Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I think my astra will be going soon  (Read 10945 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: I think my astra will be going soon
« Reply #75 on: 09 October 2016, 19:53:21 »

TBH, I'm pissed off and disappointed at the prospect of having to keep an 'ordinary' car for daily use. I promised myself that, when I was 60, I'd get myself a luxury barge with a bit of poke to run around in. When that didn't happen, I moved it to 65. I'm 63 now and there's nothing out there that I can get excited about. Autotrader promises much but, in the flesh, I find most cars I look at to be nothing special.
A 1.4 astra is be laughed at by car enthusiasts, obviously. But when I put my sensible head on, it just ticks all the boxes. When I took it for it's MOT yesterday, I had done 13,500 miles since the last one. Imagine the money I'd have spent on fuel and maintenance on an 'old cruiser'.  :(

50 years ago they had the same reaction to an 1160HB Viva, which was the equivalent, or 1.0l Anglias. But they're sought after now. By definition, ordinary, every-day cars have always been ordinary at the time. Omegas were the equivalent in the large car class; just solid, decent value, useful tools.

A sensibly bought old cruiser might not have cost much in maintenance, although fuel would have been more, but beyond comfortable and reliable what do you really want from a car? My needs and wants have both changed drastically, and I find myself considering building a silly but usable toy(with some spare cash the Caterham 160 would be top of my list) and keeping the Omega because it is hard to replace. Impossible to replace for a similar amount of money.

Because of my circumstances this year, I expect my annual mileage to well under 5000 miles. I reckon that over the last 28 years, my annual private mileage is about 25,000!

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 09 October 2016, 22:12:10 »

Steve -  as you know I have the Phaeton (diesel) and an Astra (petrol). But it depends on your real needs ( vehicular that is!!). If I was not making regular motorway trips then there is no way I would have the Phaeton even though it is a real pleasure to drive. I actually like the Astra a lot for local use as does my young grandson who loves it. If you are not clocking miles up then let the head rule.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

STEMO

« Reply #77 on: 09 October 2016, 22:19:46 »

Steve -  as you know I have the Phaeton (diesel) and an Astra (petrol). But it depends on your real needs ( vehicular that is!!). If I was not making regular motorway trips then there is no way I would have the Phaeton even though it is a real pleasure to drive. I actually like the Astra a lot for local use as does my young grandson who loves it. If you are not clocking miles up then let the head rule.
Sound advice, Phil, but what about the little man inside my head, what should I tell him?  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #78 on: 09 October 2016, 22:29:32 »

I had two E class 3.2's bookmarked. Just deleted them. Thanks, Phil.  :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 10 October 2016, 06:34:09 »

My needs are a very economical car and a car I actually enjoy owning and driving. The Omega is the second one.
Having said that, it could be going up for sale soon as I have seen a car I would enjoy even more. Problem is its somewhere near Chester.
I suspect getting from here to there would involve a long day and several trains.  ::)
Theres also the fact that I have put a lot of money and time into the Omega in 5 months of ownership, and I will never get it back when I sell it. But then I knew that when I spent the money.
Anyway - we are on this earth but a short time, so imo, you should find something you really like and go for it. The enjoyment from owning and driving it should more than make up for the money it costs you.
They say our last regrets are usually about the things we didn't do rather than the things we did.  ;)
A bit philosophical for a Monday morning.  ;D
« Last Edit: 10 October 2016, 06:40:30 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #80 on: 10 October 2016, 07:55:05 »

My needs are a very economical car and a car I actually enjoy owning and driving. The Omega is the second one.
Having said that, it could be going up for sale soon as I have seen a car I would enjoy even more. Problem is its somewhere near Chester.
I suspect getting from here to there would involve a long day and several trains.  ::)
Theres also the fact that I have put a lot of money and time into the Omega in 5 months of ownership, and I will never get it back when I sell it. But then I knew that when I spent the money.
Anyway - we are on this earth but a short time, so imo, you should find something you really like and go for it. The enjoyment from owning and driving it should more than make up for the money it costs you.
They say our last regrets are usually about the things we didn't do rather than the things we did.  ;)
Have you been reading books again, Paddy?  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 10 October 2016, 09:21:02 »

They say our last regrets are usually about the things we didn't do rather than the things we did;)

Yes.....better to regret what you did rather than didn't do.

Now get that Italian supercar ordered. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 10 October 2016, 09:22:27 »

Buy something that gives you a stiffy. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 10 October 2016, 09:28:08 »

Is that a Trump quote M'lewd?  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 10 October 2016, 09:34:30 »

Don't like Trump but he does seem to 'understand' women. ::) ::) ;)

I imagine he gets more pussy than your average seventy year old ginger idiot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 10 October 2016, 09:34:48 »

Don't like Trump but he does seem to 'understand' women. ::) ::) ;)

I imagine he gets more pussy than your average seventy year old ginger idiot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 10 October 2016, 13:25:56 »

Have you been reading books again, Paddy?  ;D

You offer a word of kind advice to a thieving scouse T wat and that's the thanks you get.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 10 October 2016, 19:47:44 »

What and Where?  Could be possible to take a quick look.....

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 17 queries.