Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Phone scams  (Read 2412 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Phone scams
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2020, 08:50:38 »

pretty archaic things landlines but money spinners for the internet providers.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2020, 09:54:56 »

Signing up to TPS ensures you get lots and lots of these :)
Really? All my numbers are on TPS, it didn't take long for them to stop calling me. Although I will say, you actually have to do something to stop the calls.

When you get a dodgy call, speak to the person, get their name, company name, address, phone number and record the time and date. I don't mention TPS until after I have the information. Once you have that information you can generate a complaint and if they are UK based, they can get a fine or shutdown.

I no longer get spam calls.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 March 2020, 10:04:28 »

just had one.            signed up for Amazon, dial 1 etc
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 March 2020, 19:00:24 »

Signing up to TPS ensures you get lots and lots of these :)
Really? All my numbers are on TPS, it didn't take long for them to stop calling me. Although I will say, you actually have to do something to stop the calls.

When you get a dodgy call, speak to the person, get their name, company name, address, phone number and record the time and date. I don't mention TPS until after I have the information. Once you have that information you can generate a complaint and if they are UK based, they can get a fine or shutdown.

I no longer get spam calls.
What actually happens is you get a massive increase in calls that are explicitly not covered by TPS, which means all automated calls, and calls where they can make out its not a marketing cold call (easy to do).

Its to be expected, as TPS is run by the telemarketers, so by providing them with your number, you are saying that you are a person who doesn't let the answerphone take the call, and that you are potentially suggestable to becoming a profitable target.

TPS is there for the industry, not for the public. Much like GasSafe and the like ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 March 2020, 19:05:56 »

I let the house phone ring to the answer machine then they either leave a message or not,if a message is left then I can decide to reply or not.Biggest part of the time no message is left.On my mobile I only answer that if it's a number known in it's memory and everyone I know generally uses text messaging.

I used to do that .. what I got was messages from various medical establishments for people that don't live here. Oh and occasionally 'Ethel' (no idea of the name, sounded about 1000 years old) asking if 'Janice' would be picking her up today.

The phone is no longer even plugged in.. that solved that nicely.
I found my phone bill was mostly made up of calling everyone back, and speaking to their answerphones, as they also had the same idea ;D

My physical landlines go into Asterisk, where they go around a really annoying  IVR, with only a single, not mentioned path to actually ring my phones (although a few numbers are in a bypass group).

My VoIP lines come into the same Asterisk, by straight through to the phones, and in 15yrs of having the same VoIP numbers, I have never, ever had a marketing call on any of them.  My physical lines are both TPS registered, and get around 7 a day each, looking at the phone logs.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.