Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New car  (Read 2017 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
New car
« on: 31 August 2008, 12:21:56 »

Hi all,

I have been a bit quiet recently as I have been busy testing and researching getting a new car.  As some of you are aware the CO didn't like my non-officer like motor.  On top of which the missus wont let me go on another tour without a new car as she doesnt trust the miggy not to develop a problem while I am away not to mention I dont trust the german spanner heads around here.

So I was very interested in the new Audi TT coupe but I am concerned about space inside should we ever have the chance to start a family or when we receive guests (the 2 'seats' in the back are a waste of space and would be better used enlarging the boot!)

I then came across a Jag XF with 3k on the clock.  Its a 2.7 td Premium Luxury packed with extras going for only £24.5k  (tax free plus a massive discount of around £7k)

I test drove it yesterday and its a dream to drive (and yes its proper wheel drive)  I havent tested the Audi yet due to various work problems but I am guessing it is a 'driving' car with a low center of gravity and plenty of grip.  I have had a play inside and I must admit I didnt like the interface, which isnt touch screen (unlike the jag's)

The only downside to the Jag is the insurance for which the only quote I have had so far is £1100 (British Forces Germany insurance - obligatory thus they rip us off in a criminal way)  whereas the TT is only £600  (about the same as the Omega)

This does mean I will have no choice but to get rid of the omega  :'(  which pains me because I love it, but I cant justify spending the insurance on the 2 cars.  

I have to put the deposit down tomorrow if I want the jag.

What do you think?  Mistake?

JonArgraig

• Omega Knight
  • Isle of Angelsey
  • The Camera Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: New car
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2008, 12:23:56 »

Been looking a few S Types my self,

Sounds like the jag's in your blood already TBH...

kris9128

« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2008, 12:29:16 »

jag jag jag jag jag jag jag jag jag jag jag

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2008, 12:34:21 »

I have never been very impressed with the TT although I haven't driven the recent facelifted ones. It's a capable car but utterly devoid of any driver feedback IME, which means that although it'll stick like the proverbial to a blanket you don't venture anywhere near its' limits because you know it'll spit you backwards into the bushes with no warning when it lets go.

What I'm saing is: don't lose out on the jag because you're holding out for a test drive in the TT, as you may well be disappointed.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

HolyCount

« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2008, 12:35:09 »

I think you have already bought the jag -- just a formality ::)

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2008, 14:24:11 »

Hi all,

I have been a bit quiet recently as I have been busy testing and researching getting a new car.  As some of you are aware the CO didn't like my non-officer like motor.  On top of which the missus wont let me go on another tour without a new car as she doesnt trust the miggy not to develop a problem while I am away not to mention I dont trust the german spanner heads around here.

So I was very interested in the new Audi TT coupe but I am concerned about space inside should we ever have the chance to start a family or when we receive guests (the 2 'seats' in the back are a waste of space and would be better used enlarging the boot!)

I then came across a Jag XF with 3k on the clock.  Its a 2.7 td Premium Luxury packed with extras going for only £24.5k  (tax free plus a massive discount of around £7k)

I test drove it yesterday and its a dream to drive (and yes its proper wheel drive)  I havent tested the Audi yet due to various work problems but I am guessing it is a 'driving' car with a low center of gravity and plenty of grip.  I have had a play inside and I must admit I didnt like the interface, which isnt touch screen (unlike the jag's)

The only downside to the Jag is the insurance for which the only quote I have had so far is £1100 (British Forces Germany insurance - obligatory thus they rip us off in a criminal way)  whereas the TT is only £600  (about the same as the Omega)

This does mean I will have no choice but to get rid of the omega  :'(  which pains me because I love it, but I cant justify spending the insurance on the 2 cars.  

I might be posted to Germany in Febuary is £600 full comp with the local company or is that with Forces Financial
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2008, 14:36:25 »

jag jag jag jag jag jag jag jag jag jag jag

:y :y :y :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2008, 14:39:51 »

I wouldn't allow a CO to tell me what car to drive !! :)

I remember a little incident back in the late 80's, just after I got my Warrant ... I wasn't the Sqn WO but was the only WO around .....

One of my Sgt's was mad keen on cars and was rebuilding a 1930 something Rolls Royce ... job was going well but slowly when he turned up for work in it 3 days on the trot .. OK it had no back seats or passenger seat yet, but was roadworthy and legal .. so he parks this beauty in the sqn car park, removes the "Winged Lady" and commences work .....  Sqn Bosses (and we later found out the Station Commander) are most put out ... so I'm sent to investigate ....

