Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How NOT to join a motorway  (Read 6205 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: How NOT to join a motorway
« Reply #15 on: 30 October 2016, 15:36:15 »

do what ido i close my eyes put my foot down and pray to the devil or i slow down and let them out then put the fear or god in to them
i think iys called tailgateing  some just wont learn how to do it properly
???
I believe the expression is 'Nothing left to lose'...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2016, 10:04:16 »

I am speechless at that vid. SO glad you had opportunity to move over.

Could have had a similar thing the other day, as I was 'boxed in' on my right, but luckily had many, many yards of space (and no-one behind) to slow down and let him in, but another three of four seconds later, and a similar event as that may have happened.

Glad it didn't end in injury/damage  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2016, 17:16:47 »

The majority of the fault obviously lies with the driver of the other car; the manner of their driving led to a dangerous situation. However, a certain amount of responsibility I think lies with you. Once you were aware of the developing situation you could have adjusted your speed. You were aware there was a slip road, and that they maybe other cars attempting to join the motorway, and we all know that there are people out there whose driving falls below a satisfactory standard and think it is ok to drive like this.

I'd rather not have a collision, than be in the right with a damaged car and injuries. Think defensive driving. It would be nice if everybody followed the rules of the road, until then we have to drive for other people.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 October 2016, 17:44:04 »

The majority of the fault obviously lies with the driver of the other car; the manner of their driving led to a dangerous situation. However, a certain amount of responsibility I think lies with you. Once you were aware of the developing situation you could have adjusted your speed. You were aware there was a slip road, and that they maybe other cars attempting to join the motorway, and we all know that there are people out there whose driving falls below a satisfactory standard and think it is ok to drive like this.

I'd rather not have a collision, than be in the right with a damaged car and injuries. Think defensive driving. It would be nice if everybody followed the rules of the road, until then we have to drive for other people.

I had just joined at that slip road and this other car was BEHIND me on the slip road. An artic moved out into the middle lane to allow us in, with another artic coming up in the inside lane. I speed matched the one behind me and the overtaking one was by my rear right wheel.

If I brake I have an artic up my arse, if I swerve I have an artic in my right wing, if I accelerate I ram the vehicle in front.

I was taught, as a car driver, an HGV driver and a PSV driver, that you should never take an action that causes another vehicle to accelerate, brake or move on the road. I was also taught that mirrors are as important as looking forwards, so I KNEW what was behind me and to my right.

This idiot "undertook" me, forced his way on, and then undertook other vehicles. Luckily for me the artic driver in the middle lane reacted to the sound of my horn blowing and braked, allowing me to move. The 44 tonne artic behind might not have reacted had I braked, and there is no reason for him to expect me to brake.

I completely fail to see how "I have to take responsibility" for this incident, where a prat totally ignores "Give Way" road markings, or what I could have done SAFELY ...... note the last word... it's in capitals for your benefit.

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2016, 19:00:34 »

I had just joined at that slip road and this other car was BEHIND me on the slip road.

A detail missing from your original post ;) Myself (and several others who've already replied, I suspect) assumed you were already on the motorway and dipstick (him) was beside you on the slip road.. not that you were in front of him on the sliproad and dipstick (him, again) had failed to take his meds that morning.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2016, 19:09:52 »

I had just joined at that slip road and this other car was BEHIND me on the slip road.

A detail missing from your original post ;) Myself (and several others who've already replied, I suspect) assumed you were already on the motorway and dipstick (him) was beside you on the slip road.. not that you were in front of him on the sliproad and dipstick (him, again) had failed to take his meds that morning.

Apologies, didn't think it needed saying as a) why would I be travelling slowly in the inside lane then accelerate and move out (once the artic in the middle lane had braked) when the road was clear b) I am clearly "established" in the lane when he undertakes me.

EDIT

Just looked at the posted vid again .. and the first 2 seconds do show me joining the motorway ... but I accept it would be easily missed
« Last Edit: 31 October 2016, 19:15:32 by Entwood »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2016, 20:12:55 »

I just assumed you were some old duffer crawling up the inside lane at 50 mph, forcing HGV's to overtake and the guy in the slip didn't see you because you were going so slowly!  :P  ;D  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 October 2016, 20:18:40 »

I just assumed you were some old duffer pikey crawling up the inside lane at 50 mph, forcing HGV's to overtake and the guy in the slip didn't see you because you were going so slowly!  :P  ;D  ;)

FTFY ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 31 October 2016, 20:24:02 »

Here we go, sympathy for the first two pages...and then it starts  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 01 November 2016, 08:30:49 »

Apologies, didn't think it needed saying as a) why would I be travelling slowly in the inside lane then accelerate and move out (once the artic in the middle lane had braked) when the road was clear b) I am clearly "established" in the lane when he undertakes me.

A rear facing camera would help there as no doubt we'd have seen him behind you up the slip road and still behind (and to the left) of you once you'd joined the carriageway.

Must admit I missed the join at the beginning of the video. :y

Here we go, sympathy for the first two pages...and then it starts  ;D

Only people as respected as Entwood get two pages of sympathy .. usually the merciless ribbing starts much sooner! ;D

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 November 2016, 10:50:26 »

I had just joined at that slip road and this other car was BEHIND me on the slip road. An artic moved out into the middle lane to allow us in, with another artic coming up in the inside lane. I speed matched the one behind me and the overtaking one was by my rear right wheel.

If I brake I have an artic up my arse, if I swerve I have an artic in my right wing, if I accelerate I ram the vehicle in front.

I was taught, as a car driver, an HGV driver and a PSV driver, that you should never take an action that causes another vehicle to accelerate, brake or move on the road. I was also taught that mirrors are as important as looking forwards, so I KNEW what was behind me and to my right.

This idiot "undertook" me, forced his way on, and then undertook other vehicles. Luckily for me the artic driver in the middle lane reacted to the sound of my horn blowing and braked, allowing me to move. The 44 tonne artic behind might not have reacted had I braked, and there is no reason for him to expect me to brake.

I completely fail to see how "I have to take responsibility" for this incident, where a prat totally ignores "Give Way" road markings, or what I could have done SAFELY ...... note the last word... it's in capitals for your benefit.

Ah yes, apologies. I missed that bit at the start where you had just joined. It is there only not for long! As Aaron said most people would look and think you were already on the motorway, as I did. If it was a situation where you already were on the motorway I would stand by what I said. However in this case the French piece of shit should be cubed with the driver still in it yippeeee  :D
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 November 2016, 18:22:06 »

I had just joined at that slip road and this other car was BEHIND me on the slip road........

As the driver of a German brand  ::)  I can immediately see the problem when I watch the video clip.
We find that the best approach is to launch yourself on to the slip road flat out to put as great a distance as possible between you and the vehicle behind. Whilst doing so we use our finely honed skills to spot a clear diagonal path straight to lane 3. When established in lane 3 we can settle down for a more relaxing journey.  :y
If you re-watch the video you will see that a golden opportunity to do just this was missed at just 4 seconds in to the clip.  :y
I'm not wrong am I, the diagonal gap is clearly there for the taking.  ;)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 November 2016, 18:30:35 »

And being a straight line, you don't even need to indicate  :D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 November 2016, 18:32:54 »

And being a straight line, you don't even need to indicate  :D

Exactly.  ;)  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 November 2016, 18:36:10 »

The only caveat being that you exit lane two at at least 80...

For the carrot munching naysayers, you can't be hindering or rear ended by a vehicle from which you are pulling away :-X
« Last Edit: 01 November 2016, 18:37:45 by Doctor Gollum »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.