Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A quick question for those who know a little about HiFi  (Read 1990 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
A quick question for those who know a little about HiFi
« on: 11 December 2016, 10:38:42 »

I've been a bit of a Mission fanatic since I bought my first pair of speakers back in 1984.
Currently, I have a first gen Cyrus 2 amp and a absolutely lovely sounding PCM 7000 non oversampling CD player along with various mission speakers that makes up both my Av system and a music system.

The problem is, the amp is getting tired sadly  :(
It is starting to get warm when left plugged in but off at the power button.
It has a few dry joints around the input sockets.
Also the source switch is starting to break up to the point that I cannot use the phono pre amp side and the push button power switch is getting sticky to the point that you get a  nice "pop" when you power it up.

As for the CD player, imho the sound is as good as the day I got it about 20 years ago but the CD draw will only open if you physically pull the front flap down with your finger nail when pressing the open button.

Now i'm reasonably handy with PCB's and a soldering iron so i'm seriously thinking about stripping them down and replacing the selector switch and sorting out the dry joints.
I believe there is some components in there which was upgraded in later models which mine never had sadly.
Anybody know what was upgraded and where I can source these components ?

Just for the record, I am not interested in replacing anything with new models  ;)
It took me a long time to get this lot together and the sound I wanted  :)
Just looking to get these back to there best with maybe a little tweak here and there  :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question for those who know a little about HiFi
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2016, 11:10:52 »

TG, a quick Google harvested this:-
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Cyrus+2+upgrades

Is it what you wanted?

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2016, 12:22:57 »

Always been a bit of a Mission fan myself if Im honest, in between being a Sonud Engineer and before moving over to Radio Comms, I spent about 4 years as a HiFi Audio Engineer, worked for varies high end Co's, was on loan to Laskys for a while to help set there Demo Room in Tottenham Court Road, about the same time Mission were launching there products.

Managed to treat myself to a Pair of 770's Speakers when they first came out, but just couldn't afford there original Pre and Amp set up they launched around the same time, both the Pre Amp and Main Amp mouth watering good and sounded absolutely excellent, a pair of heavy Heat Sinks molded in there Logo, from memory you didn't get much change out of a couple of Grand to buy them which was a lot of money back in the Seventies.

Back to your question on your Amp, seems like a plan, and is probably well do able, dont know the Amp inside that well, but guessing its all about how easy or difficult it is to remove the main PCB assuming the replacment parts are soldered directly to it, let me know if I can assist in any way  TG.  ;)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2016, 12:31:29 »

Cheers Ron  :y

Helpful but looking more along the lines of components to possibly change (for the better)  and probably doing the work myself to keep the cost down  :)

I know most of the newer stuff can benefit from the in house signature factory upgrades but my stuff, especially the CD player was never included in that scheme.

I did notice that somebody was selling his upgraded his Pcm7000 with various more modern / faster / reliable components and was asking 250 quid on eBay  :-\

As for the amp, its not about a power upgrade  ..........
My amp is supposed to be around the 50 watts mark but when connected to my old 734's or the new to me M74's, 2 or 3 is more then enough to make the room bounce  ;D
I'd say the 50 watt claim is total 'dangle berries' personally given the size of the toroidal  transformer in the back of the thing  ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2016, 12:47:44 »

Always been a bit of a Mission fan myself if Im honest, in between being a Sonud Engineer and before moving over to Radio Comms, I spent about 4 years as a HiFi Audio Engineer, worked for varies high end Co's, was on loan to Laskys for a while to help set there Demo Room in Tottenham Court Road, about the same time Mission were launching there products.

Managed to treat myself to a Pair of 770's Speakers when they first came out, but just couldn't afford there original Pre and Amp set up they launched around the same time, both the Pre Amp and Main Amp mouth watering good and sounded absolutely excellent, a pair of heavy Heat Sinks molded in there Logo, from memory you didn't get much change out of a couple of Grand to buy them which was a lot of money back in the Seventies.

Back to your question on your Amp, seems like a plan, and is probably well do able, dont know the Amp inside that well, but guessing its all about how easy or difficult it is to remove the main PCB assuming the replacment parts are soldered directly to it, let me know if I can assist in any way  TG.  ;)

Very nice speakers them if sat on a decent stand  :y
I got bitten by the Mission love bug back in 1984 when I paid 100 quid for a brand new pair of 70 mk2's which still sound as warm and tight as the day I bought them  :y
In fact, they are sat on shelf's above my head now as rear speakers for the AV setup  :y :y
The thing is, once i've bought something, I never have the heart to sell it on hence the royal mish mash of various bits and pieces in my house  ::)

If I can find out what are the best components to replace and (price willing) where to get them from, I can definitely do the work myself  :y

I have just been told that the CD transport is a Philips mechanism so that may be a way to get the draw out without having to pull the door open manually  :-\

I've just treat myself to a (sorry TuBy SONY  ;D ;D)  Network enabled Bluray player because the dvd drive is shagged in my media centre