Now Colin usually came to work in a very clapped minivan ... it had finaly died ... major tin-worm and a knackered gearbox ......  as the said seats were away for refurbishing (Connelly hide) he was totally skint and that was the reason - no money for another motor ... simple really IMHO ....

I report this up the chain ... within an hour Colin is given £300 from the CO's fund to buy a banger for work, and told not to use the RR !!

Jealousy or what !!! A Sgt driving a better car than them  .. ?? not allowed you know ... - what a load of bullsh1t

Next thing they'll be telling you to get a Labrador, Barbour and Green Wellies

(you might notice .. after 38 years - 20 as a WO - I hate this sort of bullsh!t !!  :)  )
« Last Edit: 31 August 2008, 14:41:49 by entwood »

amigov6

« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2008, 15:34:50 »

Think i've seen the Jag XF whilst out & about in the truck. Is it a big coupe shaped jobbie? I know nothing about them but they look smart enough. When you consider the price of a new Rangey etc., seems reasonable enough. :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2008, 15:49:48 »

Just passed a Jag XF on the road and it looks nice :y :y :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2008, 17:47:36 »

Hi all,

I might be posted to Germany in Febuary is £600 full comp with the local company or is that with Forces Financial

Ey up mate, long time no see.  Where in Germany are you coming to?

the £600 quid is fully comp but not with naafi/forces financial they are a rip off!  I know a better place.  They are not open on a weekend so I couldent get my quote fo rthe jag, I hope it is much better than 1100 quid!

When you get hewre give me a shout and we'll have a beer  :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2008, 17:50:54 »

I wouldn't allow a CO to tell me what car to drive !! :)

I remember a little incident back in the late 80's, just after I got my Warrant ... I wasn't the Sqn WO but was the only WO around .....

One of my Sgt's was mad keen on cars and was rebuilding a 1930 something Rolls Royce ... job was going well but slowly when he turned up for work in it 3 days on the trot .. OK it had no back seats or passenger seat yet, but was roadworthy and legal .. so he parks this beauty in the sqn car park, removes the "Winged Lady" and commences work .....  Sqn Bosses (and we later found out the Station Commander) are most put out ... so I'm sent to investigate ....

Now Colin usually came to work in a very clapped minivan ... it had finaly died ... major tin-worm and a knackered gearbox ......  as the said seats were away for refurbishing (Connelly hide) he was totally skint and that was the reason - no money for another motor ... simple really IMHO ....

I report this up the chain ... within an hour Colin is given £300 from the CO's fund to buy a banger for work, and told not to use the RR !!

Jealousy or what !!! A Sgt driving a better car than them  .. ?? not allowed you know ... - what a load of bullsh1t

(you might notice .. after 38 years - 20 as a WO - I hate this sort of bullsh!t !!  :)  )

Yes I think the boss will be shocked if I turn up in the XF but then I wont out do him as he had a couple if 911's one of which is the first series they ever did.  Proper vintage and smartly restored too.  The other one is an N reg but in better condition than many new cars.  Obviously on a CO's salary.......

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2008, 17:54:45 »

I

... within an hour Colin is given £300 from the CO's fund to buy a banger for work, and told not to use the RR !!

Cant do that nowadays, a lot of our SNCOs have some really smart motors and wont tell any soldier they cant get a car they can afford....

resisted so far but pressure is on  :y

Me too, hence why I am not your typical rupert  ;D ;D ;D

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2008, 19:19:30 »

Hi all,

the £600 quid is fully comp but not with naafi/forces financial they are a rip off!  I know a better place.  They are not open on a weekend so I couldent get my quote fo rthe jag, I hope it is much better than 1100 quid!

I might be going to Herford, 1 Div HQ :'(, I'II find out in the next few weeks, I've not worn uniform for about 5 years hope it still fit's :-[
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2008, 19:35:35 »

Hi all,

I might be going to Herford, 1 Div HQ :'(, I'II find out in the next few weeks, I've not worn uniform for about 5 years hope it still fit's :-[

haha pmsl!!  I'm about 90mins down the road in Hohne.  It looks like I'll be passing my omega onto the neighbour so I'll be doing all her servicing for beer tokens if you fancy another meet   :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.