Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Sealed for life" Washing Machine Bearings  (Read 2684 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: "Sealed for life" Washing Machine Bearings
« Reply #30 on: 09 March 2022, 20:56:53 »

Our Maytag washer came from Costco complete with a 10 yr parts warrenty. It was more like £500 but I believe we've never had a problem with it  ;)  ..... buy cheap -- buy twice  ::)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 March 2022, 21:11:14 »

My Hotpoint is 12 years old and no issues - but then again again it doesnt have a woman overfilling it all the time. ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 March 2022, 21:18:21 »

You gotta love a feisty white goods thread  ;D ;D
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 March 2022, 10:49:02 »

My Hotpoint is 12 years old and no issues - but then again again it doesnt have a woman overfilling it all the time. ::)

:-[ :-[ :-[  I must admit to that, and most of us do.  That is why we have D&G to supply a nice new drum every so often when “the squeal” happens. ;D ;D ;D

Really there should be a domestic 15kg load machine available for us……….the Whirlpool top loading machines in the USA seem to hold far more than ours for instance.  ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 March 2022, 10:55:02 »

:-[ :-[ :-[  I must admit to that, and most of us do.  That is why we have D&G to supply a nice new drum every so often when “the squeal” happens. ;D ;D ;D

Really there should be a domestic 15kg load machine available for us……….the Whirlpool top loading machines in the USA seem to hold far more than ours for instance.  ;)

I wonder how many men who complain about overloading washing machines have actually weighed their work van? 8)
When we did our fitters vans, NONE of them were under the legal maximum 3.5tonnes....

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 March 2022, 11:15:39 »

Washing machines in the US are about 50% bigger than ours and I expect they use at least 50% more water and electricity as well!  :)

Similar to their cars really.  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 March 2022, 11:17:14 »

Washing machines in the US are about 50% bigger than ours and I expect they use at least 50% more water and electricity as well!  :)

They can only get the same number of items in, though, because their clothes are 50% bigger.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 March 2022, 11:40:33 »

They can only get the same number of items in, though, because their clothes are 50% bigger.  ;D

Good point!  :y  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 March 2022, 13:25:03 »

Watched Michael Mosley on 'Obese Britain' last night, channel 4.

Apparently the 'fat bastard' capital of Britain is Rotherham. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2022, 18:12:50 »

Such policies have their uses, but are generally a waste of money...

Save the premium and the new machine will pay for itself. £15 a month saved will buy a new appliance every three years.

Wrong again! ::) ::)

I pay just £3.85 for my washing protection, and as with all my D&G policies, I get my money worth and peace of mind overall with what I get back. ;)
And? A decent machine that lasts for 15-20 years (like our previous Bosch washer and drier) cost around £2 a month over their lifetimes. The drier needed no repairs... When it stopped drying properly it was quicker and easier to do without than mess around fixing it. And the washer had one replacement pump and needed the impeller unblocking twice. Total cost was about £50 for the pump.

When it finally decided to play up electronically, we simply bought a brand new Bosch washer drier. Even if it only lasts half the time of the previous ones it will have cost less than £10 a month.

Your £3.85 could have bought both.

And £15 a month saved for three years, aka £540 will buy a decent machine, whether you choose to accept it or not.

If you insist that I am wrong just because you don't wish to accept that I may actually be right, then you need to be more specific, because all the above statements are, in fact, true.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2022, 19:50:47 »

It does seem many machines, like Indeshit (including Hotpoint), make machines that will just last the real warranty of 1yr (as pointed out above, the warranty on Hotpoint beyond 1yr is parts only...   ...and the callout is £96, and then about £70 per hour, which makes it a silly idea to even contemplate using that warranty.

Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 March 2022, 20:02:19 »

My Samsung is coming up five years, no warranty claims, used every day and is still going strong. I'll probably get another when this one gives up.

I'm surprised it hasn't shaken itself to bits, really. Our kitchen has a wooden floor (with a proper space underneath) and I find it almost impossible to stop it vibrating on spin. I've jammed a couple of folded up tea towels between it and the worktop, stops it vibrating so much but it rattles the cupboard doors.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 March 2022, 20:38:07 »

Such policies have their uses, but are generally a waste of money...

Save the premium and the new machine will pay for itself. £15 a month saved will buy a new appliance every three years.

Wrong again! ::) ::)

I pay just £3.85 for my washing protection, and as with all my D&G policies, I get my money worth and peace of mind overall with what I get back. ;)
And? A decent machine that lasts for 15-20 years (like our previous Bosch washer and drier) cost around £2 a month over their lifetimes. The drier needed no repairs... When it stopped drying properly it was quicker and easier to do without than mess around fixing it. And the washer had one replacement pump and needed the impeller unblocking twice. Total cost was about £50 for the pump.

When it finally decided to play up electronically, we simply bought a brand new Bosch washer drier. Even if it only lasts half the time of the previous ones it will have cost less than £10 a month.

Your £3.85 could have bought both.

And £15 a month saved for three years, aka £540 will buy a decent machine, whether you choose to accept it or not.

If you insist that I am wrong just because you don't wish to accept that I may actually be right, then you need to be more specific, because all the above statements are, in fact, true.

;D ;D so obviously you have not used a washing machine regularly cleaning numerous childrens and adult clothes which wears out even the best machines. You also have not given your wife/partner the choice to have a brand new up to date appliance with eco settings to match todays needs!  “15 -20 years” , what a joke.  You really love playing the male brinkmanship game, hence you constantly (as STEMO correctly puts it ) talk shit!  ::) ::) ::)

Also where are you constantly getting “£15” from?  As I said I pay £3.85 a month, which yes will rise to closer £10, but not £15. ::) ::)

« Last Edit: 10 March 2022, 20:39:38 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 March 2022, 20:52:27 »

My mum uses those domestic appliance insurance. It works for her. No idea what she pays, and it doesn't cover really old stuff either if deemed irrepairable.

She's not in a position to fix stuff like that herself, and she seems to have dreadful trouble getting tradespeople to come (I know that feeling with bastard builders round here  >:(), so having a nice man turn up the next day and pull out her (fitted) appliances to fix them probably is "value", no matter what the cost, within reason.

I have just read your post TB and it is very correct.  Peace of mind is very important to us who would not dare try and repair a white appliance.  The process with D&G is so straightforward and means we have a repair man/ woman always at the end of a telephone call without any extra costs beyond a very reasonable monthly premium.

As I touch on before, if the engineer cannot fix the machine, they will provide a like for like replacement.  In addition we build up rewards which gives us a very decent discount if we decide to replace the old machine just for an update.

“Peace of mind” I cannot repeat enough when you have constantly a build up of washing to be done or food / drink to be kept cold / frozen  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 March 2022, 21:43:07 »

I said £15 as a reasonable short term budget amount to buy a new machine every three years. What part of that is wrong?

As for getting all pissy about whether I do laundry or not, and how much. That's none of your business but rest assured that when and if I choose to have kids, (or inherit someone else's), I can guarantee that the amount of washing will be irrelevant in that decision. And I sure as hell won't be asking you for advice for any of it.

As it goes, that washing machine was purchased new in 2001. The new one in 2021, so again, that is 20 years, and in that time has washed all my uniforms, bedding, clothes, dog beds etc plus Mother's laundry.

Was it efficient? It was A rated when new, as is the new one that replaced it. It's not a question of brinkmanship or any other pretentious label you choose to put on it, but the result of spending a bit more to buy a decent product.

I cannot help it if you or anyone else decides to buy a washing machine that obviously isn't very good...
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.