Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central heating and landlords  (Read 643 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Central heating and landlords
« on: 10 November 2009, 07:39:00 »

As previously mentioned on another thread I have been without heating for the last 5 weeks after the gas inspector broke the boiler.  Maintenance on my property is sub contracted and I have one of their longest running complaints open on their file about this.

The first engineer came and ordered a new fan, a week later it arrived.  It was the exact same fan but it wouldent fit properly.  So a new seal was ordered. That took 2 weeks to arrive, but a different engineer came and said it needed a different fan.  Now they are talking about replacing the boiler some time this or next week.

Hot water is provided through an immersion boiler and they have provided 2 small space heaters for our rooms.  The living room has an electric fake fire thingy.

My question is, does anyone know where I stand vis-a-vis the law and obtaining compensation for this.  I have fallen ill twice since the heating has been off, before which I had only been ill once this year.  There must be something about provision to tennants but I can only find info about gas safety certificates.

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
Re: Central heating and landlords
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2009, 07:48:22 »

being a tennant im sure if the problem is not resolved in 30 days you have the right to have the work done yourself then charge the landlord. you can also write to the tennants association ombudsman who will act on your behalf to resolve it.

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2009, 07:49:28 »

have a look at this site, may help a bit

http://www.riky.co.uk/page/128/Gas-Regulations-April-09.htm

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2009, 08:00:40 »

As previously mentioned on another thread I have been without heating for the last 5 weeks after the gas inspector broke the boiler.  Maintenance on my property is sub contracted and I have one of their longest running complaints open on their file about this.

The first engineer came and ordered a new fan, a week later it arrived.  It was the exact same fan but it wouldent fit properly.  So a new seal was ordered. That took 2 weeks to arrive, but a different engineer came and said it needed a different fan.  Now they are talking about replacing the boiler some time this or next week.

Hot water is provided through an immersion boiler and they have provided 2 small space heaters for our rooms.  The living room has an electric fake fire thingy.

My question is, does anyone know where I stand vis-a-vis the law and obtaining compensation for this.  I have fallen ill twice since the heating has been off, before which I had only been ill once this year.  There must be something about provision to tennants but I can only find info about gas safety certificates.

i think you will find that as long as the landlord is providing a heating sorce ( space heaters ) and he is making reasonable progres to fix the fault ( turning up ) then you ain't got a leg too stand on mate  :( :(

sorry, i used to work for these wank*rs  >:( >:(

KillerWatt

« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2009, 08:10:24 »

As TG said, from what you have written it sounds like they are fulfilling their legal obligation at this point in time (although I'll bet the heaters are nowhere near big enough to heat the space).

What I can tell you from personal experience is that if you have any children under 5 in the property, or a mentally disabled child under 18, they move very quickly indeed.

Wanna borrow our eldest for a day? LOL

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2009, 09:13:19 »

I would be inclined to drop the Landlord a line, stating that his temporary heating provision is inadequate and if not resolved within the next week, you will have the work carried out yourself and costs deducted off the rent.

Keep everything in writing and confirm any conversations in writing.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2009, 09:26:01 »

I would be inclined to drop the Landlord a line, stating that his temporary heating provision is inadequate and if not resolved within the next week, you will have the work carried out yourself and costs deducted off the rent.

Keep everything in writing and confirm any conversations in writing.

My rent is taken out of my pay at source so I cannot withhold it.

I have written to my landlord with all the details and that which legal website looks good.  Hopefully they will get a move on now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.