Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Speakers  (Read 2107 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Audio Speakers
« Reply #15 on: 22 February 2022, 20:41:52 »

Why is the dog constantly barking?

I suspect that the issue is with the people rather than the dog ???

If our Tibetan Terrorist is anything to go by, she goes garity at the milkman. Not the one at 2am in a diesel Transit, but the one at 4.30pm in the traditional milk float. Go figure  ::)

I'm no dog expert but my wife has owned and trained them in the past . The collie is left unattended all day so it's logical to believe that it is in effect guarding it's territory from all that comes close to it . It seems to be an unloved dog that was taken in as a rescue animal but not treated as a pet as we know it . The approach to pet ownership in Ireland differs considerably from UK as we have witnessed many times in the past .
We have never threatened , shouted at or abused the dog but the fact that it growls and bares it's teeth at me when it sees me at the fence is enough to persuade me that it doesn't really want to be my buddy ..

If our Tibetan Terrorist is anything to go by, she goes garity at the milkman. Not the one at 2am in a diesel Transit, but the one at 4.30pm in the traditional milk float. Go figure  ::)

I'm no dog expert but my wife has owned and trained them in the past . The collie is left unattended all day so it's logical to believe that it is in effect guarding it's territory from all that comes close to it . It seems to be an unloved dog that was taken in as a rescue animal but not treated as a pet as we know it . The approach to pet ownership in Ireland differs considerably from UK as we have witnessed many times in the past .
We have never threatened , shouted at or abused the dog but the fact that it growls and bares it's teeth at me when it sees me at the fence is enough to persuade me that it doesn't really want to be my buddy ..

Collies need loads of stimulation and exercise I believe?  ???

So maybe that's the issue if it's unloved, unexercised and neglected.  :-\ 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2022, 20:45:39 »

My solution would be to make friends with said pooch and try to make sure it wasn't so stressed all day. But the I'd end up being it's babysitter while next door where out, and worry about having to go away on holiday or the like.
It's kind of happened with old lady's horse in the yard by our house. Fickin thing whinnies like mad as soon as I turn up home in the car, waiting for it's carrots.
Diesel till I die

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 February 2022, 20:46:29 »

What sort of dog is it ?
if a dog bares its teeth at you then its more frightened of you or what it thinks you are going to do then anything else.
I can understand your feelings mate but targeting the dog is wrong.
Sort the cause out not the symptom. 

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 February 2022, 20:47:06 »

What sort of dog is it ?
if a dog bares its teeth at you then its more frightened of you or what it thinks you are going to do then anything else.
;D ;D
Diesel till I die

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 February 2022, 20:49:27 »

What sort of dog is it ?
;D ;D

nobhead  :P  ::) ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2022, 20:50:57 »

What sort of dog is it ?
;D ;D

Oi! I represent that remark.  ;D
Diesel till I die

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2022, 20:53:38 »

What sort of dog is it ?
;D ;D

Oi! I represent that remark.  ;D

Good man  :y ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2022, 22:29:15 »

Don't buy speakers, buy a shotgun. :D

I wish Ronny ...
Unless you have been subjected to persistent dog barking from 8am to 11pm by a dog that is turned out in all weathers and never shown affection or company then I suppose it's difficult to understand the problem.
TBF it's not the dogs fault but the owners who are unwilling or incapable of training it . I suspect it more the former .If they would restrict it to the other side of their land then there would be no problem.
I'll also go down the official route and am in process of applying to our local court for a hearing in front of the Magistrate ,my lawyer will present that case .

Then I'll make their life a misery .

Years ago i lived next door to a selfish couple who, every weekend, buggered off back to London, leaving their poor old Labrador to whine and bark all weekend. Tried to engage with the @rseholes but were not interested. After a while got RSPCA involved, who took the poor mutt away. They were a bit frosty after that.  ;D. The bloke got done later on for domestic abuse. What a charmer.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2022, 23:13:30 »

Most speakers are about as efficient as a toaster at converting electrical energy into sound energy. Their 'power' rating is basically telling you how hot they get (how much power they can dissipate), not how much sound power they output (how loud they are).

A coil speaker (which is what your 4 ohm ones are) is literally a moving coil of wire held between the poles of a magnet. That coil of wire has a DC resistance - 4 ohms in your case. If you stick an AC signal into it, then the (RMS) power dissipated in that 4 ohm resistance is given by:

Power(rms) = (V(rms) ^ 2) / R

V(rms) of a sine wave is the peak to peak voltage divided by 2root2 (2.828)

So to get 30 watts RMS into a 4 ohm speaker you need to drive it with about a 31V peak to peak signal (typically +15V to -15V single ended).

Note that puts 30 watts of electrical power into the speaker. It does NOT generate 30 watts of sound energy - nothing like it. You probably get 0.1 Watts of sound energy, and 29.9Watts of heat out of it. The speaker coil has to be designed to get rid of that 29.9W of heat or it'll melt. It's this melting of the coil that limits speaker power, and is why concentrating on 20W, 30W, 100W or 250W is pointless. What you really need to know how efficiently the speaker converts the electrical energy into sound energy. A 10W speaker can be much louder than a 100W speaker if it's more than 10 times as efficient.

