Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down

Author Topic: One for the BMW haters- fill yer boots!  (Read 29945 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: One for the BMW haters- fill yer boots!
« Reply #240 on: 20 March 2017, 11:51:18 »

What is your budget, Jimmy?

Flexible up to about £40k (financed). However all decisions will have to wait. I have a second interview on Tuesday which, if successful would necessitate a company car (probably around 35-40k miles/yr). That being the case I would look at a hybrid of some sort for BIK reasons.

Given my recent experiences I have a different perspective on reliability of cars. So a big part of me just wants to plump for a Range Rover. The 5.0 seems to be available for around £20k with low mileage, seems to make more sense than the 4.4 tdv8

Not a big fan of the Range Rooney. It is essentially a glorified van with windows. Even with the 5.0 V8 it will still be glacially slow as it weighs about the same as an ocean going liner. :)

Having driven the 5.0 supercharged V8, I can confirm it's fairly rapid....... in a straight line.

But yes, boat like in the corners.  ;D

Yes. When I say slow I don't mean Omega 2.2 performance. However, the Range Rooney weighs about 2500KG and even with 500 BHP the acceleration will be reduced. 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 20 March 2017, 12:16:59 »

I find slowish cars that go round corners well much more satisfying than fast cars that wallow about all over the place. For that reason, I'm out. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 20 March 2017, 12:26:29 »

My mate had a Range Rover Sport with a supercharged 3ltr V6 and it was a superb car to drive!  :y

The load capacity was rubbish though as the back seats didn't fold flat.  We went camping and struggled to get 2 blokes, 2 boogie boards, camping equipment, a dog and beer in it!  ::)

Although it went like shit off a shovel and went round corners like a go-kart, it did feel a bit like a chav-mobile though....  :-X  ;D
« Last Edit: 20 March 2017, 12:29:36 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 20 March 2017, 12:47:22 »

My mate had a Range Rover Sport with a supercharged 3ltr V6 and it was a superb car to drive!  :y

The load capacity was rubbish though as the back seats didn't fold flat.  We went camping and struggled to get 2 blokes, 2 boogie boards, camping equipment, a dog and beer in it!  ::)

Although it went like shit off a shovel and went round corners like a go-kart, it did feel a bit like a chav-mobile though....  :-X  ;D

Is this the same engine as used in the F-Type?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 20 March 2017, 13:19:37 »

The sensible choice of course is to do none of those things, but to fit an lpg kit, a better stereo and to buy an investment flat.  ;D
I would wait until the consequences of article 50 and the subsequent Brexit negotiations become clear. Anything is possible at the moment, both good and bad.  :y

Very true, but at the side of a new car, which will lose you (in the case of the BMW) £22k in 4 years, even a real dip in the property market would look interstellar by comparison. I am of the view that people have to live somewhere and 2 bed flats in the 40-60k range will always make a sound 6-8% return, regardless of a lack of capital growth. As long as someone else is paying the mortgage, I'm happy with only keeping about pace with inflation in the long term.  :y

It is indeed, tbh I hadn't realised that the storage space in the new ones was so poor. The parents' P38 would swallow 2 adults a bathroom suite (and tiles) with ease.

STEMO

« Reply #245 on: 20 March 2017, 13:28:44 »

Leave it till after April 1st. You can pay the new tax rate then.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 20 March 2017, 13:44:45 »

It is indeed, tbh I hadn't realised that the storage space in the new ones was so poor. The parents' P38 would swallow 2 adults a bathroom suite (and tiles) with ease.

It was the Range Rover Sport I refered to, so not sure what the load capacity of the Full Fat Rangie is.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 20 March 2017, 14:02:14 »

Probably around a third greater...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 20 March 2017, 14:20:32 »

The sensible choice of course is to do none of those things, but to fit an lpg kit, a better stereo and to buy an investment flat.  ;D
I would wait until the consequences of article 50 and the subsequent Brexit negotiations become clear. Anything is possible at the moment, both good and bad.  :y

Very true, but at the side of a new car, which will lose you (in the case of the BMW) £22k in 4 years, even a real dip in the property market would look interstellar by comparison. I am of the view that people have to live somewhere and 2 bed flats in the 40-60k range will always make a sound 6-8% return, regardless of a lack of capital growth. As long as someone else is paying the mortgage, I'm happy with only keeping about pace with inflation in the long term.  :y

Ah.....I see a trip to Hull or Middlesbrough in my crystal ball. ;)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 20 March 2017, 16:16:37 »

No need to travel so far afield for me. There's a wealth of such property in the Telford, Birmingham and stoke areas.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: 20 March 2017, 16:21:43 »

One thing is for sure, there is a big lack of petrol Estates with 'normal' engines.

I just watched couple of reviews of the new Galaxy, both of the reviews when it came to engines mentioned and I quote "2 pointless petrols" and two diesels.  :-\

So you really are snookered and without choice if you want a 2.0 or even 3.0 petrol cars, no doubt someone will post links to the odd one but the choice is really, really limiting.

Say around £10k, there are 43 Mondeo Estates on AT. Of which just 3 are the older shape, they quickly jump to £15k examples, some with 1.0 Ecoboost engines!  :o

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 20 March 2017, 16:41:33 »

One thing is for sure, there is a big lack of petrol Estates with 'normal' engines.

I just watched couple of reviews of the new Galaxy, both of the reviews when it came to engines mentioned and I quote "2 pointless petrols" and two diesels.  :-\

So you really are snookered and without choice if you want a 2.0 or even 3.0 petrol cars, no doubt someone will post links to the odd one but the choice is really, really limiting.

Say around £10k, there are 43 Mondeo Estates on AT. Of which just 3 are the older shape, they quickly jump to £15k examples, some with 1.0 Ecoboost engines:o

In a car the size and weight of a Mondeo. :o :o :o :o :o

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 20 March 2017, 16:59:40 »

0 to 60 in ten mins then? Blimey, that seems really under powered. :o

Lincs Robert

« Reply #254 on: 20 March 2017, 17:35:11 »

Say around £10k, there are 43 Mondeo Estates on AT. Of which just 3 are the older shape, they quickly jump to £15k examples, some with 1.0 Ecoboost engines!  :o

The 2.5T Volvo unit only made it upto 2009MY in the Mk4. Sales only made up about 2% of Mondeo sales - so it got pulled.  :(
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.