Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mondeo valuation  (Read 3799 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Mondeo valuation
« on: 11 February 2017, 19:45:11 »

I'd rather not go into the details, but to cut a long story short a relative of ours has become a little unwell and is no longer able to drive. He has offered us first refusal on his car. None of us have any idea of it's true value, so thought I would post here for opinions on both the motor itself, and it's potential value. It will be offered at a family rate, but equally I don't want to take the piss.

The car is a 2010 plate Mondeo 2.0 Diesel (dunno which spec) manual. No idea on service history. About 80k miles. MOT expires in April, advisories on last one for brake discs and pads. The aircon is inoperative - maybe just in need of a top up. 2 or 3 previous owners. Otherwise extremely tidy and although I haven't yet driven it, I'm told it drives spot on. Last year the engine light was on a lot with no apparent drop on in performance, but I think it's now gone off. I'm not sure it was ever investigated or a conclusion found.

I wouldn't normally look twice, but as from next month I am likely to be doing 70 miles a day for work, so the alleged combined 62mpg online is quite appealing. Has been used to tow a 2 birth caravan for the last 4 years but only on a couple of long trips each year.

Any thoughts on both the car, and what a sensible offer would be, would be very appreciated :y

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
Re: Mondeo valuation
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2017, 20:27:02 »

You'll soon be stripping it down. EGR plus turbo/breather oil shits up the intake like nothing else around. Injectors will fail daily, as will DMF, possibly turbo, and even if they don't it's still a hateful piece of cheap crap.  :P

Value... I'll offer him/her a bag for it  :)       ...but seriously, just search on AT for an unrealistic price, ebay for the real price and then Bumtree for the "get shot of it quick" price  ;)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2017, 21:22:15 »

On a 7yo 2L TD Mondeo with a 5speed box that I expect it has, i'd expect an average return of 40mpg, certainly no more than 45mpg.

My 4.5yo 1.6TD with 6 speed box also with 'eco' technology  ::) just manages 50mpg average.....

Don't forget every year the manus try to squeeze more economy out of the engines.....

For a price.....I wouldn't pay more than £2k for it.....£1500 for family discount would be fair imo.....if its a tidy motor as you say it is....

Check all the steering wheel buttons work....rhs the most...seems a week link on some and means you cannot access some of the menus if the buttons don't work......check the front heated screen works.....mines packed up....not sure why....its suppose to be 2 different elements in the screen, with different relays and power/fuses for each side......the only thing common to the two heating elements is the earth apparently....so mine could be suffering from a bad earth I spose  :-\

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2017, 21:22:28 »

I never ran one. I have always found the Mondeos ugly and much uglier than the Vauxhalls counterparts. But, the MKIV Mondeo, which is what you are looking at, is actually good looking IMO. If they made it at least in AWD I might even have considered one.

But I agree with X30XE. A mate runs a diesel MKIV and has been having quite a few problems. But he seems to like the car as a whole since he is talking about swapping for a petrol one. He says the petrol ones are more reliable.  :-\

I guess if it was all bad he would just give up on it all together instead of swapping for another Mondeo. Many people swear they are a lot of car for the money. While others will spit on it. Pretty much the same situation as with any other car. Especially not being a Merc, Audi or BMW. There will be snobs and lovers.

If I was considering it, being a diesel at this point would be my biggest concern.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2017, 21:25:03 by anV6 »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2017, 21:38:55 »

Several colleagues have Mondeo diesels & love them none have mentioned having any problems with them, as for value around £1500 seems about right to me, I know that one of them had covered an enormous mileage and still looked very presentable.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2017, 21:39:15 »

Really depends on it's spec, I think the suggestions here are low. If it's a top spec one like this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701291775096?keywords=Titanium&radius=1500&maximum-mileage=80000&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2010&postcode=gu153au&make=FORD&model=MONDEO&year-to=2010&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

If you mention diesel here and it's all doom and gloom, the DPF will explode, this and that. I'd just ignore it and go for it, remember the Omega in it's day was not exactly known for reliability, but once you got to know them it was easy.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2017, 21:44:20 »

If you mention diesel here and it's all doom and gloom, the DPF will explode, this and that. I'd just ignore it and go for it, remember the Omega in it's day was not exactly known for reliability, but once you got to know them it was easy.

