Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Detailing for beginners  (Read 7983 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Detailing for beginners
« Reply #30 on: 07 May 2020, 20:24:16 »

Is Menzerna 400 a similar product to Faracle G3 ? I have been using G3 but find it tends to leave a residue which seems almost greasy which I find hard to get rid of.
Ive used it today to get rid of biggish scratches which it did reasonably well, but looking at the finish with the sunlight on it there are lots of swirls which I don't know how to get rid of now.
Don't want to keep trying over and over in case I burn through the lacquer. Using a cheapish Silverline polisher with adjustable speed set to slowest with a pink foam pad.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 May 2020, 20:26:21 »

Had an email to say that most of the stuff I ordered is on its way ... but they are out of that Angelwax stuff, and the sealant I ordered .. so I've ordered them from another source, delivery will be late next week .... so

Question if I may ....... does the angelwax stuff and then the sealant have to be done straight after the polish .. or can it be a few days later ??? Just need to know if I can do the wash/clay/polish and then wait for the other bits or should i wait and do it all in one day ????

Very new to this as you can tell ....   :)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 May 2020, 21:56:42 »

Question if I may ....... does the angelwax stuff and then the sealant have to be done straight after the polish .. or can it be a few days later ??? Just need to know if I can do the wash/clay/polish and then wait for the other bits or should i wait and do it all in one day ????

My thoughts are to do in one day if possible as the surface will get dust and minor abrasives sitting on it even after a day, especially if outside, so you would have to clean these off before applying any finishing coatings or you will risk very minor markings to the previously prepared surface.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 May 2020, 10:34:12 »

My thoughts are to do in one day if possible as the surface will get dust and minor abrasives sitting on it even after a day, especially if outside, so you would have to clean these off before applying any finishing coatings or you will risk very minor markings to the previously prepared surface.

That makes sense ... so I'll wait until everything is here ..... thanks for the input !

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 May 2020, 14:30:07 »

Is Menzerna 400 a similar product to Faracle G3 ? I have been using G3 but find it tends to leave a residue which seems almost greasy which I find hard to get rid of.
Ive used it today to get rid of biggish scratches which it did reasonably well, but looking at the finish with the sunlight on it there are lots of swirls which I don't know how to get rid of now.
Don't want to keep trying over and over in case I burn through the lacquer. Using a cheapish Silverline polisher with adjustable speed set to slowest with a pink foam pad.

if it's leaving a residue then you are applying too much, or not working it enough to break it down. That would also explain some of the swirls. Are you using a damp mop head, and is it in good condition and clean? They don't last long

G3 is quite coarse, so you might need to swap to G10 before applying your final polish. You do need to wash off any remaining product before moving to the next one, but that's true of any polishing procedure.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 May 2020, 15:25:58 »

I think I was using a little too much. Using plenty of water and a new mop head. Did a bit more today with less G3 and more water and it looks better. Might buy some G10 or the Manzema Gastro uses.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 May 2020, 16:21:05 »

Inspired, and because Mrs Builder's MOT is due in a few weeks (not counting the 6 month extension ,or i could leave it till late November ;D )
 I've just spruced up her Astra estate a bit ,washed it with wash n wax  :-X
 then spent about 2 hours on the headlamps ....
800 , 1500 , 2000 , T-cut on the electric mop ,then a final hand polish
the headlights look much better ,the car is "cleaner"  ;D

now my Omega looks dirty and has dull headlamps  :(
so more fresh air and "daily exercise" required  :-X
at least the local lepers are staying well away from my work area  :P

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 May 2020, 17:00:11 »

G3, should be used with a damp cloth, or spray bottle on a lite mist.
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 May 2020, 19:33:23 »

Well Ive cracked on with the rubbing down of scratches with 1200 / 1500/ 2000/ 2500 grit wet & dry. Then G3 again ,but using less of it with more water. Then used Farecla scratch remover for the finer swirls etc. I had it in the shed and it seems like a much finer version of G3 so thought I would give it a go, and its worked quite well.
I probably need to go back to the start of this thread now and proceed from there.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16 May 2020, 18:32:19 »

Are you going to help us on interiors at some stage please? The Volvo still smells like a new car but I am nervous based on past experience of treating the leather with Autoglym stuff. Previous cars seem to lose that new smell when you treat the leather an d you end up with no smell or a different neutral smell.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 May 2020, 19:55:33 »

Are you going to help us on interiors at some stage please? The Volvo still smells like a new car but I am nervous based on past experience of treating the leather with Autoglym stuff. Previous cars seem to lose that new smell when you treat the leather an d you end up with no smell or a different neutral smell.

Its going to be weeks before I'm doing any more detailing, having just stsrted demolishing everything in the garden...

Very briefly - Chemical Guys interior shampoo is great for carpets and cloth, dilutes down into a spray bottle. Use a stiff brush, let it dry. Then vacuum.

For leather, I use Angelwax foaming leather cleaner, and then their "Hide-rate" leather feed. Its doesn't seem to kill the smell.

For everything hard inside I use Kleen Freaks interior detail spray, it leaves a nice matt-satin finish rather than the shiny finish beloved of cheapy car washes. Bottle lasts ages and it smells great too.

I hate hanging air fresheners, so I use Chemical Guys spray bottles, usually once a week. :y

None of these are cheap but they all last ages if used as directed.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16 May 2020, 20:33:40 »

Wow - thanks very much
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16 May 2020, 22:32:14 »

I do my seats the old fashioned[?] way and use saddle soap and hide food.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16 May 2020, 23:07:35 »

I now have all the stuff listed/recommended ....   so all I need is an "overcast" day ...and a bit of "willingness" .... still unsure if I should practice on SWTSMBO shopping trolley (c l i o   as the filter does weird things) .. or go straight at the Audi ....  (just under £200 to clean /polish a car !! I must be mad !!)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 May 2020, 13:24:18 »

I didn't spend money as I already had some stuff in the shed, but spend a lot of hours over four days and was knackered at the end of it.
Not great pics, but hopefully give an idea. Main thing is I managed to get rid of all the big scratches on various panels on the car.

That is a reflection on the n/s/r corner by the way, although it looks like something running down the paintwork.

« Last Edit: 17 May 2020, 13:29:44 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.