Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: If you purchased a brand new motor....  (Read 9233 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: If you purchased a brand new motor....
« Reply #60 on: 31 March 2017, 18:27:21 »

http://www.ado16.info/feamormk1.shtml

So you spend £5000 in 1964 ( the cost of 2 houses)  and end up with rear lights from a poxy Austin 1100.  :-\

I seem to remember a sports car in the distant past that had the rear round light housings of a Mk1 Cortina saloon. :D :D

TVR Vixen.

That's the one!! :y :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 31 March 2017, 18:28:35 »

http://www.ado16.info/feamormk1.shtml

So you spend £5000 in 1964 ( the cost of 2 houses)  and end up with rear lights from a poxy Austin 1100.  :-\

Do you remember the Austin Vandam Plas with a 1300 engine:

These were very pricey at the time, and those that drove around in them thought they were posh.  All they were was a upgraded 1100! ::) ;D ;D ;D

They were quite nice at the time,certainly better than the VDP Allegro that followed

Yes, at least they had CHARACTER; the last BMC, later BL, cars that did! :D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 31 March 2017, 18:31:53 »

I had the dubious honour of owning the 1100, maxi and princess. I was a glutton for punishment  :(

You poor soul.  I would have jumped off a bridge! ;D ;D ;D

I reckoned I was soooo lucky to be driving around in Mk3/4 &5 Ford Cortina's ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 31 March 2017, 18:44:50 »

I had the dubious honour of owning the 1100, maxi and princess. I was a glutton for punishment  :(

I reckoned I was soooo lucky to be driving around in Mk3/4 &5 Ford Cortina's ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Th Mk5 Cortina was more a Mk4A really. Very few differences.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 31 March 2017, 18:56:24 »

But it was a better looking motor, with plastic corners to the bumpers, and upgraded plastic wheel nut covers! ::) ::) ;D ;D

PS and mine was a lovely deep ocean blue! :D
« Last Edit: 31 March 2017, 18:58:53 by Lizzie Zoom »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 31 March 2017, 19:11:14 »

Ford never made a Mk5 Cortina,if I remember rightly it was the Cortina80 or something along those lines.In the early '60's dad had a new VdP Princess 3L,gloss black with a gold coachline and a very,very red interior!He had it 2 months before refusing to take it back from the dealers after they'd installed it's 3rd new gearbox :o He went back to Humber Supersnipes after that until they stopped making them in '67.They were replaced every 2yrs as they were company[he worked for his father]cars.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 31 March 2017, 19:36:43 »

Ford never made a Mk5 Cortina,if I remember rightly it was the Cortina80 or something along those lines.In the early '60's dad had a new VdP Princess 3L,gloss black with a gold coachline and a very,very red interior!He had it 2 months before refusing to take it back from the dealers after they'd installed it's 3rd new gearbox :o He went back to Humber Supersnipes after that until they stopped making them in '67.They were replaced every 2yrs as they were company[he worked for his father]cars.

When I had my new MkV the Ford dealerships were calling it that.  They knew it would be the last Cortina, and they were dressing them up with extras to clear the stocks. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 31 March 2017, 19:38:38 »

A roof that's about 30mm higher is quite a big difference! Although the estates were the same.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 31 March 2017, 19:39:32 »

A roof that's about 30mm higher is quite a big difference! Although the estates were the same.

Yes, we had estates :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 31 March 2017, 20:07:11 »

But looking after it carefully will probably mean that it will become an ornament well before it is worn out unless it is electric and self driving, due to a combination of tree-huggers and health and safety, where self driving cars will end up being at least x10 safer than human driven ones by the mid-2020's. Human car safety is also not going to get better with an aging population and humans causing most of the accidents, will mean they will be banned.

The safety battle lines are already being drawn by Telsa where their current auto assist cars are x3 safer and with their next generation auto-assist coming out later this year they reckon this is going to massively improve things further.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 31 March 2017, 20:19:59 »

I'd have to agree. The fewer humans operating cars, the safer we will all become on the roads. TBH I welcome it. With commuting as it is today on our small island, I would like nothing better than to gain several hours each week where I could finish up work, read the paper or have a kip while my car took me to my destination.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 31 March 2017, 20:22:37 »

The small matter of it bringing about the end of personal freedom as we know it is somewhat concerning to me.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #72 on: 31 March 2017, 20:36:39 »

The small matter of it bringing about the end of personal freedom as we know it is somewhat concerning to me.
You are so right, Albs. Progress can be fantastic, if people want to progress. People enjoy driving, but where's the fun in robotic automobiles? I might go as far as driving an electric car. In fact, I think I'd like it. But that would be me driving it, not a computer.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 31 March 2017, 21:10:12 »

I'm a bit OCD about being in control of driving my car. I even switch off TC - when I remember, and would switch off ABS if I could and if it didn't invalidate my insurance.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 31 March 2017, 21:13:45 »

I think the old bastards among us hate the idea of losing control. :y The younger generation seem more compliant. :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.