Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Installation started.... At last!!!!  (Read 2662 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
LPG Installation started.... At last!!!!
« on: 09 August 2008, 23:50:38 »

Finally got the tank this morning after cutting Jeremy out of the loop and dealing with his supplier! I can only commend Teilo at Motogas for the effort he put into sorting the ongoing tank fiasco for me!!!  :y :y :y :y

It was all down to supplier issues and he managed to source me a 90L instead of an 80L at no extra cost! This has, however, thrown a few minor problems my way  ::) ::) ::) The tank and frame fit under the Bose shelf with little more than a fag paper of space left, which means the tank has to be on the frame (although not strapped down) when it goes into position. Luckily the frame is slightly longer than the tank so this will be possible :y :y :y

The other issue is that the frame is slightly shorter than the one used for an 80L tank, so the mounting points don't fit nicely at the chassis rails, which I couldn't be 100% sure of without drilling 2 holes in the wrong place  :o :o >:( >:( :'( :'(

Anyway, moved the frame slightly towards one side and have resolved the issue but I got fed up with the pouring rain and lying in puddles that I gave up for the day once I'd drilled the correct holes, including making 2 new mounting points on the frame. Unfortunately I couldn't have gone any further because I didn't have long enough bolts either :( :( :(

I'll be out there tomorrow to fit the tank and connect the filler line.   Unfortunately I can't crack on as much as I'd like due to time constraints this weekend!  Planning to have it all in and running within the next 2 weeks though  :y :y :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

Re: LPG Installation started.... At last!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2008, 00:02:14 »

watching with interest, looking to sort myn soon. Leaning towards diy so far.

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2008, 00:10:17 »

sorry to but in paul, any chance of the pics from anglia?. :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2008, 08:30:01 »

Yep... Just haven't had a chance to sort them yet!!! I'll try and do them today :y :y :y

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2008, 08:42:00 »

Yep... Just haven't had a chance to sort them yet!!! I'll try and do them today :y :y :y
sorry didnt mean to push you.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2008, 20:20:44 »

Right... Progress report!!!

Tank is fitted, secured to frame and car... What a pig that was to do >:( >:( >:( Never before have I wanted to be a pygmy contortionist so much!!  :D :D :D :D

Anyway... A 90L tank fits (snugly) under the rear shelf with Bose Amp fitted but I would advise anyone else who goes down the DIY route to fit an 80L tank... It's so much easier I reckon!!! Looking at Kevin's pictures it seems to be a better option! :y :y :y :y The frame mounting points are a little more of a pain with a 90L tank as they wont fall nicely in the middle of the chassis rails both sides! >:( >:( >:( Got around it by offsetting the frame by about an inch and sliding the tank along the frame to centralise it in the load space!! :y :y :y However, to get the tank into the frame you must slide the complete unit into position before mounting anything... Which make the whole process that little bit more tedious :( :( :(

Connected up the fill line and re-fitted the fuel flap central locking motor... That's about as far as I got!! TBH I only really had the afternoon to work on it because my neighbour was in bed after a night shift and SWMBO decided to have her folks over for a 3pm roast dinner ::) ::) ::) Although I must say... I think I needed the break before I started throwing things!!! :-[ :-[ :-[

Anyway... I will take some pictures of the installation when I get a chance because it will be slightly different to Kevin's, as mine is a mini facelift :y :y :y :y :y

I wont get a chance to do any more now for just over a week (next Monday) but am still planning to do the rest of the installation in 3 days. It should be perfectly feasible as the manifold is ready to drop straight in, eliminating the time consuming drilling and tapping (thanks again Kevin ::) ::) ) so I'm hoping to be running on the cheap(er) stuff by next Wednesday :y :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 10 August 2008, 20:28:06 by Lazydocker »

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2008, 20:24:34 »

nice work docker :y - keep us up to date (lots of pics) :y
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2008, 20:27:28 »

nice work docker :y - keep us up to date (lots of pics) :y

I'm a bit lazy on the picture front  ::) ::) ::) But I think SWMBO is about so I'll set her in motion with the camera :y :y :y

I'll certainly get plenty of snaps when finished and post them up :y :y :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2008, 20:37:48 »

Time for a little update....

Got out in the rain this morning and fitted most of the front end!!

Manifold swapped over and injectors all fitted. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get many pictures because SWMBO took the camera to work with her ::) ::) ::) ::) I did take a couple on my phone but they're not very good!

All I have left to do tomorrow is run the fuel line from back to front, connect everything to the vaporiser and solder all the connections which need making. Then put everything back together, fill her up and calibrate the system :y :y :y

Hopefully I'll be able to get it all finished and running on gas by the close of tomorrow :y :y

Anyway... I'll try to get some half decent pictures tomorrow as an idea of how it all fits in a mini-facelift Elite... Not as easily as Kevin's Facelift MV6 I can assure you ::) ::) ::)

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2008, 21:50:04 »

Sounds like its coming along nicely matey ;)

I must crack on with mine, only have all the front end todo, and manifold is drilled and taped ready to go ::)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2008, 21:53:19 »

Sounds like its coming along nicely matey ;)

I must crack on with mine, only have all the front end todo, and manifold is drilled and taped ready to go ::)

I wanted to allow myself 3 clear days for the front end because I don't have the luxury of a nice dry garage... Working on the road (private) outside and to top it all off my neighbour is on nights so couldn't make any noise this morning! ::) ::)

I reckon it's far easier and less daunting than I was expecting!! :y :y :y

Snips

• Nottingham / Stoke - on -Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2008, 20:06:30 »

glad to hear its all coming together for you mate! its a lovely feeling knowing that after you fill up you can still afford to buy that over priced sandwich u love from the garage

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2008, 20:21:41 »

Today's Progress

Completely finished front end and re-fitted everything I had removed :y :y

Fitted control switch to interior, the opposite side of the handbrake to the Sat Nav control wheel

Ran fuel line to rear and into car but couldn't finish because I'm missing a pipe connector to connect up to the tank  ::) ::) ::) Unfortunately I managed to damage the end of it when trying to flare it! Mind you... It was always going to be ambitious and I'd rather have a pre-made one to be sure of a good seal :y :yThat's the only thing which has prevented me getting it running this evening >:( >:( >:(

Still, a quick call to a local(ish) supplier at 4:15pm and I managed to get a connector out in tonight's post :y :y :y

Just got to connect up the pipe and fill with gas. Run the calibration and hopefully I'll be on the cheap stuff by lunch time :y :y :y

I'm just uploading some pictures which I'll post in the Gallery section :y :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2008, 20:27:14 »

Out of interest, what did you need to flare? Mine came with a connector that fitted to the polyflex hose and used an olive to conect to the tank valve - or is your tank different to  mine?

Still, you've made excellent progress. Hope she fires up OK.  :y

Kevin
« Last Edit: 19 August 2008, 20:27:39 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2008, 20:45:08 »

Out of interest, what did you need to flare? Mine came with a connector that fitted to the polyflex hose and used an olive to conect to the tank valve - or is your tank different to  mine?

Still, you've made excellent progress. Hope she fires up OK.  :y

Kevin

No olive... No nothing!! Had to flare the end of the polyflex to metal pipe connector thing and I didn't expect to have much joy TBH ::) ::)

Still... I'll get the proper connector tomorrow :y :y

Hooked up the laptop and started the set up this evening to ensure all the readings were coming through and it's looking good.

Thanks to your help I've done the whole lot in 3 days... Been hard work though :o :o
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.