. I've often wondered why it isn't knitted ;D

;D ;D ;D that made me chuckle

On a side note I always found my Miggy to warm up quite quickly, within half a mile warm air was coming into the cabin and around a mile temps were normal.

Compare this with my works Shitroen Nemo where it takes around four miles for the needle to move at all  ???

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2016, 22:56:42 »

Its a derv drinker, what would you expect..
Edit: oi! Its spelled Citroën
« Last Edit: 19 August 2016, 22:58:55 by citroenguy »
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90´s euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2016, 23:07:21 »

Forget the warm up time, you need a new display unit!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2016, 00:13:16 »

When I had a v6 I used to wait till the multi ram closed then drive away, was beastly sound in the cold then warm air would be through in about a mile and a half
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2016, 06:38:16 »

On my 2.0, I just start it up and wait for the revs to drop then drive off. Normally takes about 30 seconds or so. Doesn't make it hold 1st gear for too long and my trip to work is 6 miles of all 30mph limits including 2 miles of speed bumps so no fast roads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 17 queries.