Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: sat navs  (Read 4215 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: sat navs
« Reply #30 on: 09 January 2023, 07:16:30 »

I rate Google Maps and always have it on if doing a long trip, even if I know where I'm going as it'll route you around hold ups, give you warning of speed traps/crashes etc and you know what time you'll get there.  :y
I often put the Nav on on longer journeys for the same reason - detours and ETA :y
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 January 2023, 07:36:31 »

Is the SD OK?  And the standard one supplied is quite small (but plenty big enough for UK and a few other countries at the same time).  I haven't worked out yet how its locked to the car (presumably just an encrypted file with VIN etc).

I know you can copy the files to another SD, and that still works.  I have shit load of 64GB cards, which easily allows all of Europe, so I copied my files to one of them, and then plugged that into the PC, and allowed it to download all European maps, and thats what we use.

I can post you one with our files on if you want a go at cracking how its locked to the car, but I have no idea what will happen if you get it wrong - presumably all Nav and all Jaguar Voice stuff will stop working until it sees a card that is locked to it.

Yes, I copied everything to a larger card ages ago on Mr. DTM's advice as I think they wear the cards by using them as swap. ::) Copied card works fine in the car, but the upgrade software just barfs when I present either card to it. :(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 January 2023, 07:54:21 »

From memory jaguar use Tandy electronics from 1972 for their satnav.

I'd be tempted to update the maps in mine if :
a) The update software didn't just bomb out with an error every time I try to do it
b) It was capable of sending me down roads that don't have grass growing down the middle. Maybe mine has the mud-plugging Land Rover version installed by mistake?

;)
Not had any issues with hers, but hers is the poor mans version (DTM will know the exact designation) that you plug the SD into a computer.  I'm guessing yours is the OTA update version?

As for routing decisions, hers is set to default I believe, and slightly favours major roads, and has never taken us a silly route, even if its not always the route I'd personally take.

Biggest gripe is the voice control for the Navigation part seems less comprehensive than I think it should be.

My XJ is the HDD gen2.1, which sadly the maps are no longer available for, and needed a bit (not much, there are only about 3 settings) of config to get decent route planning.  My biggest gripe beyond the lack of maps now is the TMC settings aren't granular enough - the options are off, any alert, or very major delays.

Its the Touch system made by Harman, same setup was used by Lexus and Toyota in the high end cars (but the owners of these are to old to use Satnav)

The Bigger screen (no side buttons) is the Touch Pro which is a Bosch lump with quad core Intel processor, that has OTA from release 19.2 software (but not for maps

The full OTA is PIVI from LGE (spit.....)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 January 2023, 08:00:11 »

The full OTA is PIVI from LGE (spit.....)
I know you love Lucky Goldstar really....

Aren't you mob pushing the pivi on the current ads ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 January 2023, 08:04:54 »

The Bigger screen (no side buttons) is the Touch Pro which is a Bosch lump with quad core Intel processor, that has OTA from release 19.2 software (but not for maps
I know the XJ mob with the Touch Pro's are getting OTA map updates. Or claim to be.

I can't keep up with all the infotainment stuff as JLR keep rebranding it.  I think the older system in mine is now also called InControl Touch <something>, but was never called InControl 6 or 7 years ago when it was still fitted to new cars.   Shame no new map updates, seeing as I'd finally worked out how to update the maps without a VIN key.... ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 January 2023, 08:08:41 »

Is the SD OK?  And the standard one supplied is quite small (but plenty big enough for UK and a few other countries at the same time).  I haven't worked out yet how its locked to the car (presumably just an encrypted file with VIN etc).

I know you can copy the files to another SD, and that still works.  I have shit load of 64GB cards, which easily allows all of Europe, so I copied my files to one of them, and then plugged that into the PC, and allowed it to download all European maps, and thats what we use.

I can post you one with our files on if you want a go at cracking how its locked to the car, but I have no idea what will happen if you get it wrong - presumably all Nav and all Jaguar Voice stuff will stop working until it sees a card that is locked to it.

Yes, I copied everything to a larger card ages ago on Mr. DTM's advice as I think they wear the cards by using them as swap. ::) Copied card works fine in the car, but the upgrade software just barfs when I present either card to it. :(
I wonder if the card reader is at fault then?  Not sure if the original card is SDHC or SDXC (probably the former), but certainly the 64Gb ones I'm using will be SDXC.  I know older SD readers struggle with various versions of the SD format.

(I have to own up, I didn't use Windows to do mine, I used a Mac (which is more of a sin than DTM buying LG stuff))
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 January 2023, 08:26:57 »

I know the XJ mob with the Touch Pro's are getting OTA map updates. Or claim to be.

