Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A wasted week  (Read 2679 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: A wasted week
« Reply #30 on: 05 January 2022, 18:06:14 »

Exactly the case with my sky box.
you can choose the power saving options on SKY HD boxes  ;)

and NOW TV boxes

and YOUVIEW boxes

your BETAMAX video recorder / player maybe not Uncle Stemo  ;D
No need. Switch off at the mains turns it off, no power being used. I think power saving settings merely power down after a certain period of time, thus putting it into standby, when it's still using around 25 Watts.
How very "climate friendly / green" of you

I'll keep mine always ON to balance the power you save with the power i use  :y    :D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 January 2022, 18:08:42 »

and NOW TV boxes

and YOUVIEW boxes

No need. Switch off at the mains turns it off, no power being used. I think power saving settings merely power down after a certain period of time, thus putting it into standby, when it's still using around 25 Watts.

I'll keep mine always ON to balance the power you save with the power i use  :y    :D
I'm not green, just tight.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 January 2022, 18:20:04 »

and NOW TV boxes

and YOUVIEW boxes

I'm not green, just tight.
I'm very tight too

but the cost involved in keeping it on VS not having to explain how to turn the TV ,SKY , NOW TV etc back on is a saving

and keeping the planet warm too
I live on top of a hill so not worried about flooding due to some ice caps melting  :)
there's some penguins down the road at the zoo if i felt the need to look at one  :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 January 2022, 18:54:21 »

and NOW TV boxes

and YOUVIEW boxes

The YouView ones don't support a proper standby. Not sure about NowTV, as not interested in pure streaming devices.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 January 2022, 18:59:32 »

I'm very tight too

but the cost involved in keeping it on VS not having to explain how to turn the TV ,SKY , NOW TV etc back on is a saving

I live on top of a hill so not worried about flooding due to some ice caps melting  :)
there's some penguins down the road at the zoo if i felt the need to look at one  :P
I too live on the top of a hill, and try to create as much rubbish as possible by not recycling, so raise land levels.  And care not about the environment, and will never I've up cows. Ever.

But I am tight when it comes to paying energy companies, and the £2.5k I pay Gritish Bas, which is estimated to go up to approaching £4k in the Spring, is already way too much.  So even 30W on 24/7 needs to be looked at....

...thats in addition to potential fire risks from cheap Chinky devices being left on.  Not sure why fire is always at the back of my mind...
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 January 2022, 19:28:06 »

I'm very tight too

I too live on the top of a hill, and try to create as much rubbish as possible by not recycling, so raise land levels.  And care not about the environment, and will never I've up cows. Ever.

But I am tight when it comes to paying energy companies, and the £2.5k I pay Gritish Bas, which is estimated to go up to approaching £4k in the Spring, is already way too much.  So even 30W on 24/7 needs to be looked at....

...thats in addition to potential fire risks from cheap Chinky devices being left on.  Not sure why fire is always at the back of my mind...
Why not generate your own electricary then

just amass all the combustibles, aerosols,  etc   in the garage until you have enough to power a furnace to run a turbine  :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 January 2022, 19:29:50 »

I'm very tight too

I've just had aHarry Ramsdens cow pie. Lovely.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 January 2022, 19:34:22 »

By standby, I mean <1W power, not the old scheme Humax used to use which effectively kept the device on all the time at 20-40W (which isn't really standby).

How would I measure it? My Humax turns on again quite quickly .... a few seconds.
So its not actually going off in the case of Humax - it simply changes the LED colour, and drops the signal telling the TV its on from the HDMI port.  Power consumption still remains about the same as if you didn't turn it off.  Or certainly thats the case with most Humax boxes, including the latest Aura box.
My new LG telly has an energy saving setting .... ie it switches itself off after so long of inactivity, but because channel changing & volume etc is done via the a/v box it'd tell us it was about to switch off. I found the setting to tell it not to - eventually after a pointer from YouTube  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 January 2022, 20:06:19 »

By standby, I mean <1W power, not the old scheme Humax used to use which effectively kept the device on all the time at 20-40W (which isn't really standby).

