Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any central heating experts about?  (Read 5746 times)

Taxi_Driver

Re: Any central heating experts about?
« Reply #30 on: 22 March 2007, 19:25:54 »

Why on earth are you changing the controller when

a) The fault does not sudgest its the controller...
b) You have carried out a test which proves its not the controller....

Plus you have a Screwfix trade counter....

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/hlp/TradeCounterSwindon.jsp?ts=73713

Who do the valves etc....

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102632&ts=73565&id=81844

It could well be the 3 way valve.....but im suspucious that i cannot hear the relay clicking in the controller when i press the CH button but can when i press the HW button.
And i dont think the test i did proved anything to be honest......ok yes it would have done if the boiler and pump fired up (knackered controller definately) but i dont know if the system needs another feed (another closed circuit  perhaps) before it will work  :-/

Plus changing the controller, if i get the same make (if not the same model) will be a 2min job.....changing the 3 way valve will take me considersably longer esp if if i have to drain the system down  :(

And as i said i'll just take the controller back and swap for a 3 way valve.

Cheers for the screwfix info  :y....i didnt know that.....reason i mentioned wickes....they are doing discount as its a new store plus they (i think) are more likely to take the controller back if it doesnt fix the prob....screwfix may as well  :-/

STMO123

« Reply #31 on: 22 March 2007, 19:29:31 »

Or.....to save a lot of time and effort.......you could just get a central heating engineer to fix it.....you tight barsteward ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #32 on: 22 March 2007, 19:30:22 »

Ive got exactly the same problem. Ish

when my water is on - fine
when both are on - fine
when ch is on - nothing, just the water being pumped around and the boiler does not fire.

I always thought this was normal lol

Not quite exactly the same, mine doesnt pump the water....

And no i havent a clue whats wrong with yours  ;D  ::)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #33 on: 22 March 2007, 19:37:37 »

Or.....to save a lot of time and effort.......you could just get a central heating engineer to fix it.....you tight barsteward ;D

Mark will probably let you know this should be replaced with 'technician'  or similar  ;D

You try getting one in Swindon! Last year I tried for 2 months to get someone to fit a gas fire in my living room.....it was one of those gas stoves with a catalytic convertor in it, so it doesnt need a flue. One did turn up and promptly refused to fit it, saying those things are dangerous! ( yeah right, I had one in my last house for 2 years and it never killed me) and rest of them i callled never showed up

Did it myself in the end......must have got it partly right....as I havent exploded or killed myself  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 March 2007, 19:40:22 »

Mark will probably let you know this should be replaced with 'technician'  or similar  ;D

You try getting one in Swindon! Last year I tried for 2 months to get someone to fit a gas fire in my living room.....it was one of those gas stoves with a catalytic convertor in it, so it doesnt need a flue. One did turn up and promptly refused to fit it, saying those things are dangerous! ( yeah right, I had one in my last house for 2 years and it never killed me) and rest of them i callled never showed up

Did it myself in the end......must have got it partly right....as I havent exploded or killed myself  ;D
And your dodgy Corgi mate wrote you out a certificate? ::)
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #35 on: 22 March 2007, 19:55:14 »

Nope...Dont see why you need one if you live at the property. I had to get a corgi certificate on a house i used to own that i was renting to the local council......corgi bloke turned up.....turned of all gas appliances measured the pressure at the meter.....yep its fine no leaks.....wrote out certificate....charged me £40 for 10 mins work!

Now im no expert......but that doesnt seem adequate.....but hey, council were happy!  

STMO123

« Reply #36 on: 22 March 2007, 20:17:42 »

Nope...Dont see why you need one if you live at the property. I had to get a corgi certificate on a house i used to own that i was renting to the local council......corgi bloke turned up.....turned of all gas appliances measured the pressure at the meter.....yep its fine no leaks.....wrote out certificate....charged me £40 for 10 mins work!

Now im no expert......but that doesnt seem adequate.....but hey, council were happy!  

I thought all installations, gas and electric, whether in your own home or someone elses, had to be certified by a registered engineer (corgi term, not mine)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #37 on: 22 March 2007, 20:41:50 »

I thought all installations, gas and electric, whether in your own home or someone elses, had to be certified by a registered engineer (corgi term, not mine)

Probably does m8......but i dont see why!? Can see the point if selling/renting

I look at it this way.....when you come to sell your meega (for another one of course!) potential buyer askes to see the service book.....notices it has a lacking of dealer stamps.....he/she asks why.....you say i do all my own servicing.....they ask you a qualified mechanic then?.......see my drift?  