Ah decisions decisions  ;D

Just hope our lass doesn't find out what i'm plotting before its too late  :D :D

Cheers Chris  :)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2016, 12:55:59 »

Very nice speakers them if sat on a decent stand  :y
I got bitten by the Mission love bug back in 1984 when I paid 100 quid for a brand new pair of 70 mk2's which still sound as warm and tight as the day I bought them  :y
In fact, they are sat on shelf's above my head now as rear speakers for the AV setup  :y :y
The thing is, once i've bought something, I never have the heart to sell it on hence the royal mish mash of various bits and pieces in my house  ::)

If I can find out what are the best components to replace and (price willing) where to get them from, I can definitely do the work myself  :y

I have just been told that the CD transport is a Philips mechanism so that may be a way to get the draw out without having to pull the door open manually :-\

I've just treat myself to a (sorry TuBy SONY  ;D ;D)  Network enabled Bluray player because the dvd drive is shagged in my media centre

Ah decisions decisions  ;D

Just hope our lass doesn't find out what i'm plotting before its too late  :D :D

Cheers Chris  :)
What model and how old is it, the very early ones where mostly Sony/Phillips made as joint venture then re branded to suit, was about 2/3rds rack width from memory, reason I ask is it could open up a few more replacement draw possibilities.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2016, 09:59:09 »

Just be very wary of the modern Mission stuff which ahs gone steadily down hill.

As for the amp, the upgrades are likely to be smoothing and coupling capacitors and maybe the odd resistor tweaking the bias.

Output power is far more dependent on supply rail voltage so the 50W will probably be pretty accurate, I suspect its a Class AB output stage so pretty lossy and hence the need for a decent size transformer.

But Amplifiers are dead simple in reality so nothing to much to get worried about so get stuck in, get it working well first ad then look at what parts got changed.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2016, 12:53:54 »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all  :-[

Ended up at a god bothering remembrance service on Sunday and working yesterday  ;)

Chris, apparently the mech is a Philips CDM2 if that makes any sense  :-\

Agree Mark  :)

Luckily, my stuff is either before they sold up and moved the design / production to the far east OR after they came back  :y :y
I haven't bought any hardware (cd / amp ect) that was designed / made this century so should be okay on that front  ;D

To keep cost down because the lad has shelled out on a rather nice Alpine head unit for the car as a part of my Christmas box  :D, i'll probably attack the amp pcb with a soldering iron and replace the mains switch and the input selector switch first then see how funds are  :-\

Next task is to find out where I can get these components  :-\ :-\

The Mission factory went up in flames alone with there old spares stock quite a few years ago apparently so a it looks like that one is a non starter  :(

Anybody in (or has been in) the Hifi repair game help out on this ? .................

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 December 2016, 14:08:02 »

They are likely to be pretty standard bits so the likes of CPC, Digikey, RS etc should have most things.

The switches would probably respond quite well to contact cleaner as they have bugger all wetting current so the contacts oxidise.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2016, 17:02:24 »

My amp is supposed to be around the 50 watts mark but when connected to my old 734's or the new to me M74's, 2 or 3 is more then enough to make the room bounce  ;D
I'd say the 50 watt claim is total 'dangle berries' personally given the size of the toroidal  transformer in the back of the thing  ;D

That's more than likely the RMS power figure on an amp of that era.
Power output is usually quoted PMPO on new cheaper stuff these days and is a lot lower than the RMS figure, power output wise  :y

I have an surround sound 5:1 that is probably 20 years old now. Its got a claimed output of 125W RMS/channel. I could believe it, going by the thickness of speaker wire to four of the speakers. The bass speaker has a thinner audio cable going to it, as it is mains powered.
I carnt turn it up more than 2 or 3 (out of 10) for normal use. I once turned it up to 6 or 7 but quickly had to turn it back down again before the neighbours complained  ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2016, 20:28:17 »

Power output is usually quoted PMPO on new cheaper stuff these days and is a lot lower than the RMS figure, power output wise  :y

I have an surround sound 5:1 that is probably 20 years old now. Its got a claimed output of 125W RMS/channel. I could believe it, going by the thickness of speaker wire to four of the speakers. The bass speaker has a thinner audio cable going to it, as it is mains powered.
I carnt turn it up more than 2 or 3 (out of 10) for normal use. I once turned it up to 6 or 7 but quickly had to turn it back down again before the neighbours complained  ;D

Old Yamaha by any chance ?

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2016, 05:11:52 »

Old Yamaha by any chance ?

Ummm...No ...Begins with a S ends with a Y and had ON in the middle  ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2016, 12:55:25 »

Any amp worth turning your head to look at will be quoted in RMS  :y

Just remember, to double the output volume you have to go from 50W to 500W drive power for a given speaker arrangement.

Also the volume controls tend to be a marketing gimmick, with a 1V input I will be clipping at an indicated 4-5 on most amplifiers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.