Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cycling in Britain  (Read 12357 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling in Britain
« Reply #45 on: 10 July 2017, 08:05:11 »

And here is today's latest story about deliberate attacks on cyclists. This happened at the weekend. If you like have a gander at Road.cc's "close pass of the day" feature. The motorcyclist passing at over 100mph leaving just inches is particularly scary.

http://road.cc/content/news/225744-video-teens-push-bike-path-dunwich-dynamo-riders-causing-crash
Not sure about the motorbike clip... yes he was opening it up as he passed through the nsl, but was nearer to the white line than to the cyclists... I suspect the biggest issue was the surprise factor rather than the manoeuvre itself. Would I be happy if it were me? Probably not, but have been passed by bikes travelling much faster and closer in a car.

Urban cycling makes a degree of sense, but recreational road cycling is an accident waiting to happen. Not questioning the legal entitlement,  but at some point, self preservation must surely come into play :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #46 on: 10 July 2017, 09:39:56 »

Fellas, fellas.. fear not.

When the only things legally allowed to use the roads are self driving vehicles, bicycles will be banned just like everything else. Then there'll be one less thing for you all to give yourself an early heart attack about on an internet forum ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 July 2017, 10:07:58 »

Fellas, fellas.. fear not.

When the only things legally allowed to use the roads are self driving vehicles, bicycles will be banned just like everything else. Then there'll be one less thing for you all to give yourself an early heart attack about on an internet forum ;)

That'll be when they've prised the keys to the Westfield from my rigour-morticed fingers, then.  :y

Or maybe I'll have taken up horse riding? They're self-driving. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 July 2017, 11:20:03 »

Crack on?  :(

If as described the roads are twisty, with solid white lines, I can only reiterate that someone shouldn't be overtaking, unless they want to feature on cyclist's camera compilation on YouTube entitled 'douchebag drivers part 126

I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist doing less than 10 mph in such conditions. I generally go faster than a lot of cars when I'm cycling round urban areas.

Clearly alot of drivers have hate to others on the road from their more important than you attitude. If car drivers don't like the roads and conditions on them, get off them.

There, cracked! ;)

Exactly describes the very busy main road between Fleet and Yateley. It is twisty with double white lines, so cyclists climbing in the uphill sections will mainly be doing less than 10mph and there are two blind bends that are totally unsuitable for overtaking on but in between several shallow left-right bends which have enough visibility to do so. Like all sensible driving uncommon sense required. :y :y :y

What motorists need to remember is in a collision it is ALWAYS the cyclist that loses and is injured as the motorist has a steel protection cell all around them. This is why I have very little time for arrogant motorists who have no patience with cyclists where they have been held up for 10ms in their desperate dash to get home as fast as possible to DO NOTHING. Now if cyclists behave like idiots and some do, then I don't have a problem with them inviting Darwin to win.

Pelican crossings are particularly dangerous in the Sandhurst area where about 1 in 10 don't see the red lights and don't slow down in the slightest or stop. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 July 2017, 16:36:24 »

I generally treat cyclists like horses, ie they are slow and unpredictable so it's best to give them a wide berth!  ::)  ;D

My 2 observations about cyclists are however:

1)  Round here there are lots of twisty A & B roads where the trees hang over the road casting deep shadows, and it gets my goat whenever and often I see someone clad in dark lycra. (or a Barbour jacket etc)  ::)  Wear some hi viz FFS it might save your life!!   :y

2) As slow road users it would be nice if cyclists showed some consideration for their fellow travellers, and if they are holding up a long line of traffic they should pull over and let everyone go by.  Tractors and horses generally do, why not cyclists?  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 10 July 2017, 16:55:39 »

Both occasions I was knocked off I was wearing hi viz, full lights (one was in the daytime but I still had them on) and a helmet:

1) Car overtook and the immediately turned left, no indication, cue a short flight over the top of said car in to the road.  Apparently I wasn't visible (with 2 red lights facing rear, one flashing and one flashing front light) and I should have given way.  I didn't even have time to brake.

