Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gerry Marshall  (Read 1927 times)

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
Gerry Marshall
« on: 11 January 2007, 21:23:27 »

Okay i was made to feel an old git at work today. There we were in the tea room and a few lads started talking football about how so and so was a good player and how much this guy was bought for (not a football buff as you can tell). and then conversation turned to F1 and i was a bit more involved. Then i dropped a bomb shell after they were arguing who was better Mansell or Hill the son, and i said there was someone even more successful than them who won over 600 races in his career, and i believe holds the record for most successful wins. A blank stare was the reply. So i said it was Gerry Marshall. Again blank stares, DTV,"Old Nail" says I. "Baby Bertha" says I. Blank stares say them.
Please someone tell me they remember sideways Marshall racing, and the fact that he died last year.
A great man who put Vx clearly on the racing leader board and started a Vx revolution :-[
You came in that, your braver than i thought

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Gerry Marshall
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2007, 21:26:23 »

For what it's worth, Graham Hill once bought me a pint in the Bonnington Hotel, Southampton Row, London.
I like red cars

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2007, 21:41:46 »

For what it's worth, Graham Hill once bought me a pint in the Bonnington Hotel, Southampton Row, London.
If you still got it it will be worth a few bob. ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2007, 22:28:35 »

Ow yes Gerry marshall....there is some classis footage with him in Baby Bertha.....amazing guy and he must have been 18+ stone to...

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2007, 22:37:25 »

I've accidently turned round in Nigel Mansell's drive in Jersey - how was I supposed to know it was private access - apart from all the big signs I mean  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 11 January 2007, 22:37:38 by Chopsdad »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Nickbat

« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2007, 23:38:51 »

Yep, I remember Gerry Marshall. Great driver. :y

Also remember seeing Frank Gardner at Brands Hatch (in a huge 7 litre-ish Camaro) having one of his many titanic struggles with Brian ("Yogi") Muir (initially in a similar Camaro and later in a BMW 635Csi). Swear you could feel the ground shake when Frank squirted that Camaro out of Clearways...

Now THAT was racing. None of this Scalextric F1 nonsense we get today.

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2007, 09:48:31 »

I've been quite a keen motor racing fan for several decades (mostly F1) and sadly I've got to admit I really haven't heard of Gerry Marshall. :-[ :-[ What formula did he drive in?

On another note while we're doing a bit of name dropping, I've got an autographed black and white photo of Jim Clark.
When I was a bin lid, I used to go to work with my Dad who's job it was service various company's fire equipment. One of his customers was Lotus when their F1 team were based in Cheshunt in Hertfordshire. Like something out of a schoolboys dream, Jim Clark happened to be there on the same day as me and my Dad and I got to meet Colin Chapman who then introduced us to Jim Clark whereby he signed the photograph and gave it to me. I've kept this in a protective wallet and treasured it ever since. :) :) :)

« Last Edit: 12 January 2007, 10:34:29 by bob.dent »
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2007, 10:02:35 »

Well, Gerry Marshall used to live literally round the corner from my wife in Buckinghamshire. It seems he wasn't a particularly savoury chap to be aquainted with and regularly tried to pick fights with my father in law for no reason.
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2007, 12:35:44 »

Heres the man himself in Baby Bertha.......you need good speakers to appreciate the big Holden V8, I have posted this before so some may have already seen it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxxpMI__5o

I love the quote 'its the first time we have had trouble with the engine except when it blew up)......
« Last Edit: 12 January 2007, 12:37:52 by Mark »

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2007, 13:09:17 »

Heres the man himself in Baby Bertha.......you need good speakers to appreciate the big Holden V8, I have posted this before so some may have already seen it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxxpMI__5o

I love the quote 'its the first time we have had trouble with the engine except when it blew up)......

......and what a fantastic sound!! :y
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2007, 13:10:20 »

Remember Gerry Marshall well - boyhood hero. Another guy was Brian Robinson - Lotus Cortina Mk1 (anybody remember the experiment with a boot lid that opened hydraulically, to aid braking, when the brakes were applied - didn't work). Then there were the giant killers in their Cooper S Mini's.

A few years ago they showed one of the best saloon car races I have ever seen on TV - in black and white. I think it was from Oulton Park. There was more overtaking in one race than in a current F1 season. I think Gerry was in that.  
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2007, 13:26:00 »

Can't knock the guys driving talent!!

What a glorious sight in that film though!! All fire breathing grass roots racing cars!! Awsome!! Loved the MKIII Cortina and the Jag.
If I have to explain you won't understand!

miked

• Intermediate Member
  • North Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2007, 13:41:52 »

Who?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.