Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chip in simtec 56  (Read 1047 times)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
chip in simtec 56
« on: 24 June 2017, 07:49:26 »

Hi a friend of mine has a vectra with possible chip fail, his vectra is a automatic. and wanted to know if the chip from a manual would work or would the chip from an auto box would have to be found as they do say if the ecu is manual or auto on listings, he has had the ecu read and it can be read if engine etc is cold but as soon as it it being used for 10-15 min engine cut out no lights and try to read ecu it wont connect but give it a few min it will read ecu. he has looked at the ecu and there is no damage to it but the chip has a tiny line on it on the top.  ?

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
Re: chip in simtec 56
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 08:29:27 »

what engine is it?

You would need to replace it like for like (the auto has settings the manual doesnt need to run)
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2017, 08:46:45 »

think its a 1.8 16v ive not looked as its not his main car his wife drives it,  she went to london think it was last week and was stuck in traffic, she parked up. and by the time she had come back prob 4-5 hours drove out of the carpark and it just stopped. had it towed back home. and tryed it again and started fine left it on tick over and it cut out. he check voltage and its going to the ecu but when he saw the crack in the chip, they sell the chips but don't state if they from auto or manual. so a new chip of any would still work as they don't cots a lot think it was £15 for chip or £30 for the hole unit. he dont have the code so cannot change the ecu. but was thinking the chip should be able to be replaced as it just clips in. 

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2017, 15:01:36 »

Ive just been with my m8 to scrappy and found an ecu. swapped the chips over, managed to find one from a automatic.  swapped the chips over. and went for a drive. it was a bit lumpy for about a mile and then it was fine. let the engine cool down and tried again with no problems now. checked the chip and this one is fine. so would seam to be sorted now.. will have to wait and see. only cost £10 for the ecu so bargen if its work going to give it a week of driving see if its all ok .

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 17:23:26 »

I wish I had known this when we had a zafira with horrid x18xe1 that kept cutting out

good job sorting it
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 21:26:46 »

I think its the ecu over heating as there is a cooler fan regulated from the radiator fan switch. to keep ecu cool so think will have a look at that, as it was hot in london, i don't know what car park she was at. but it must of been hot. or the chip was weak. we had a look at come others in scrappy but they had no numbers but had glass tops on the chips, like the really old types,  I would of thought though as the ecu box has a temp sensor inside though this would keep box cool ? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.