Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.0 won't start  (Read 4057 times)

Celes

• Koper
    • Signum 3.0V6
    • View Profile
3.0 won't start
« on: 27 September 2016, 20:40:09 »

Lads maybe you can shed some light on this. My mate's Omega 3.0 won't start. It's throwing the typical fault code "19"...we replaced the crank sensor but the engine still won't start.

Any ideas?!

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 won't start
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2016, 20:54:16 »

Is it trying to start when was the last time it started and did it start o.k. have you tried looking at the coil pack.....what year is it...

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2016, 20:55:31 »

Is it a pre face or a facelift?

Celes

• Koper
    • Signum 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2016, 21:00:27 »

It gave no indication that it would die. He drove it for 30minutes, started it again to move it 500m and then when he has to leave it refused to start. It turns over fine and has spark on all 6 cylinders. It's the facelifted version...year 1999.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2016, 21:05:46 »

It gave no indication that it would die. He drove it for 30minutes, started it again to move it 500m and then when he has to leave it refused to start. It turns over fine and has spark on all 6 cylinders. It's the facelifted version...year 1999.

Crank it over with the throttle open for about 30 seconds. If it starts, or coughs and splutters occasionally then it is flooded.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2016, 22:43:43 »

Lads maybe you can shed some light on this. My mate's Omega 3.0 won't start. It's throwing the typical fault code "19"...we replaced the crank sensor but the engine still won't start.

Any ideas?!

Genuine GM?

Celes

• Koper
    • Signum 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2016, 22:46:57 »

No idea mate, but I don't think so.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2016, 23:01:48 »

If it has a spark, the crank sensor must be working.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2016, 22:39:54 »

Experience on here suggests that non-GM crank sensors are not always reliable. :y

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2016, 08:09:13 »

Experience on here suggests that non-GM crank sensors are not always reliable. :y

Just to add there is no such thing as a GM crank sensor. The X20XEV OEM is made by Siemens. Not sure who makes the V6 sensor.

So as long as you make sure it's the OEM then no need to buy from GM. I always use CES as they sell the Siemens sensors for all my X20XEV engined cars.

Funny thing is you can see where the GM logo has been melted away and only the Siemens logo remains.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2016, 09:50:32 »

Just to add there is no such thing as a GM crank sensor. The X20XEV OEM is made by Siemens. Not sure who makes the V6 sensor.

So as long as you make sure it's the OEM then no need to buy from GM. I always use CES as they sell the Siemens sensors for all my X20XEV engined cars.

Funny thing is you can see where the GM logo has been melted away and only the Siemens logo remains.

Fair point, what is actually made in that factory? The panels would be pressed there, I suppose, but all a car is, is an assembly of close-fitting separate products. Siemens, as you say as well as Bosch, depending on the model, are the Crank Sensors.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2016, 09:52:20 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2016, 12:01:52 »

Siemens, as you say as well as Bosch, depending on the model, are the Crank Sensors.

But, just because it has Bosch on the side, it doesn't mean it has been made to the same specifications as a sensor supplied to GM by Bosch. GM's supply contract with Bosch may well prohibit that.

This is the whole folly with "OEM brand" parts. You are taking a punt and, when you're dealing with a part that isn't particularly reliable when genuine, there is little room for quality to drop.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2016, 13:16:42 »

Exhibit A: M'lud the Lemforder wishbones, which were the OEM's for Vauxhall, but have dropped in quality in recent years, I believe.

I've got a no-name coil pack fitted, only bought because I thought it was an original, but on closer inspection it's aftermarket, but no maladies in 2 years and counting. But agreed, you have to be careful. Coil pack was nigh-on a freebie, so thought nothing of it. But on a £25 sensor, when you can get a genuine for about £50, how many cheapies do you bu before regretting, and just going genuine?

If I saw some ex-dealer stock, sort of thing, and it was cheap, I'd give it a go.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2016, 13:55:25 »

Siemens, as you say as well as Bosch, depending on the model, are the Crank Sensors.

But, just because it has Bosch on the side, it doesn't mean it has been made to the same specifications as a sensor supplied to GM by Bosch. GM's supply contract with Bosch may well prohibit that.

This is the whole folly with "OEM brand" parts. You are taking a punt and, when you're dealing with a part that isn't particularly reliable when genuine, there is little room for quality to drop.

Nonsense, GM would prohibit them selling the part direct for a period of time. But no manufacturer would bother to re tool just to make the same product.

And yes I work in manufacturing......

Aftermarket parts will not be the same. Some better, some not so good.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 September 2016, 14:16:06 »

Nonsense, GM would prohibit them selling the part direct for a period of time. But no manufacturer would bother to re tool just to make the same product.

And yes I work in manufacturing......

Aftermarket parts will not be the same. Some better, some not so good.

You've clearly never fitted a non GM V6 crank sensor... :-X

There's probably a thousand years and a billion miles of Omega ownership behind this forum. Advice is given on the basis of that experience and should not be dismissed or countered lightly.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.