How would I measure it? My Humax turns on again quite quickly .... a few seconds.
So its not actually going off in the case of Humax - it simply changes the LED colour, and drops the signal telling the TV its on from the HDMI port.  Power consumption still remains about the same as if you didn't turn it off.  Or certainly thats the case with most Humax boxes, including the latest Aura box.
My new LG telly has an energy saving setting .... ie it switches itself off after so long of inactivity, but because channel changing & volume etc is done via the a/v box it'd tell us it was about to switch off. I found the setting to tell it not to - eventually after a pointer from YouTube  :y
All of our Samsungs have done that, nannying bastards  ;D
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 January 2022, 10:33:06 »

My Samsungs do that, and being an avid Media Center user, the TV just gets set to HDMI1.

Fortunately, because its rare I sit in front of a TV for 4 hours, its rarely a problem.  I had found a way to disable it previously, but have since factory reset it due to it being sluggish, and CBA to look again ;D
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06 January 2022, 11:22:06 »

My Samsungs do that, and being an avid Media Center user, the TV just gets set to HDMI1.

Fortunately, because its rare I sit in front of a TV for 4 hours, its rarely a problem.  I had found a way to disable it previously, but have since factory reset it due to it being sluggish, and CBA to look again ;D

The Samsung that it replaced was too old for such electrickery  ;)
The a/v box now changes the HDMI1 to something else now when you go onto Netflixs/etc

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 January 2022, 11:53:13 »

I've fixed a few TV's/PVR's for friends and family. It's almost always the power supplies that pack in - usually the diodes in the switch modes PSU's. Things with external power bricks aren't worth fixing - just replace the brick. But TV's more often have a built in mains switch mode supply

IMV turning small electrical/electronic devices on and off to save electricity is false economy. Turning stuff on is usually when the PSU's have the greatest loads put on them, as they charge all the internal smoothing capacitors. This strain is when the PSU is most likely to fail. Once the TV is up and running the load on the PSU is fairly constant - there are fewer surge loads. I can't remember the last time something went 'pop' whilst it was in normal use. I can remember lots of things that went 'pop' as I tried to turn them on.

I haven't checked what my setup draws (Humax Freeview PVR + generic 42" flat screen telly), but I doubt it's anything like 20W. Even if it is, running a 20W load for 24 hours costs about 9.5 pence - so less than £35 a year. I think my PVR box was around £100, and the TV about £300. I doubt either would last more than a few years if they were turned on and off 365 times per year.

So £35 for ever, or £300+ every few years to replace the TV because some fool has been turning it on and off every night to "save money". Hmmm.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2022, 11:54:50 by LC0112G »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06 January 2022, 12:22:25 »

My cheapo Samsung 40" tv is a bout 5 years old and gets turned off and on about 4 times daily. That's means the sky box does too. Both still working fine and, by your reckoning, and if they're off 50% of the time, I'm at least £70 up.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 January 2022, 18:24:03 »

My cheapo Samsung 40" tv is a bout 5 years old
My 48" is about the same, though suspect I'll have to replace it soon.  I'm guessing mine is one of the Samsung's of the era that used those shit LG panels, judging by all the purple blotches.

Given the cost of the backlight LEDs, its probably not worth changing multiple strips (not sure now many strips are on mine, but I reckon I have at least 3 LEDs across different strips that are shining purple instead of white.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 January 2022, 20:07:50 »

My cheapo Samsung 40" tv is a bout 5 years old
My 48" is about the same, though suspect I'll have to replace it soon.  I'm guessing mine is one of the Samsung's of the era that used those shit LG panels, judging by all the purple blotches.

Given the cost of the backlight LEDs, its probably not worth changing multiple strips (not sure now many strips are on mine, but I reckon I have at least 3 LEDs across different strips that are shining purple instead of white.
My 44"?? Samsung just started to show black lines towards the bottom of the screen about 6" long ... a day or two later 1 became 3 .... I never even considered repairing it
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.