Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Japan
« on: 15 August 2021, 09:00:41 »

Japan tells 1.5 million to evacuate their homes.

What a mammoth task to provide food and shelter. What do you take with you knowing that when you go home it might all be gone.? 37 inches of rain and no sign of it letting up. I experienced only 4 inches of rain in 20 minutes a few years ago. Most unpleasant.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Japan
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2021, 09:14:10 »

Good job it's not the UK they'd have to have about 15 Cobra meetings before they could agree on what to do. 😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2021, 12:05:11 »

Japan tells 1.5 million to evacuate their homes.

What a mammoth task to provide food and shelter. What do you take with you knowing that when you go home it might all be gone.? 37 inches of rain and no sign of it letting up. I experienced only 4 inches of rain in 20 minutes a few years ago. Most unpleasant.
You're quite a glass half empty person aren't you...  :-\

Japan, being on the Pacific Ring of Fire, is well practised in dealing with mass disruption. Sure the initial logistics will be a bit temperamental, but they have well established plans in place.

Their largest issue is one of population density, so events can affect alot of people at once in a relatively small area. But that's how they choose to live.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2021, 12:10:31 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2021, 12:44:11 »

40+ yeqars ago I was in Malta when it started to rain heavily we were outside a bakery on a steep hill at the time and water was going down the hill at leat 4" deep.

We started to head back to our villa (Rabat) through one the bays (St Pauls maybe) and the water was up to our windows on our hire car so maybe thats 32/36 inches deep plus the rise from sea level to road level then to the windows.

All this happened in about 2 hours. Sadly I heard 7 people were washed to sea and lost thier lives, Houses were swept away/destroyed and cars were washed to sea. :-\
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2021, 13:34:00 »

40+ yeqars ago I was in Malta when it started to rain heavily we were outside a bakery on a steep hill at the time and water was going down the hill at leat 4" deep.

We started to head back to our villa (Rabat) through one the bays (St Pauls maybe) and the water was up to our windows on our hire car so maybe thats 32/36 inches deep plus the rise from sea level to road level then to the windows.

All this happened in about 2 hours. Sadly I heard 7 people were washed to sea and lost thier lives, Houses were swept away/destroyed and cars were washed to sea. :-\

That type of flash flood is not unusual in Malta. We often had storms that quickly formed, as they do in the Mediterranean with the weather changing quite suddenly.  When we lived in our Villa on Crucifix hill down to the Grand Harbour, I often saw it turned into a river.  One particular time though we had three storms come in from the direction of Sicily, one after the other and it all lasted over 3 hours.  What a spectacle it was with almost constant lightening and thunder! 8) 8) 8)  Never heard of any deaths though or lasting damage.

As said, the weather over the Mediterranean can change very quickly from baking heat, to massive storms.  With an island like Malta GC the storms can circulate for hours.  Still would love to live there again although at the moment it must be like living in an oven even more than a 'normal' Summer is in Malta! :o :o

« Last Edit: 15 August 2021, 13:36:16 by Lizzie Zoom »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.