Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a multimeter  (Read 1550 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Using a multimeter
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2009, 11:36:21 »

Before you start playing .... what's your address? Just so we know where to send the emergency services!!  ::)  ::)  ::)

;D

KillerWatt

« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2009, 11:39:24 »

Checking the terminals of the disconnected solenoid, I get a reading of 1, so I guess it is fubared.

If its reading 1, thats a short, are you sure your measuring Ohms?
A reading of 1 on a DMM is open circuit

If His measuring resistance of 1, then thats 1ohm, assuming its 240v driven, then 1 ohm accross 240volts? that to me is a short.
Read the original post again.
The number 1 will be on the left hand side of his display, which is indicating that the probes are not measuring anything.

Nickbat

« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2009, 11:40:19 »

Well, 1903 could be the resistance reading....I assume you have it set to an ohms range and the power is off with the supply wires to the solenoid (at least one of) disconnected?

My multimeter has a symbol like Concorde flying left to right and a vertical line running just ahead of the wings ( ;D). From the website I looked at this is apparently the lone continuity setting. It did say you could check with evreything in situ, but I'll just nip down and take the two wires off and recheck the values. 

That sounds like diode test mode (or continuity test). What you actually want to do is to test the resistance of the coil. If that resistance is high diode / continuity test mode may well not work as that mode is designed to look for short circuits or very low resistances.

If would say put it on an ohms range instead (perhaps 20k ohms or so, working down if the reading is very low) and see what reading you get.

If you let us know what model of meter you've got it might help. ;)

Kevin

It's a Sinometer (cheap Chinese job, I think). Anyway, I have the solenoid here and I've turned the dial to 20k, at which I get a reading of 4.99.

On 200 ohms I get a reading of 1.

This is like a foreign language to me!  ;D ;D ;D :D

KillerWatt

« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2009, 11:42:23 »

It's a Sinometer (cheap Chinese job, I think). Anyway, I have the solenoid here and I've turned the dial to 20k, at which I get a reading of 4.99.
That means the solenoid has an internal resistance of 5K ohms (5000 ohms)

That simply indicates the meter is out of range.

Nickbat

« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2009, 11:47:25 »

Thanks, KW, but is that good or bad?  :-?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 September 2009, 11:50:31 »

That sounds about the right ballpark to me. It's not open circuit (the normal failure mode), at least.

Next question: does it get power when the machine is supposed to be filling?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 September 2009, 11:50:50 »

So what do we think Gents, 5k?, if its 240v driven sound a bit on the high side to me, works out about 50mA, Not enough to to switch a water solenoid me thinks.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 September 2009, 11:53:50 »

Next question: does it get power when the machine is supposed to be filling? .....

meter set to next setting above 240 on the ~ AC volts range  ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 September 2009, 11:54:46 »

So what do we think Gents, 5k?, if its 240v driven sound a bit on the high side to me, works out about 50mA, Not enough to to switch a water solenoid me thinks.

That's 12 watts. OK, it will have considerable inductance so won't draw anything like that much power, but I'd say that's enough.

Does the machine have a hot and cold feed? Can you compare the two solenoids if so?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nickbat

« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2009, 12:00:11 »

That sounds about the right ballpark to me. It's not open circuit (the normal failure mode), at least.

Next question: does it get power when the machine is supposed to be filling?

Kevin

Just checked, Kevin and the answer is No. Looks like I've been barking up the wrong tree. Sorry, guys!  :-[

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 September 2009, 12:00:35 »

That's 12 watts. OK, it will have considerable inductance so won't draw anything like that much power, but I'd say that's enough.

Does the machine have a hot and cold feed? Can you compare the two solenoids if so?

Kevin

Good plan, didn't think of that, or measure the the one that drains it, actually cancel that thats probally going to be a pump?  :y
« Last Edit: 14 September 2009, 12:02:47 by zirk »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #26 on: 14 September 2009, 12:07:02 »

Nickbat , those kind of equipments sometimes have more than 230V somewhere else.. so stop that.. and call someone professional before you hurt yourself.. :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 September 2009, 12:18:05 »

Nickbat , those kind of equipments sometimes have more than 230V somewhere else.. so stop that.. and call someone professional before you hurt yourself.. :-/

I'd have done that in the first place .... being a lazy bugger.
The last time our washer made funny noises, the drum wouldn't turn. I assumed a siezed bearing in the drum, so bought another washer ::). As the old washer was being removed, the back was still off from clearing coins out of the pump, I realised that it was a simple bearing in the drive motor that had collapsed!
A new bearing from work fixed the machine for nothing and it's still doing washing duties at my parents house!

KillerWatt

« Reply #28 on: 14 September 2009, 13:34:26 »

The internal resistance won't be 5K when it's fed from an AC source.

Nickbat

« Reply #29 on: 14 September 2009, 13:38:01 »

I'm OK, Cem. The solenoid can easily be pulled clear of the machine and tested without danger. But thanks for the concern, mate!  :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.