The Omega's 'issues' are largely cured by maintenance, or the replacement of cheap parts a little earlier than is preferable. Mondeo diesel breakages are unavoidable and will instantly cost you far more than you saved on petrol. This is why you can buy a respectable looking one for a few hundred quid.

It's a shame, because it could have been a damn good car.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2017, 21:56:02 »

The Omega's 'issues' are largely cured by maintenance, or the replacement of cheap parts a little earlier than is preferable. Mondeo diesel breakages are unavoidable and will instantly cost you far more than you saved on petrol. This is why you can buy a respectable looking one for a few hundred quid.

It's a shame, because it could have been a damn good car.

I suspect the Mondeo forums would disagree, not doubt there as well, basic service items and other tasks would vastly reduce issues. I looked at Mondoe, be it later versions and it was 'Ok' but lacked a quailty feel about it.

A car is only as good as it's previous owner, as well all know miles are not important it's how it's been looked after.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2017, 22:03:17 »

I'd have to agree with Tunnie,

Valuations for any car on this forum (regardless of type, age or manufacturer) seem to be very low to me. A quick look on eBay is showing a number of older Mondeo's (2008 I looked for) with excess of 100-120k on the clock being sold in auction format for £1500-2000. So valuing a newer one with lower mileage at £1-1.5k seems unrealistic to me.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2017, 23:11:41 »

Further to my earlier post... I've had 4 mondeo 2.0TDCi in the last 4 years, so I'm not just guessing what will fail/doom mongering/ imagining what it might be like to own one/talking out my ass...

And clearly it's worth more than the £1k I jokingly offered  ::) .  £2.7k - £5k (you havent stated body type or spec).
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2017, 23:28:09 »

And clearly it's worth more than the £1k I jokingly offered  ::) .  £2.7k - £5k (you havent stated body type or spec).

You say jokingly, but of the 3 people who had put a number to it, £1500 was about the most that had been suggested. Hence my comment, I wasn't directing it at you specifically, just the attitude of this forum generally to car values.

A friend of mine paid £5,800 for an '09 car, top spec (Tit x with rear entertainment in it) with 65k on it. That was an estate though, and from a dealer with full ford SH, as with others, the estate may carry a premium.

As has been suggested already, Mondeo's are very hard to value. At the one end of the scale, they're leather lined and full of tech. At the other, about as well equipped as a hermit's living room.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2017, 23:56:14 »

I completely agree Jimmy. Hence the need to distance myself from such silliness  ;)

However the heated and cooled seats of the Ghia XXXX Titanium Bronze Neodynium... are going to be of little comfort when you're sat at the side of the road with the glow plug light flashing at you. Again.  ::)  Having to cycle the ignition at 75mph in lane two to get the engine to come back to life whilst overtaking a lorry in the dark and the rain was only slightly less frightening than your BMW misadventures let me tell you  :o :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2017, 00:15:28 »

Having to cycle the ignition at 75mph in lane two to get the engine to come back to life whilst overtaking a lorry in the dark and the rain was only slightly less frightening than your BMW misadventures let me tell you  :o :)

Yikes! That sounds dreadful!

The only Mondeo I've ever owned was a very early Mk3 ghia x TDDI. Sounded like a canal boat that had dropped a cylinder but it was the motoring equivalent of a cockroach. If it were an auto I'd probably still have it (SWMBO is an auto only girl). And would probably be able to pass it onto my grandchildren  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2017, 10:47:56 »

DMF's seem to be even more fragile on Mundanos than most over cars - virtually everyone I know who has had a 2.0 common rail one has stuffed that distinctive knock/clunk at around the 60-100k mark.  Bill will be approaching £1k, as you'd be daft not to do clutch whilst there.

Injector failures seem to be common on these, and I know of 2 suffering turbo run-away - both with ford history, and over 100k.

DPFs seem to get a shorter life as engine wears. Guess it chucks more shit out. One I know of has one annually :o, though most of the time he only does a few miles each way. Guess that would impact any diesel though - I know of an Astra-H that knackers one every few months.

The "goodies" on the Titaniums seem to be fragile as well, and expensive to replace from Ford.
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2017, 11:05:17 »

I would imagine after comments re the Mondeo  , it will not be  in your driveway anytime soon.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.