Speaker efficiency can range from 85db (crap) to 105db (pretty good). Doesn't seem much difference, but each 3db increase is a doubling in sound output, so 105db is more than 100 times louder than 85db - for exactly the same input power.

So all that 20W, 30W, 100W or 250W tells you is how hot everything is going to get, not how loud it's going to sound.

A piezo speaker doesn't have a wire coil, it works on stressing a piezo (sort of glass/ceramic) in an electric field. It doesn't have a fixed 'resistance' and behaves reactively. This can upset an amplifier designed to drive a normal moving coil speaker (which does behave resistively over most of it's useful range)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2022, 23:44:51 »

Oh, yes, and...

Most home audio amplifiers have a top end frequency cut-off in the 20-25KHz region. This is because they're designed for human hi-fi listening, and not even Agnetha can get that high when belting out Dancing Queen with the volume turned up to 11. Few humans can hear more than 16KHz, and as you get older this decreases. And if you stand close to jet engines often enough - pardon.

A second reason is that the CD sampling rate is 44.1KHz, and that little sh1t Nyuist who made every engineering degree students life a misery states that you need to filter at or below half the sampling rate to remove aliasing distortion. Therefore 22.05KHz is the theoretical max, so most amplifiers designed in the digital age will have an upper frequency limit lower than 22KHz.

So what I'm saying is even if you stuff 40Khz into your amplifier, chances are it won't output 40Khz.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 February 2022, 23:51:18 »

Oh, yes, and...

Most home audio amplifiers have a top end frequency cut-off in the 20-25KHz region. This is because they're designed for human hi-fi listening, and not even Agnetha can get that high when belting out Dancing Queen with the volume turned up to 11. Few humans can hear more than 16KHz, and as you get older this decreases. And if you stand close to jet engines often enough - pardon.

A second reason is that the CD sampling rate is 44.1KHz, and that little sh1t Nyuist who made every engineering degree students life a misery states that you need to filter at or below half the sampling rate to remove aliasing distortion. Therefore 22.05KHz is the theoretical max, so most amplifiers designed in the digital age will have an upper frequency limit lower than 22KHz.

So what I'm saying is even if you stuff 40Khz into your amplifier, chances are it won't output 40Khz.

:y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 February 2022, 00:06:02 »

You dont want speakers, you want a shotgun.

Not for the poor dog, obviously.  :-X ::)

Irish version of RSPCA might be the answer ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 February 2022, 08:47:21 »

Just a thought. Are these speakers pointing across the Atlantic?

Could be what is causing the “ Havana effect” in the American embassy in Cuba. If so you might be getting a drone visit from Uncle Sam .  ;D

Barking dogs is a big problem in rural Spain. People install a dog or more at their unoccupied rural properties and visit once or twice a week with food ( usually unused stale bread). We feed a mastiff that is chained up about two miles away. Once when we arrived we thought it was dead but it turned out to be a whole dead sheep that the farmer had left it to gnaw on. Thankfully new laws come in next month giving animals a lot more rights including changing from being objects to being sentient. The police will be swamped with work.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 February 2022, 10:03:27 »

Just a thought. Are these speakers pointing across the Atlantic?

Could be what is causing the “ Havana effect” in the American embassy in Cuba. If so you might be getting a drone visit from Uncle Sam .  ;D

Barking dogs is a big problem in rural Spain. People install a dog or more at their unoccupied rural properties and visit once or twice a week with food ( usually unused stale bread). We feed a mastiff that is chained up about two miles away. Once when we arrived we thought it was dead but it turned out to be a whole dead sheep that the farmer had left it to gnaw on. Thankfully new laws come in next month giving animals a lot more rights including changing from being objects to being sentient. The police will be swamped with work.

That's absolutely tragic , almost uncomprehensible.
We have witnessed instances like that , but way less severe , here in Ireland .
I have a good friend who farms and he often keeps a dog rope tied to a fence post in the rain or sun and fed whatever is available , it's a friendly cross breed that adores attention when I go to it. This guy would give you his last and go to the end of the earth for you but his ingrained family attitude to animals from farming would break your heart . I find it very very difficult when I visit his property .
I also knew a guy who would take his Golden Lab with him to work and keep it in the boot of his Mazda 6 only letting it out a couple of times during the day . WTF...!
My problem dog seems to be well fed but just ignored and unloved .
Maybe I should try some humour and fix this to the fence  ....

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 February 2022, 10:17:14 »

You dont want speakers, you want a shotgun.

Not for the poor dog, obviously.  :-X ::)

Irish version of RSPCA might be the answer ?

My wife is already looking into that Albs but it feels odd having to involve 3rd parties like that to quieten a noisy dog . As I say elsewhere , the dog seems well fed, just unloved .
The owners are from what you would think to be a decent background , he a retired restaurant owner and she from the family of the owners of the largest group of independent newspapers in Ireland she is also the ex sister in law of Ray Davies of the Kinks ....

Anyway , the " white noise " sound cannons will be commissioned later today .
Ahhh...it's something to do in this tedious retirement I suppose . ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.