Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Used car market...EV's  (Read 3630 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Used car market...EV's
« on: 10 August 2021, 11:26:43 »

An article on bbc news this morning:

Second-hand car sales soar amid shortage of new models https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58150025

Nothing really new in the article, except this paragraph which jumped out at me:

"Despite the surging demand, sales of used battery electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles made up just 1.3% of second-hand car sales in the second quarter of 2021".

I don't think that people are going to be very keen to buy a second hand EV until either the longevity of the battery pack is proved, or they are reconditioned/replaced after, say, 6/7/8 years. Just my view, of course.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Used car market...EV's
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2021, 11:46:04 »

It could, of course, be a question of availability, but would you buy a used EV over five years old?
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2021, 11:50:48 »

That's probably a fair percentage of the used market given that last year new pure (as opposed to hybrid) ev sales had grown to 6%.

Used hybrids aren't new, the basic Pious concept is 20 years old, and the Leaf is 8/9 years old and whilst a reasonable seller is but a very small drop in the ocean of similarly aged cars.

The single sticking point with Tesla, as an example, is that there's zero support outside the dealer network for anyone else to work on them... They heavily restrict the supply of anything to diy and independent garages alike and then they will only replace modules rather than fix components so a failed cooling fitting means £10k for a new battery rather than £20 for a fitting.

Mainstream manufacturers are better in this regard, but when you're spending towards £100k on a posh milkfloat, that's alot of money for a throwaway appliance.

Once that becomes apparent, the residuals should tank.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2021, 12:00:54 »

It could, of course, be a question of availability, but would you buy a used EV over five years old?
Then your looking at Tesla, Gwizz or a Leaf... And it's a 'No'  for all three, albeit for different reasons...

Tesla, see my last post, and there's plenty more interesting things for the money.

Gwizz. I wouldn't buy one for my worst enemy, even if it was their birthday.

Leaf. Only as a local car, which means something else for most of the time, and if you need to run a second car to negate the short comings, then why bother? On this point, if Albs can charge it at work, then that's at least halved his 'fuel' costs.

But ultimately noone is going to warranty £10-30k of battery on a 5+ year old EV, which makes them disposable.

A hybrid of any flavour is always going to be a better used buy because it doesn't rely on the battery for power.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2021, 12:42:00 »

Which means, by extension, that EV's are not really kind to the environment at all. If there useful life is so short, imagine the waste they will generate.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2021, 12:48:16 »

Which means, by extension, that EV's are not really kind to the environment at all. If there useful life is so short, imagine the waste they will generate.
I suspect most will be recycled to make more... Which is its own waste of energy given the production costs...

Of course, they won't mention that on the news... Much like they don't mention the gas consupmtion of large solar facilities  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2021, 13:49:07 »

An article on bbc news this morning:

Second-hand car sales soar amid shortage of new models https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58150025

Nothing really new in the article, except this paragraph which jumped out at me:

"Despite the surging demand, sales of used battery electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles made up just 1.3% of second-hand car sales in the second quarter of 2021".

I don't think that people are going to be very keen to buy a second hand EV until either the longevity of the battery pack is proved, or they are reconditioned/replaced after, say, 6/7/8 years. Just my view, of course.

Unless the cost of a replacement battery drops significantly older 'leccy cars' may end up being cubed by 6,7 or 8 years. 

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2021, 13:57:50 »

Always guessed that the whole thing would be a total clusteropps the people with the " brains " who think up these ideas keep pushing forward thinking they can fool the general public, remember reading an article years ago about global warming the simple answer is nothing lasts forever & mankind will not alter it.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2021, 14:27:22 »

Just as an aside to the present situation with regards to the second hand market; We paid £10,100 for wifey's astra four years ago, we thought it was very cheap at the time. She's put 30,000 miles on it and, after checking the car sites yesterday, dealers are asking nearly £9K for one today. Madness.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2021, 14:31:06 »

According to auto trader, £8,200 private sale, £7,350 trade in, so the markup for the dealer is almost £1,700, or nearly 20%!
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2021, 14:40:22 »

According to auto trader, £8,200 private sale, £7,350 trade in, so the markup for the dealer is almost £1,700, or nearly 20%!

They have to pay VAT and give a warrantee and pay staff. I'm surprised it's only 20% markup.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2021, 14:50:26 »

They have to pay VAT and give a warrantee and pay staff. I'm surprised it's only 20% markup.
Hmmm......I suppose when you look at the overheads......it makes me look like a moany old bastid  ;D
I'm not, but you knew that already.  ::)
Diesel till I die

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2021, 17:48:10 »

Hmmm......I suppose when you look at the overheads......it makes me look like a moany old bastid  ;D

Less of the moany ;)
I like red cars

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2021, 17:57:19 »

Less of the moany ;)
You can talk, Methuselah  ;D
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2021, 21:58:49 »

Think most of this EV shit a just a ruse to get a lot of older cars and drivers, (not necessarily old) off the road. As with most government policies these days, it's the lower paid who bear the brunt of this because they are the ones who can't afford to buy a new car, EV or otherwise. Motoring will again be the hobby of the rich. By the way, i am not a rabid leftie. :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.