I can't keep up with all the infotainment stuff as JLR keep rebranding it.  I think the older system in mine is now also called InControl Touch <something>, but was never called InControl 6 or 7 years ago when it was still fitted to new cars.   Shame no new map updates, seeing as I'd finally worked out how to update the maps without a VIN key.... ;D

They are not getting OTA on the Touch system for Maps, its not capable and neither is the Here Maps back end for this type, only software updates (hence how we rolled out Car play and Android Auto to them).

Will ask what map file type it uses (if anyone can remember) as they are pretty standard across many car types

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 January 2023, 08:51:30 »

They are not getting OTA on the Touch system for Maps, its not capable and neither is the Here Maps back end for this type, only software updates (hence how we rolled out Car play and Android Auto to them).

Will ask what map file type it uses (if anyone can remember) as they are pretty standard across many car types
As I understand it, the update for Carplay/Auto started but then got pulled for unknown reasons, so most later X351 XJs don't have it.

So, to clarify, they have to unplug the SD from the car and into a computer for maps, same as I do on hers?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 January 2023, 09:17:45 »

As I understand it, the update for Carplay/Auto started but then got pulled for unknown reasons, so most later X351 XJs don't have it.

So, to clarify, they have to unplug the SD from the car and into a computer for maps, same as I do on hers?

No, you have to use a USB stick (larger than 32GB formatted with FAT32), the update tool then downloads a map update file to it. Plug it into the User Interface Panel (UIP) USB slot and it updates the MAP file whilst driving (MAP file is hosted on the internal flash of the Bosch unit). The USB memory stick can be removed once its complete.

Most of the SOTA updates need a manual push, and it can be dependent on TCU software level also plus, the very first Touch systems do not have the UIP which includes the Crapple interface chip (as Crapple are self-abusers and insist on a buit of thier own tech on board).

If you have any VINs ping them over and I can see if I can spot anything
« Last Edit: 09 January 2023, 09:20:55 by Marks DTM Calib »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 January 2023, 09:29:25 »

Or you can use maps on your phone ;D

Joking aside, how often does it require that doing to it?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 January 2023, 09:42:38 »

Or you can use maps on your phone ;D

Joking aside, how often does it require that doing to it?

New maps every month, upto the user if they update or not (some do, some don't) as in this case the updates are part of the annual fee

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 January 2023, 11:00:13 »

Most of the SOTA updates need a manual push, and it can be dependent on TCU software level also plus, the very first Touch systems do not have the UIP which includes the Crapple interface chip (as Crapple are self-abusers and insist on a buit of thier own tech on board).

If you have any VINs ping them over and I can see if I can spot anything
I'm guessing her car can't have Carplay/Android auto, as its the basic one.

I'll see what the XJ owners are doing to update maps. Wouldn't put it past them to "think" they are getting updated maps, just because they have the subscription ;D
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 January 2023, 08:19:03 »

Wouldn't put it past them to "think" they are getting updated maps, just because they have the subscription ;D

Getting on for 4 years ago when I bought my ML, Merc updated the COMAND on it to the current maps. They were still way out of date eg the upgraded junction north of Lancaster had been up & running for a good while but wasn't showing on COMAND and IIRC there was a by-pass around Bristol (?) that wasn't showing either. If it'd been my £140 to 'upgrade' it I'd have been p'd off

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 January 2023, 08:24:16 »

Wouldn't put it past them to "think" they are getting updated maps, just because they have the subscription ;D

Getting on for 4 years ago when I bought my ML, Merc updated the COMAND on it to the current maps. They were still way out of date eg the upgraded junction north of Lancaster had been up & running for a good while but wasn't showing on COMAND and IIRC there was a by-pass around Bristol (?) that wasn't showing either. If it'd been my £140 to 'upgrade' it I'd have been p'd off

What version of NTG do you have? and what version are your current maps.  There is a 'way'  I'm up to date and never paid a penny.  The update process is very easily fooled into installing the new maps.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 January 2023, 08:47:06 »

What version of NTG do you have?
Never sure what it is  :-[
Looks like the one in this car https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115605439917?hash=item1aea9f05ad:g:fL8AAOSwRXxjdcoP&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoEdGgoubW6I%2FN2i6Hz0gPnxIFxbiAvLgqPshxGXvHCPNZ0QcMs5XWcfIbGlBTXZVE3fNdBZWPZES7aF1d0AOlNK%2FM5BHpXO77RTxL8HotOjZdXY0nh%2Bvb7JTOYYRIHl%2B6iZ%2F%2B4%2BsA9l%2FsQdQzqeclQ%2BVKN%2Bh4BcdISXRbJxntp7XWJ8EtsQ9bojmrPUNiX8jQ2olC70Rh%2Bjs5qH%2Bs2KzdQU%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6bL0q2zYQ

and what version are your current maps.  There is a 'way'  I'm up to date and never paid a penny.  The update process is very easily fooled into installing the new maps.
I'd have to go & look  .... it's piddling down!  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 17 queries.