Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Tower block fire  (Read 31805 times)

STEMO

Re: Tower block fire
« Reply #150 on: 20 June 2017, 12:51:27 »

I notice Littlejohn says that, if an election were held now, Labour could win it. So the tories better sort themselves out, because that really would be a disaster.
Middle of the road is, and always has been, the way forward. If the tories had been given the huge majority expected, they would have turned even nastier, repeating over and over, as Cameron did, that the public wanted this...they voted for it. (No, David, they voted for you because you were not quite as bad as the alternative).
On the other hand, the rag-tag bunch of chancers that passes for the Labour Party would have wrecked the economy once again, whilst trying to dodge Brexit and letting immigration run riot.
A minority conservative government was definitely the best outcome. Sensible policies tempered by the voice of reason.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 20 June 2017, 14:18:42 »

No one's mentioned it yet, but last nights BBC 1 Panorama (on iPlayer) London Tower Fire: Britain's Shame is very worth watching.

It explains what many of us on here have been saying. :'( :'(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 20 June 2017, 14:41:10 »

Ah, speculation and conjecture served with outrage... Panorama staples from its conception.

I will wait for the findings from the official investigation if that's alright.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #153 on: 20 June 2017, 14:49:40 »

Ah, speculation and conjecture served with outrage... Panorama staples from its conception.

I will wait for the findings from the official investigation if that's alright.
It's a shame, but does seem to be the norm, that these 'documentaries' always have a slant of some kind. Panorama used to be one of the best factual programmes on the telly but, although the facts are still presented, they are made to fit an agenda.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 20 June 2017, 17:55:02 »

Why TB are you assuming all those who lived in these flats are spongers?  Many of those have jobs, all be it not well paid ones.
Just by listening to them. They clearly think everybody owes them. I have been in so many homes of people with this mentality, in a former life, I can predict what they are going to say.  The storming of the council offices afterwards clearly sums it up.

I have known  grown up knowing people who live in "social housing" and 99% have jobs.  I live in a flat within what is considered "social housing", although many flats are privately leased.  I worked all my life until retirement, and now enjoy a healthy company pension reflecting my efforts. Many in my block either works, or like me are retired.  If I lost my flat because the whole block was destroyed, would you call me a "sponger" who is not entitled to help,  Remember, all of us are just one step away from losing everything and ending up on the street. ;)
Its not social housing - although anyone who has spent time in Milton Keynes (probably the first place to large scale implement the experiment of putting such housing in the more affluent areas in the hope it will lift the poorer families (obviously, the opposite happens, as even an idiot could have predicted)) - its those people who believe they take and not pay back.

LZ, if you lost your flat, I would hope your insurance would immediately find you an alternative, temporary solution within a day or 2 (sometimes these things are impossible the same day). Certainly mine were discussing that option until the fire service declared my house structurally unaffected several hours later. In the meantime, local friends had already offered temporary solutions, as had family a little further afield. Where are these people's friends and family? And don't say "in the same block", as that would imply it was very inbred, with little society integration.  But then, I've always said, scum breeds scum (granted scum is too harsh here, but that's the saying).

Maybe I could have saved a bit, probably £10-12 per month, by not having insurance. But I'm bloody glad I did.  That's less than 40 fags a month, costwise. Whats more important?

Would you have backed me up if I'd rioted the local council offices because they didn't do anything to help me? I'd hope not, because its a bloody retarded thing to do...  ...yet the expected action for these who think life owes them  >:(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 20 June 2017, 17:59:23 »

No one's mentioned it yet, but last nights BBC 1 Panorama (on iPlayer) London Tower Fire: Britain's Shame is very worth watching.

Panarama, and its ITV equiv, are NEVER worth watching.  Its poor quality journalism for the sake of sensationalism, rather than any proper documentary on a given subject. No matter what the subject is.

They are made for the EastEnders style viewers, and designed to be controversial rather than accurate.  Much like most of our media really...  ...I suspect due to the fact that the majority of the UK public are a level or 2 beyond thick gullible.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 20 June 2017, 18:01:20 »

Why TB are you assuming all those who lived in these flats are spongers?  Many of those have jobs, all be it not well paid ones.
Just by listening to them. They clearly think everybody owes them. I have been in so many homes of people with this mentality, in a former life, I can predict what they are going to say.  The storming of the council offices afterwards clearly sums it up.

