Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: backbox  (Read 2064 times)

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
backbox
« on: 09 April 2017, 19:32:33 »

anyone know where you can get a remus/ irmscher or something similar backbox for omega v6 saloon ??

sen a few pics of peoples with nice backboxs and wouldnt mind one but dont know where to purchase from as guessing no longer made new

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
Re: backbox
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2017, 23:56:03 »

I have one from poland, Ulter sport, german I think

nice burble for alumized steel

there on ebay but the only thing is you have to cut the original pipes back so make sure you can get spares or keep the off cut so it can be welded back on

« Last Edit: 09 April 2017, 23:58:04 by frostbite »
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2017, 00:25:59 »

looks like the alu heat shield between the box and the spare tyre well has been removed is that wise?

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2017, 00:34:41 »

that looks nice (different) but nice exspensive?

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2017, 06:21:28 »

looks like the alu heat shield between the box and the spare tyre well has been removed is that wise?

The heat shields on modern cars past the downpipe/manifold are useless and serve no purpose except to collect crap in them.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2017, 07:36:12 »

That is steel on the Omega :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2017, 14:03:20 »

The heat shields on modern cars past the downpipe/manifold are useless and serve no purpose except to collect crap in them.
Backbox is quite near fuel tank ;).  I guess thats why with Irmscher twin exit backboxes, you get a fuel tank shield, as you have an exhaust running behind the tank then.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2017, 14:25:46 »

Backbox is quite near fuel tank ;).  I guess thats why with Irmscher twin exit backboxes, you get a fuel tank shield, as you have an exhaust running behind the tank then.
Can't speak for the saloon, but the estate certainly has two insulating layers between the rear box and the side of the tank. The extra sheild for the split exit irmscher exhaust is only a single piece as the cross pipe is after the back box, and presumably therefore, cooler :y

Incidentally, that too is steel...

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2017, 17:09:47 »

But at the back of the car the exhaust pipe doesn't even get hot really. Not even on my -67 Fairlane, and that has exhaust pipes on both sides of the fuel tank max 1cm from it, tight fit with 3" exhaust.
Hence why I think heat shields serve no purpose except to collect mud and crap on top of them to rust your car unless you are running something like a highly tuned turbo engine which sees way hotter exhaust temps than a regular car does. But even then, the need for heat shield beyond the downpipe is questionable if you ask me.

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2017, 17:42:27 »

True but I removed the heatshield because it rotted.

it was expensive but will no doubt last longer than the car

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2017, 15:01:35 »

That is steel on the Omega :-X

wrong ::)

i should know i've just re-secured it whilst replacing the exhaust - the fixings had corroded the alu and i used a stainless penny washer to re-fix.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2017, 15:07:06 by migmog »

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2017, 15:03:51 »

Can't speak for the saloon, but the estate certainly has two insulating layers between the rear box and the side of the tank. The extra sheild for the split exit irmscher exhaust is only a single piece as the cross pipe is after the back box, and presumably therefore, cooler :y

Incidentally, that too is steel...

they say a stopped clock is right at least once a day... ;)

yes the shield on the fuel tank side is steel :y.  the other side covering the spare wheel well is alu :y :y.  go and have a look :y :y :y.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2017, 15:08:11 by migmog »

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2017, 15:32:47 »

Just another note, the ulter backbox is considerably shorter than the oem, I don't have a pic but I'm not surprised, I can get a pic of the distance between the tank and the silencer if you want to see

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2017, 16:30:00 »

Migmog, I am not going to argue with you, partly because it is a waste of internet and partly because I don't have one to double check... but from experience of stripping one car for its rear exhaust hanger and attached chassis section and reattachment of said assembly to my car I reserve the right to ignore your input.

I do however accept that on my BMW, all the heat sheilds under the car are, in fact, aluminium. ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2017, 18:32:05 »

No why would you want a nice heat shield near the fuel tank, seems like un-necessary weight to me, or just another piece of junk to collect crap and go rotten ;D  :y
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.