Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How long would an Omega last?  (Read 2735 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: How long would an Omega last?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2020, 11:35:22 »

Well, according to my Ex Misses, when she borrowed an Ex Plod Red DPG 3.0 MV6 off me, about 1 and a half Junctions of the M25 at 70 mph with no Aux Belt, which I suppose equates to around 4 mins before it died of death.

Later that day when I went to see the Car the only real words of sympathy I received from Her was, "well, is there any way I can recover the Petrol from it because I put 80 quids worth in", but on reflection I can now understand a Women's logic and she was correct to ask, as that was the only thing left in the Car that was any real value.

As for the No Water and No Oil, I can confirm that She does perform these tests on her Cars on a regular basis and from experience the Nissan,s and Toyota's will run the longest, anything with a Ford or Vauxhall Badge on it doesn't stand a chance.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2020, 11:39:09 by zirk »

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2020, 14:02:16 »

When my son was at university we bought him a Ford Fiesta to run back & forth in , it was in lovely condition full service history & only one previous owner. I spent a while showing him how do do all the checks necessary a complete waste of time , anyhow one weekend I lifted the bonnet just to check everything , the oil did not even appear on the dipstick I believe it only had about half a pint in it calculated after topping it up, how he got home in it I haven't a clue. It never gave any troubles at all, I sold via eBay to a chap in Suffolk a year or so later.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2020, 14:15:54 »

My wife's first car was a fiesta, it made a funny noise. When she finally got round to having a mechanic look at it, the rocker shaft had snapped in half. Didn't stop it going at all.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2020, 14:18:44 »

My wife's first car was a fiesta, it made a funny noise. When she finally got round to having a mechanic look at it, the rocker shaft had snapped in half. Didn't stop it going at all.
Big advantage of push rod engines :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2020, 16:51:37 »

I had the cambelt on a 1974 1.6 XL Capri let go. It didn't take the engine with it.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2020, 17:30:30 »

When my son was at university we bought him a Ford Fiesta to run back & forth in , it was in lovely condition full service history & only one previous owner. I spent a while showing him how do do all the checks necessary a complete waste of time , anyhow one weekend I lifted the bonnet just to check everything , the oil did not even appear on the dipstick I believe it only had about half a pint in it calculated after topping it up, how he got home in it I haven't a clue. It never gave any troubles at all, I sold via eBay to a chap in Suffolk a year or so later.
Tried the same with both my granddaughters to no avail.  ::) They still think that the MOT is akin to a service. :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2020, 18:24:31 »

I had the cambelt on a 1974 1.6 XL Capri let go. It didn't take the engine with it.

Really,  A 1600 X-flow..   Or do you mean the fan belt as was.
Hoof'land storeman.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2020, 20:40:29 »

Would've thought a '74 1.6 Capri would've had the Pinto motor in it? Can't recall whether the Pinto was an interference engine or not but I have known Cortina 1.6s survive cam belt breakages.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2020, 21:00:18 »

My Mk3 Granny had the 2L Pinto lump. Must admit i never really tried to run it without essential fluids. ;)  I seem to remember i was informed when i got it that a cambelt break wasn,t always terminal  :-\. I did have it done never the less.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 June 2020, 22:20:29 »

I did the in-laws Ye olde Sierra after a snapped belt last year ,
nothing serious......just bent valves,rocker arms,lifters,head skim etc etc  ;D
about £150 in parts

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2020, 22:33:41 »

Tried the same with both my granddaughters to no avail.  ::) They still think that the MOT is akin to a service. :)

Ha ha yes MOT & fuel that's FSH to a youngster..😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2020, 23:36:12 »

My dad had a cam belt go on a Sierra 1.6, Y reg.  AA fitted a new one on the hard shoulder.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2020, 11:13:11 »

Would've thought a '74 1.6 Capri would've had the Pinto motor in it? Can't recall whether the Pinto was an interference engine or not but I have known Cortina 1.6s survive cam belt breakages.

74 car ought to be a pinto.

2.0l pintos are non-inteference engines; break a cambelt at 6500 rpm and you'll need a new belt.
1.6l pintos are maybes; lowish rpm is often OK, high is unlikely.

Not that belt failure is particularly common.

I like pintos and think they suit small Fords perfectly; crossflows are disappointing, and their only real advantage is a lower weight.

You can't fit a 1.6 head on a 2.0l engine as the valves are different lengths. I'm sure you can work out how I discovered that....

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2020, 11:16:40 »

My dad had a cam belt go on a Sierra 1.6, Y reg.  AA fitted a new one on the hard shoulder.

I waited for the AA to arrive with tools so I could refit the timing belt on one of my Capris. The broken fan belt made it jump several teeth. That was back when I could do a pinto belt in 20minutes at the side of the road.
I refitted the belt cover after that episode ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.