Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Isnt technology wonderful!  (Read 1747 times)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
Isnt technology wonderful!
« on: 11 September 2016, 18:16:55 »

We used to have a radio and a data unit in the cars for 'taxi' work, which used to work fairly ok if you didn't park in a 'dead' spot or go out of range of the transmitter.

Now 'because we can' the radio's and data units have been ripped out and replaced with an app on a phone. Suppose to be brilliant, which in some respects it is better than the 'old' way of doing things. ie you never go out of range is one example, another is the app has a 'meter' which tracks you via GPS, so the at the end of the journey the fare is displayed in big red numbers, so no disputing the fare!

Downside the app hammers the battery, even when plugged into the charger in my car the battery still gradually goes down! But when its using the data connection and GPS all the time, that's expected I guess  :-\

Another downside is, if you should actually use the phone to actually make a phone call, better make it quick, coz the app carnt receive a job if your on a phone call!

Old system use to send to the data unit a map which showed you the pickup point and the destination which was handy if you couldn't quite remember where exactly they were and saved you looking in a map book.

New system uses google maps to show you the way to both places, which is great if it works....on my phone every time I hit the 'get me there' button, google maps use to fire and then complain it couldn't connect to maps.

So ive just spent the last hour googling the problem and checking settings, which all seemed ok. Then I found a web page that suggested deleting the cache......so I found a button on my phone that said 'delete all cache for all apps' so that's what I did.

Google maps appears to working correctly now from the 'taxi' app so i'll see how it goes this week  :-\

This morning spent an hour fixing the problem of my notebook not shutting down correctly after the win10 update.

So, thats 2 hours today of my life sorting out problems caused by 'advancing' technology. Aint it great!!  :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Isnt technology wonderful!
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2016, 18:20:52 »

Turned to Uber?  ;D

They all use the Mobile App based system, from a customers perspective it's really good. But it does mean they have cables everywhere!

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2016, 18:33:25 »

Turned to Uber?  ;D

They all use the Mobile App based system, from a customers perspective it's really good. But it does mean they have cables everywhere!

Definitely not, Even tho Uber has bought an operators license for Swindon, they will never come here......

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2016, 19:11:31 »

Sometimes an old simple way of doing things with some Human intervention is best, your probably find your old system was designed with a particular job at hand with feedback from the real world and the workers built into the initial design.

The problem these days, is far too many Apps are built around the developer, normally a single minded person who decides how things should work based on the development tools in his procession.

Google Maps wouldn't be my first choice for a 24 hour Mobile Application, relying on an Internet connection, you need the Maps Data Base spinning around in the Devices Memory ready and waiting.   
« Last Edit: 11 September 2016, 19:15:47 by zirk »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2016, 19:38:24 »

Turned to Uber?  ;D

Definitely not, Even tho Uber has bought an operators license for Swindon, they will never come here......

Famous and last words.
Hoof'land storeman.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2016, 19:53:12 »

Apps , bluddy apps. Wasted about 50 minutes today trying to put Whatsapp app on my dumb Ipad . Couldn't even load it onto an Iphone. I am beginning to regret not having children. maybe the answer is to adopt or keep my head in the sand. ;D ;D

PS don't talk to me about cables. Got all manner of things always being charged up EVERY day

So no technology isn't wonderful....
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2016, 18:28:20 »

Turned to Uber?  ;D

Famous and last words.

They might try....but wont last long.....Swindon has nearly the lowest fares in the West....they wanna try undercutting them, good luck to them....and their drivers  ;)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2016, 18:30:51 »

Well, it was a fail with google maps today......tried it once and again it complained it couldn't connect to maps.....so I don't understand it now.....worked fine last night.....today it wouldn't play ball again...  :-\

Tho I am wondering if its niffnaff buggering about with my data connection.....altho ive never had a problem with surfing the net....  :-\

Or google maps before I had the 'taxi' app installed.....so maybe it isn't niffnaff at all....

Does anyone know if an app is using the gps on the phone, if another app can use the gps as well?? Maybe that's the problem  :-\
« Last Edit: 12 September 2016, 18:37:51 by TD »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2016, 18:45:18 »

Well, it was a fail with google maps today......tried it once and again it complained it couldn't connect to maps.....so I don't understand it now.....worked fine last night.....today it wouldn't play ball again...  :-\

Tho I am wondering if its niffnaff buggering about with my data connection.....altho ive never had a problem with surfing the net....  :-\

Or google maps before I had the 'taxi' app installed.....so maybe it isn't niffnaff at all....

Does anyone know if an app is using the gps on the phone, if another app can use the gps as well?? Maybe that's the problem  :-\
Loads of Apps can use GPS at the same time, do you have the ability to purge GPS info.

Download Here Maps, then download the UK Map Data to your Phone or SD Card, that way the Map Data is local on the phone, if you choose to use Internet it will purely be for a Address Search Enhancement or Live Traffic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.