Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VPN  (Read 5675 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: VPN
« Reply #15 on: 13 December 2019, 16:34:10 »

Yes. But how high is that chance? My anti-virus programme, AVG free, keeps telling me that people can see my IP address. ???
Oh dear :(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 December 2019, 16:37:07 »

So it doesn’t matter if my IP address can be seen, and poses no security risk?
Ensure all software on the machine is updated (eg, all MS stuff is updated by Windows Update), and that your day to day logon account to your Windows machine is a Limited User (not Admin), and that's a far better set of options than VPN to browse the web.

VPNs offer nothing to web browsing security (actually the reverse), and you are not tracked via your IP.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 December 2019, 16:41:20 »

Just looked up your Broadband provider. They are one of the niche ones. Check you package to see if you have a static IP or dynamic.

The RIPE database implies its part of your ISP's dynamic range, but that isn't always accurate.

Though even if static, I still wouldn't bother with a VPN to browse the web.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 December 2019, 20:03:05 »

Gobbledegook again, and how do you know my BB provider? :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 December 2019, 20:53:20 »

Gobbledegook again, and how do you know my BB provider? :o
Because I own the website that you have visited.

As for gobbledegook, there is nothing you have said that would make me think you would benefit from a VPN.

I'd probably remove AVG, and if you want to use a free AV solution, use the standard, built in, Windows 10 one called Defender. AVG is a resource hog, and a chequered past of being a bit naughty.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 December 2019, 22:02:14 »

That is on as well. If you can see my BB can you not also see my IP address? ???

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 December 2019, 00:06:18 »

That is on as well. If you can see my BB can you not also see my IP address? ???
I take it you are trying to do torrenting and wish to hide your IP...?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 December 2019, 09:12:53 »

Tor renting? Renting a hill? No idea what that means, sorry.  ???
Having looked it up, I didn’t even understand the explanation! :-[
My OP was because a friend suggested that using a VPN made me less visible in the internet. From what Jaime says that is not true.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2019, 09:19:02 by Shackeng »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 December 2019, 11:04:05 »

I, as one of the co owners here, can see your IP, from which I can deduce your ISP.

I'm not sure why you are so concerned about your IP?  Like your email address*, its publically available somewhere.  I think you are worrying over nothing, unless you are doing something illegal (in which case a mainstream commercial VPN is not for you anyway).

All a VPN, used in the way you intend, can do is make your traffic appear to come from other addresses. This adds latency, reduces speed, gets you blocked more often and reduces security.

* here is a useful site for seeing if your email/password combos that you might use on multiple sites is on freely available lists of victims - https://haveibeenpwned.com/
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 December 2019, 19:37:57 »

I, as one of the co owners here, can see your IP, from which I can deduce your ISP.

I'm not sure why you are so concerned about your IP? Like your email address*, its publically available somewhere.  I think you are worrying over nothing, unless you are doing something illegal (in which case a mainstream commercial VPN is not for you anyway).

All a VPN, used in the way you intend, can do is make your traffic appear to come from other addresses. This adds latency, reduces speed, gets you blocked more often and reduces security.

* here is a useful site for seeing if your email/password combos that you might use on multiple sites is on freely available lists of victims - https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Only because I'm paranoid, especially when I read tech forum comments like this:"With the appropriate knowledge you can determine someone's ISP based on the IP address. Each ISP has a different range in terms of an ISP database. This is where user information is kept,and a moderately skilled IT operative can, once in the database, pair up the IP address with a name and mailing address. This does take basic IT skills, but it's not like computer magic."
I accept the broad implications of your comments, but clearly some people are still comcerned, and the more of my personal information I can keep private, the better, simply as a matter of personal preference. Each to his own. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 December 2019, 19:51:07 »

If you're on the electoral roll, then your address is already publicly available. A bit late to be paranoid ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 15 December 2019, 22:50:48 »

People worry about their bank account number and sort code falling into the wrong hands, but they're both written on any cheque you write.

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 16 December 2019, 07:40:49 »

People worry about their bank account number and sort code falling into the wrong hands, but they're both written on any cheque you write.

So .. the mid 90s, then?  :P

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 16 December 2019, 11:27:57 »

Read the news, Aaron, you'll find cheques still play a big part in a lot of people's lives. Those who are over 40 anyhow.

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 16 December 2019, 12:13:50 »

Read the news, Aaron, you'll find cheques still play a big part in a lot of people's lives. Those who are over 40 anyhow.

So, me, then.. better find that chequebook I haven't seen in a couple of years! ;D (Although I do actually think I know where it is, for a change..)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.