Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for those involved in IT Security  (Read 723 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Question for those involved in IT Security
« on: 17 June 2009, 11:24:10 »

I am in the process of beefing up our local IT security and part of it includes the installation of a 'sheepdip'

I have looked online for advice and many are saying that at least 2 AV products should be installed.....? Will the presence of 2 AV suites cause conflicts?

Also any other advice on the subject would be appreciated.  I am rather new to this  :D

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Question for those involved in IT Security
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2009, 11:40:22 »

Rather than using two AV products, (waste of money) use one security appliance which allows you to turn on the security features you actually need. For example, at the moment you may need AV but also Intruder Detection or URL filtering etc. In the future you may wish to add email filtering etc but dont want to incur the licensing costs for those additional apps yet. There are a few devices out there that can grow with your need (and budget) so better to get some professional help from an expert or at least visit some of the manufacturers websites. Whoever you speak to make sure they are asking about YOUR requirements rather than trying to sell you THEIR products.  :y

I know we shouldnt publish or recommend specific company names etc here but feel free to PM me if you need some pointers.  :y

Dave
some day.....

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2009, 12:08:28 »

I already know which product(s) I am allowed to go for and it is basically just for checking removable media for virus, malware, spyware, etc so there is no internet or network connection to this machine at all.  All updates done manually of course.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2009, 17:58:04 »

Presumably for sheepdip, just av products?  Generally, nowadays, these do not trip over each other, but I suspect each vendor will say its an unsupported config.

If you need 2 av products, 2 sheepdips if you think you may need the support of the vendor
Grumpy old man

KillerWatt

« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2009, 20:15:23 »

While 2 seperate AV products may not interfere with each other, they sure as s*it won't do your machine any favours in the performance stakes.

Why don't you give us a clue and tell us what you are allowed to consider (and if you say Norton is one of those products, then god help you).

PS
If it's just a sheepdip, you wanna be looking at more than just AV....even if it is a standalone.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2009, 20:16:25 by KillerWatt »

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2009, 22:32:59 »

Not too fussed about performance, it just has to scan USB drives upto 2GB and CD/DVD Roms.

Sorry I wasn't too clear, when I speak of AV I mean the whole AV, Spyware, Malware specrum...its easier to just say AV  :D

Was thinking about Mcafee as I can get a good discount and in my employers world, saving money talks even if it is only 20 quid  :-[

KillerWatt

« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2009, 22:38:26 »

There isn't an all in one that will catch everything, but my particular fave (after using quite a few) is NOD32.

Don't take my word for what's best though, read the reviews for yourself and make that corporate decision ;)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2009, 22:44:41 »

There isn't an all in one that will catch everything, but my particular fave (after using quite a few) is NOD32.

Don't take my word for what's best though, read the reviews for yourself and make that corporate decision ;)

tbh, I dont care if it catches everything or not, it is more a case of being seen to have certain procedures and facilities in place.................. ::) ::)

If they were serious about it they would not give me a 2 year old PC that was about to the back loaded up the supply chain before I found it under a layer of dust....

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2009, 08:50:32 »

Dont install 2 AV products - they will probably conflict and will certainly slow your PC.  OK to install more than 1 anti spyware/malware product - these generally won't conflict and none are 100% - some will find most items and others will pick up the rest!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.