Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's not often I'm impressed, but . . .  (Read 1140 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
It's not often I'm impressed, but . . .
« on: 07 September 2016, 15:05:16 »

We have a pile of old 78's. You know the ancient wax LPs that came before vynil. Just wanted something cheap and cheerful to play them on. There's a brand of players called GPO with kind of retro styling. Bought one for £35 in Richer Sounds in Bristol. 100+ miles away.

Played old 45's fine, played 33's fine. Didn't play 78's, they were way too fast. Checked everything and even read the manual ! So something wrong.

The Mrs called Richer Sounds and some rude b****rd made out that we were stupid and didn't want to know.

Called a GPO customer service number, explained everything including the attitude of Richer Sounds. Young lady said that not worth picking on original one up, so will just send a new one. Arrived less than 24 hours later, and it works fine  :y

It's just so nice to have a good experience for a change. But I do wish I had bought it HMV or somewhere else. I know it's only a real cheapo, but Richer Sounds were just a***holes.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: It's not often I'm impressed, but . . .
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2016, 15:22:31 »

Well, by record player standard, they're a pile of rubbish.... in the same way that a modern Kia, Hyundai etc is a pile of rubbish. It does exactly what it says on the tin, flawlessly, and probably for a good few years too. Might not have the 'soul' of a old one, but for that money it'll no doubt do you fine. A mate has one and very happy with. My missus loves her vintage record players, we've got two or three. As you say, nice to get something positive.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2016, 16:00:16 »

Well, by record player standard, they're a pile of rubbish.... in the same way that a modern Kia, Hyundai etc is a pile of rubbish. It does exactly what it says on the tin, flawlessly, and probably for a good few years too. Might not have the 'soul' of a old one, but for that money it'll no doubt do you fine. A mate has one and very happy with. My missus loves her vintage record players, we've got two or three. As you say, nice to get something positive.

Absolutely. I have a decent Rega record deck, but I'm not letting the Mrs play her 78's on it !
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

2boxerdogs

« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2016, 20:22:24 »

Well I must have been lucky with my Hyundai almost 11 years old never failed an MOT uses no oil goes anywhere & tows anything with ease , if that's rubbish hope to have many more  😂😂😂

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2016, 11:37:47 »

No, that's my point - say to anyone 'I have a Hyundai' [or other korean affair] and you'll get derisory responses 'ahh they're rubbish, haha, couldn't you afford a car?' etc... but they do what the say they'll do, go and stop, start every cold and frosty morning, they may not arouse the loins, but they never promise to either - and are actually perfectly good, really  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2016, 14:52:54 »

No, that's my point - say to anyone 'I have a Hyundai' [or other korean affair] and you'll get derisory responses 'ahh they're rubbish, haha, couldn't you afford a car?' etc... but they do what the say they'll do, go and stop, start every cold and frosty morning, they may not arouse the loins, but they never promise to either - and are actually perfectly good, really  :)
Just like supermarket value biscuits...
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2016, 18:25:45 »

Got to admit it was cheap £5495 in 2012 ,25,000 miles & only one owner now done nearly 60,000 miles easy to service & the local dealership is excellent. Looks great when it's clean !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.