I have known  grown up knowing people who live in "social housing" and 99% have jobs.  I live in a flat within what is considered "social housing", although many flats are privately leased.  I worked all my life until retirement, and now enjoy a healthy company pension reflecting my efforts. Many in my block either works, or like me are retired.  If I lost my flat because the whole block was destroyed, would you call me a "sponger" who is not entitled to help,  Remember, all of us are just one step away from losing everything and ending up on the street. ;)
Its not social housing - although anyone who has spent time in Milton Keynes (probably the first place to large scale implement the experiment of putting such housing in the more affluent areas in the hope it will lift the poorer families (obviously, the opposite happens, as even an idiot could have predicted)) - its those people who believe they take and not pay back.

LZ, if you lost your flat, I would hope your insurance would immediately find you an alternative, temporary solution within a day or 2 (sometimes these things are impossible the same day). Certainly mine were discussing that option until the fire service declared my house structurally unaffected several hours later. In the meantime, local friends had already offered temporary solutions, as had family a little further afield. Where are these people's friends and family? And don't say "in the same block", as that would imply it was very inbred, with little society integration.  But then, I've always said, scum breeds scum (granted scum is too harsh here, but that's the saying).

Maybe I could have saved a bit, probably £10-12 per month, by not having insurance. But I'm bloody glad I did.  That's less than 40 fags a month, costwise. Whats more important?

Would you have backed me up if I'd rioted the local council offices because they didn't do anything to help me? I'd hope not, because its a bloody retarded thing to do...  ...yet the expected action for these who think life owes them  >:(

Now if you insured with Direct Line they would take you to a hotel "within the hour"; Vincent Wolf will make sure of it, or he will make an offer they can't refuse! ;D ;D ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/DirectLineTV
 :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 20 June 2017, 18:04:57 »

Panarama, and its ITV equiv, are NEVER worth watching.  Its poor quality journalism for the sake of sensationalism, rather than any proper documentary on a given subject. No matter what the subject is.

They are made for the EastEnders style viewers, and designed to be controversial rather than accurate.  Much like most of our media really...  ...I suspect due to the fact that the majority of the UK public are a level or 2 beyond thick gullible.

This site is really down on the BBC! :o :o  What TV can ever be believed then?

This programme was never intended to be a "documentary"; it is purely a summary of what is known to date and what certain people "in the know" have so far stated on camera. It is only that, and is not an official inquiry report, it was never dressed up as such. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 20 June 2017, 18:05:13 »

Now if you insured with Direct Line they would take you to a hotel "within the hour"; Vincent Wolf will make sure of it, or he will make an offer they can't refuse! ;D ;D ;)

They may struggle to find a "local" hotel if, say, your entire block went up.  Guess they don't promise local though.  But you'd take anything short term.  Unless you were one of the mongs being interviewed in West London over the past week.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 20 June 2017, 18:07:29 »

They may struggle to find a "local" hotel if, say, your entire block went up.  Guess they don't promise local though.  But you'd take anything short term.  Unless you were one of the mongs being interviewed in West London over the past week.

Ah, but they promise that knowing they do not insure whole blocks of flats :D :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 20 June 2017, 20:52:18 »

This programme was never intended to be a "documentary"; it is purely a vehicle for trying to drive outrage amongst its trailer trash audience
Fixed for accuracy...
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #161 on: 20 June 2017, 20:57:53 »

It's Winston Wolf, you deaf old bat  ;D
Although I believe Vincent Price may have played a werewolf.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 20 June 2017, 21:05:33 »

Clearly not a Tarantino fan ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 21 June 2017, 09:57:53 »

TB will be pleased to know that there is now a charity record being released to raise funds for the survivors.  :y ;D
We will soon be at the point where anyone who was within a mile of the flats that night will be a millionaire.
Worse still the song being used is Bridge over troubled water. It should be  a serious breach of international law for anyone but Art Garfunkel to sing that song.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #164 on: 21 June 2017, 10:02:39 »

TB will be pleased to know that there is now a charity record being released to raise funds for the survivors.  :y ;D
We will soon be at the point where anyone who was within a mile of the flats that night will be a millionaire.
Worse still the song being used is Bridge over troubled water. It should be  a serious breach of international law for anyone but Art Garfunkel to sing that song.
Does anyone else dread waking up in the morning?  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.