Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Open source Xmas  (Read 2293 times)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
Open source Xmas
« on: 19 December 2006, 12:29:58 »

Would like the opinion of the real geeks.  :)

Got my eye on two little trinkets for Xmas.  The first I am almost sure to get, the second is not very likely at this time.  However, I would like your thoughts on both.  I have never used regular Linux, so embedded could be a bit of a stretch for me.  However, it looks like something worth learning.

First one:  http://www.neurosaudio.com/osd/osd.asp

Other one:  http://craig.gp2x.de/review/GP2XReview.html

Cheers!  ;)
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Open source Xmas
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2006, 12:54:54 »

i almost asked my uni to buy me a GP2X for a project... never did in the end.

However i really like the first one you posted up, not read it all yet... just skimmed over it. But looks great bit of kit, it says its got home networking. I spy the RJ45 connection on the back, but it would better if it had wireless. Because you could use it downstairs with your TV but since its only wired networks, could prove annoying.

I vote first one, GP2X is basically a PSP that runs Linux..

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2006, 13:38:37 »

However i really like the first one you posted up, not read it all yet... just skimmed over it. But looks great bit of kit, it says its got home networking. I spy the RJ45 connection on the back, but it would better if it had wireless. Because you could use it downstairs with your TV but since its only wired networks, could prove annoying.

Wireless isn't an issue for me, since the wireless router is plugged into the cable modem behind the tv.  18" of CAT5 and I'm on wireless.  :)

Not that I have an upstairs  :( :P

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2006, 13:47:29 »

Wireless isn't an issue for me, since the wireless router is plugged into the cable modem behind the tv.  18" of CAT5 and I'm on wireless.  :)

Not that I have an upstairs  :( :P

Personally i am waiting for apples project "iTV" dunno if you heard of it, seen it on one of Steve Jobs Keynotes.

Its about the size of a MacMini just 50% thinner, has wireless and connections for a TV. The nice interface you get on new Mac's with remotes (Spinny screen) you can get on your TV and it access all your movies and music on your Mac, from your TV. Should be good and well priced  ;D

I know you can use something like a xbox 360 as a media server to do the same, but its just too expensive. I expect the "iTV" to be a lot cheaper.

Pictures & read here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/12/hands-on-with-the-apple-itv-prototype/

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2006, 16:13:39 »

That looks like just a player?  I need a recorder, and also already have HDMI and optical out on the Mini.  Does look cool though.  Wonder if it uses the whole screen on HDMI unlike the Mini?  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2006, 18:22:30 »

Don't get me wrong - Linux has its place - but not in consumer stuff or on desktop PCs.
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2006, 22:26:53 »

Don't get me wrong - Linux has its place - but not in consumer stuff or on desktop PCs.
I might as well start playing with it sometime.  OTOH, do you know of a similar consumer product that I should consider?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2006, 14:29:48 »

I might as well start playing with it sometime.  OTOH, do you know of a similar consumer product that I should consider?
I'm a Media Center man, but not sure I would recommend them, except to techies.  Don't get me wrong, excellent stuff, but not quite ready for dumb consumer market quite yet.  Being Windows XP, making changes, or adding new features, codecs etc etc is easy...
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2006, 15:50:18 »

Thanks.  Well, I ordered it so we'll see how it goes.  What I wanted was something that recorded MPEG4 and I could transfer it to my computer, but ran independently of my computer so that I could have it record without leaving the computer on.  This is the only thing that I found in that price range that would do that.  Being able to play back is secondary, I can do that better from the computer.  It's getting royally difficult to find VHS tapes these days, and I would rather keep stuff on CD-R than VHS anyway.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2006, 18:00:44 »

Thanks.  Well, I ordered it so we'll see how it goes.  What I wanted was something that recorded MPEG4 and I could transfer it to my computer, but ran independently of my computer so that I could have it record without leaving the computer on.  This is the only thing that I found in that price range that would do that.  Being able to play back is secondary, I can do that better from the computer.  It's getting royally difficult to find VHS tapes these days, and I would rather keep stuff on CD-R than VHS anyway.
As I said, MCE ;)

Get an OEM copy of MCE for around £70...
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2006, 21:48:32 »

As I said, MCE ;)

I'm confused.  Isn't that a PC OS?  How does that help me record MPEG4?  Still need some sort of adapter.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2006, 18:16:53 »

As I said, MCE ;)

I'm confused.  Isn't that a PC OS?  How does that help me record MPEG4?  Still need some sort of adapter.
By default, it records a (MS) version of MPEG2. But being a PC at heart, nothing stopping you scheduling batch jobs to convert to XVID etc...
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2006, 22:59:36 »

As I said, MCE ;)

By default, it records a (MS) version of MPEG2. But being a PC at heart, nothing stopping you scheduling batch jobs to convert to XVID etc...
It does if you have a media center PC with a coax TV in, which I don't have.  I don't have any sort of video in, so I would still need some sort of USB adapter.  It does look interesting if you buy the media center PC though.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2006, 10:21:55 »

It does if you have a media center PC with a coax TV in, which I don't have.  I don't have any sort of video in, so I would still need some sort of USB adapter.  It does look interesting if you buy the media center PC though.
I built my media center - standard components, just in a more appropriate 'dvd player' looking case. I put in a pair of twin tuner PCI cards for a total of 4 tuners...
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 December 2006, 11:37:29 »

I built my media center - standard components, just in a more appropriate 'dvd player' looking case. I put in a pair of twin tuner PCI cards for a total of 4 tuners...
Hah!  I don't even get 4 channels over the airwaves!  Have a digital NTL box.

It should be here today, so maybe next week I will be able to say how well it works.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 17 queries.