Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PIR faulty  (Read 1649 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
PIR faulty
« on: 23 December 2019, 09:18:14 »

There is always something.

We have a 500watt outside light with PIR that started playing up. Wouldn't switch on even if you waved your arms around but when it did come on , it stayed on all night every night.

So off to our equivalent of B&Q. 24 euros bought their most powerful LED PIR. Same manufacturer ( the well known brand Yonkers!).

Replaced it and was impressed with the improved cable termination. The old unit PIRcover disintegrated as it was gently put on the work bench. Power back on and wait for dark .  You guessed on it comes and stays on all night.  Next evening Up the ladder and adjust the settings. Ominous fizzing sound. No different came on at dusk and tripped the consumer unit.

So disconnect  and next day attach to a more convenient location and a cable with a plug. No tripping of consumer unit but no matter what you do with the three controls, it is on and stays on the minute you connect to power.

Next step is to take it back once Xmas has died down.  The obvious thing to do would be to get my money back and try a different marque from elsewhere but I will buy another identical one.

The joys of simple DIY.......
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: PIR faulty
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2019, 10:01:13 »

According to Bro the Sparky, the cheapest of the outdoors combined PIR/light are generally unlikely to last the warranty period, and hence he refuses to fit them.

Apparently, separate PIRs driving a separate lamp are generally better quality, but unclear why.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2019, 10:19:17 »

Apparently, separate PIRs driving a separate lamp are generally better quality, but unclear why.

Usually designed for industrial installation I think, so probably not made down to a price point that the average punter in B&Q will like (like £9.99) .. I'm sure they still come out of the same Chinese labour camp factory, just have better QA ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2019, 17:50:27 »

I will have a look at what the local electrical shop have when Xmas has died down.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2019, 18:05:34 »

I've never got one of those PIR controlled security lights to behave correctly. I've got two of exactly the same make, with the rotary switches in exactly the same position. One comes on as soon as it goes dull and stays on ages, the other won't come on till it's pitch black and stays on about a minute.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2019, 19:08:06 »

My neighbours have a row of the bloody things down the side of their house and they turn on and off randomly all night.  ::)

I never know if it's the badgers or the burglars!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2019, 19:32:07 »

Ours is an LED type but has PIR unit fitted below so it comes on when approach house and will stay on for a pre set period then go off.

Bought from Screwfix...aka B&Skew and has worked perfectly.

Think the trick is the first time you power it up to switch the power off and then back on within a few seconds which seems to set it .Has always worked for me...worth a try but am sure it mentioned that in the instructions tbh

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2019, 20:05:05 »

Just make the burglars use their own torches or candles while they burgle you  ;)
the world has gone soft in the head ,providing expensive lighting for the scum  ::)

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2019, 20:22:42 »

our outside light has packed up as well. Went to get into the garage by the rear door to get tools out to fit a new one and the handle snapped off in my hand. back to screwfix for a door handle now

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2019, 20:37:50 »

I've just ordered another one of the crap £29.99 ones I already have from screwfix. That's three with a mind of their own now, but at least one of them should be on at any given time.  ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 December 2019, 13:27:17 »

My 50W 400x300mm LED slab of a floodlight with PIR from China has been working fine for over 12 months now & does make the front garden look like it's in sunlight. :y :y :y The 30W LED non-PIR from China where I bought 5 cheaply off Ebay for around the side & the back of the house are also giving me great service along with their waterproof IP44 junction boxes but they are under the house eves & don't get wet but are in an outside environment. :y :y :y

According to CREE what will kill these multi-LED arrays is overheating so make sure they have a decent painted cast aluminium heatsink forming the back of the light to get rid of the heat.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 December 2019, 18:49:32 »

The lower grade of LEDs also degrade quicker - they look bright if you stare at them, but they start to lack illumination (much like tired Xenon car bulbs).

That's over and above the driver issues, which is the bit that needs the heatsinks.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 December 2019, 18:08:06 »

Took it back and the guy said we never have any problems with these.

In fairness they offered a refund or replacement. Took like for like and fitted it.

It works as it should. Marvellous :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.