2) Turning right at a roundabout, road position good, no other vehicles around me to obscure my visibility and had eye contact.  Wheels weren't turning (good tip for cyclists that, watch the wheels at junctions) all of a sudden car speeds forward, cue a low speed collision with me splayed on the bonnet. Apparently he didn't see me!

+about 300 near misses over the past 10 years (by near miss I mean that I had to brake heavily or swerve to avoid an accident).  Hydraulic disc brakes are now a must for me (ruddy awesome for stopping when some whoopsit decides to pull out in front of you.

I always follow the rules.  I never go through a red light, always have at least 1 light, normally 2 in case one fails, helmet, hi-viz.  I use my road position sensibly to make things safer for all of us (just trying to preserve my life and your license peeps) I let cars and trams past when it is narrow and an opportunity strikes.  I will use a safe cycle path when one is available (the unsafe ones get ignored, I cycle too fast for their design).  I follow all the police and cycling safety advice on roadcraft, cycling techniques and position yet I do not get the same back from many motorists. 

However, I did notice late last year when the West Midlands Police campaign 'Space for cyclists' started that things got a bit better.  Many more were giving lots of room when passing, but you would always get the lazy or deliberate types who either cant be bothered or want to make some sort of statement for being held up for 0.2 seconds.  I often catch up with these guys at the next light too so there was no reason to put my life at risk in the first place.

Yes some cyclists are idiots and one day Darwinism will win, but why should I pay for their transgressions?  It is very rare for a cyclist to put a motorist in harms way, but it is very easy to Kill or Seriously Injury a cyclist either through accidental or intentionally poor driving.  All I am asking is that I can ride on the roads, share it with you, you share it with me and we all get home safely. :y
« Last Edit: 10 July 2017, 17:10:23 by Guffer »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 July 2017, 17:00:40 »

All I am asking is that I can ride on the roads, share it with you, you share it with me and we all get home safely. :y

That's not too much to ask Guff!  :y

Sadly there are idiots on or in all sorts of transportation that give everyone using that particular mode of transport a bad name.  ::) 

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 10 July 2017, 17:10:57 »

Sorry, just realised quite a few typos and errors there.  Currently running a fever and shivering despite this heat  :(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10 July 2017, 17:56:07 »

Sorry, just realised quite a few typos and errors there.  Currently running a fever and shivering despite this heat  :(

No need to apologise Guff, most of them are illiterate anyway and won't notice!  ;D

And I wasn't having a go at you personally with my 2 observations BTW!  ;)  However, your response did make me wonder how many 'offs' you might have had, if you went round in black or Navy Blue lycra and no lights like a lot seem to.  ::)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 10 July 2017, 18:33:47 »

No worries, I am not sensing any personal attacks here.  Some viewpoints I do not agree with but nothing personal :y

I have some photos of how visible I am when cyclings and I have some choice videos too.  Let me break this fever and dig them out ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 10 July 2017, 18:36:46 »

No worries, I am not sensing any personal attacks here.  Some viewpoints I do not agree with but nothing personal :y

I have some photos of how visible I am when cyclings and I have some choice videos too.  Let me break this fever and dig them out ;)

I think we can take your word for it!  :P  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #56 on: 10 July 2017, 18:57:38 »

I'll how you a personal att.. no I won't, you're bigger than me ;) ;D (Get well soon!)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 10 July 2017, 19:01:38 »

Attack now! For I am weak! ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 10 July 2017, 19:14:09 »

Twisty, solid white lines. You shouldn't be overtaking anyway.

Have a look in your highway code. Double white lines do NOT mean no over taking.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 10 July 2017, 19:18:26 »

I have some photos of how visible I am when cyclings and I have some choice videos too.  ....

You're a big lad so should be visible any way ..... even without hi-viz  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.