Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: World's Population  (Read 1973 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

World's Population
« on: 10 December 2009, 17:48:09 »

Watched a fascinating documentary last night on BBC2 by Sir David Attenborough on the subject of how many people can the Earth sustain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pdjmk/Horizon_20092010_How_Many_People_Can_Live_on_Planet_Earth/

Roughly the basic facts are that according to UN figures we are at 6.8 billion today, and in about 4 months time it will hit 7 billion. By 2050 this will reach probably 9 billion.

Working on the basis of a calculation that each person ideally requires 2 hecters of land production to sustain them, the World can cope with about 11 billion.  But based on what the average American uses, 9 hecters, and Britain, 5 hecters, the Earth will only sustain between1.5 to 2.5 billion long term.  Using the hecters that Indians use the limit is around 15 billion.

Thomas Malthus in 1798, amid a growing population boom, expressed the opinion that this would lead eventually to the outstripping of food production and future famines.  Fortunately agricultural practices have kept advancing to produce enough food for the world's expanding population - until apparently now.  With water and oil supplies deminishing to such an extent that creating food in the quantities required, let alone producing the surpluses witnessed to recently, it is now becoming doubtful the Earth can provide long term for the human race, and come 2050 things will be decidely desperate!

An added fact was that India will have a population of 1.5 billion,  outstripping China's then 1.4 billion.

With our climate under going some form of change, these facts make for some further serious thought.  Maybe the only thing to say, and hope for, is GOD HELP US!!  Especially our children, grand children, and great grand children :( :( :(
« Last Edit: 10 December 2009, 17:53:22 by Lizzie_Zoom »

cem_devecioglu

Re: World's Population
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2009, 17:51:32 »

next step, we will start to kill each other to survive ;D

seriously population control sooner or later must be done..and I think some rather idiots (guess who) dont help the situation by advising 3 children for every family >:( >:(

pembroke

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2009, 17:54:27 »

Watched a fascinating documentary last night on BBC2 by Sir David Attenborough on the subject of how many people can the Earth sustain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pdjmk/Horizon_20092010_How_Many_People_Can_Live_on_Planet_Earth/

Roughly the basic facts are that according to UN figures we are at 6.8 billion today, and in about 4 months time it will hit 7 billion. By 2050 this will reach probably 9 billion.

Working on the basis of a calculation that each person ideally requires 2 hecters of land production to sustain them, the World can cope with about 11 billion.  But based on what the average American uses, 9 hecters, and Britain, 5 hecters, the Earth will only sustain between1.5 to 2.5 billion long term.  Using the hecters that Indians use the limit is around 15 billion.

Thomas Malthus in 1798, amid a growing population boom, expressed the opinion that this would lead eventually to the outstripping of food production and future famines.  Fortunately agricultural practices have kept advancing to produce enough food for the world's expanding population - until apparently now.  With water and oil supplies deminishing to such an extent that creating food in the quantities required, let alone producing the surpluses witnessed to recently, it is now becoming doubtful the Earth can provide long term for the human race, and come 2050 things will be decidely desperate!

An added fact was that India will have a population of 1.5 billion,  outstripping China's then 1.4 billion.

With our climate under going some form of change, these facts make for some further serious thought.  Maybe the only thing to say, and hope for, is GOD HELP US!!  Especially our children, grand children, and great grand children :( :( :(

So, if I was a 'one in a million kind of guy' and I lived in China they'd be 1400 more just like me? ;)
« Last Edit: 10 December 2009, 20:22:33 by pembroke »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2009, 17:54:59 »

seriously population control sooner or later must be done..and I think some rather idiots (guess who) dont help the situation by advising 3 children for every family >:( >:(

Very true Cem, and we need to perhaps (very controversially!!) to limit all couples to 1 child as the Chinese do.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2009, 17:56:35 »

So, if I was a 'one in a million kind of guy' and I lived in China they'd be 14000 more just like me? ;)

ermm.. must be 1400..

HolyCount

« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2009, 18:12:05 »

Very true Cem, and we need to perhaps (very controversially!!) to limit all couples to 1 child as the Chinese do.

Just as well, it seems !

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2009, 18:17:23 »

agreed Lizzie.. With todays economic conditions its  not easy to grow even 1 children..at least here..

and I'm afraid in the future we will be exposed to very strict limitations  :(

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2009, 18:19:23 »

or may be politicians have good solutions in mind : like nuclear wars ;D ;D

threppence

• Leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2009, 18:23:56 »

You can't limit children

I like children---but I couldn't eat a whole one ;D
When INJUSTICE becomes LAW,

RESISTANCE becomes DUTY

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2009, 18:23:58 »

Just as well, it seems !

i think 2 children is enough, if you want more then you pay for there upkeep, why should my taxes go towards the upkeep for large families who cant afford to have finance them thereselves. especially the lazy bstrds that have about 8 kids and the father will never work.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2009, 18:27:18 »

and another subject also comes to mind ..

And in my opinion couples must proove their proficiency to be a parent economically, physically and psychologically (which was necessary for a long time for a healthy society :-/ :-/ :-/ but who cares :( :()

threppence

• Leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2009, 18:35:33 »

And in my opinion couples must proove their proficiency to be a parent economically, physically and psychologically (which was necessary for a long time for a healthy society :-/ :-/ :-/ but who cares :( :()

I kind of want to agree but it's getting a bit eugenic.  :-/

But obviously there is a limit to the sustainability of a massive population with a finite amount of resources.
When INJUSTICE becomes LAW,

RESISTANCE becomes DUTY

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2009, 18:37:49 »

'Twas indeed a potent reminder of the fragile state of the earth : people v resources. As usual it was a little thin on actual info, made instead to hold the average attention span of Joe Public.

For me the other salient facts were:

- In 3rd world countries, where education was compulsory for both boys and girls, the birth rate has dropped.

- Issues with the amount of water actually available. 1 billion people do not have access to safe drinking water. Living in a hot dry country I for one can appreciate that problem.

- The inescapable fact that population is going to continue to rise due to longer life expectancy due to medical science even if the rest of the world follows Chinas quite draconian limits on family size. Too many people see it as their "God given right" to have a family of whatever size they choose".

The most sinister revelation to me was that the more advanced countries (China included) are wholesale buying up large chunks of poor countries, like those in Africa, and setting up to produce food (using irrigation - local water) to feed people back home. Meanwhile the locals continue to starve and have less land each for their subsistence farming.

Oh dear.

Varche   
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

sexydaz

« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2009, 18:48:33 »

il help out by eatin folk,i love chinese :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2009, 18:49:59 »

I kind of want to agree but it's getting a bit eugenic.  :-/

But obviously there is a limit to the sustainability of a massive population with a finite amount of resources.

yep.. a bit eugenic.. :(  but I dont see any reason to pass a deadly cancer or other sickness to your children and suffers same like you..  :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.