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 March 2007, 20:44:58 »

Probably does m8......but i dont see why!? Can see the point if selling/renting

I look at it this way.....when you come to sell your meega (for another one of course!) potential buyer askes to see the service book.....notices it has a lacking of dealer stamps.....he/she asks why.....you say i do all my own servicing.....they ask you a qualified mechanic then?.......see my drift?  
I think it is a legal requirement...  :-?
Grumpy old man

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 March 2007, 11:44:45 »

Re your test TD

Sorry I thought you said you had seen the valve driving to HTG mode? :-/
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 March 2007, 12:01:09 »

I think it is a legal requirement...  Huh

If you're working on a gas appliance, yes, but we have only been talking about the programmer and 3 way valve, which are electrical / plumbing devices.

I see no reason why they can't be DIY jobs. Certain electrical jobs are now covered by part P and require building regulations approval, etc. etc. which in turn requires them to be certified but that's not the case for fitting a replacement part, unless I've missed something.

After all, no-one's going to know if your 3-way valve broke so why would they know you should have a certificate to say it's been replaced?

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 March 2007, 12:27:18 »

I think it is a legal requirement...  Huh

If you're working on a gas appliance, yes, but we have only been talking about the programmer and 3 way valve, which are electrical / plumbing devices.

I see no reason why they can't be DIY jobs. Certain electrical jobs are now covered by part P and require building regulations approval, etc. etc. which in turn requires them to be certified but that's not the case for fitting a replacement part, unless I've missed something.

After all, no-one's going to know if your 3-way valve broke so why would they know you should have a certificate to say it's been replaced?

Kevin

I was on about TD fitting his gas fire ;)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 March 2007, 12:42:01 »

As with all the regs surrounding these things.....you can drive a bus through them...

e.g. The Part P regs state that you can not carry out wiring work on any thing within the confines of a bathroom.....however, if you were for example fitting recessed lighting into a bathroom which met the required IP specs for the various zones and you made the connections to these from above (i.e. the loft).....you are well within the regs and can do this yourself....in reality for Part P there is pretty much nothing you cant do if broken down into suitable small 'repair' activities....

Similarly, the gas regs are also very poorly worded and can easily be got around.....particularly if carrying out a job for yourself i.e. for no reward and showing a level of compitence (this might simply be the carrying out of a gas leak test...which is realy quite straight forward)........fitting a replacement boiler though does require a building control submission....

Remember Corgi have nothing to do with the regs at all, thats the job of the gas council (or what ever they are called these days)....

The sad fact is that most who work in the associated fields do not fully understand the legal details of the regs etc and hence there is a lot of poor information around regarding them...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 March 2007, 12:47:59 »

As with all the regs surrounding these things.....you can drive a bus through them...

e.g. The Part P regs state that you can not carry out wiring work on any thing within the confines of a bathroom.....however, if you were for example fitting recessed lighting into a bathroom which met the required IP specs for the various zones and you made the connections to these from above (i.e. the loft).....you are well within the regs and can do this yourself....in reality for Part P there is pretty much nothing you cant do if broken down into suitable small 'repair' activities....

Similarly, the gas regs are also very poorly worded and can easily be got around.....particularly if carrying out a job for yourself i.e. for no reward and showing a level of compitence (this might simply be the carrying out of a gas leak test...which is realy quite straight forward)........fitting a replacement boiler though does require a building control submission....

Remember Corgi have nothing to do with the regs at all, thats the job of the gas council (or what ever they are called these days)....

The sad fact is that most who work in the associated fields do not fully understand the legal details of the regs etc and hence there is a lot of poor information around regarding them...
And a brother who is a Sparky is handy for doing any certs on any Tizzy stuff I do.  I'm OK at plumbing (no regs as far as I know).  Don't know any Corgis, so last boiler me and Mrs TheBoy's dad fitted, we got out a Corgi to do the regs, so cost £20...
« Last Edit: 23 March 2007, 12:48:36 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23 March 2007, 12:52:43 »

My cousin is a 'leaky fitter' and is Corgi registered, I have done a fair few jobs with him so he just signs it off for me now....

I enjoy water plumbing......quite theraputic working with copper.....not into plastic yet......I know how rubber seals tend to leak when they are distrubed after 10 or so years....plus there not such fun!

As for wiring....if I cant do it then there is no way a sparky can........ow the days of 11KV live wiring....interestingly, I have been regularly testing my installs for 10+years....how many sparkys have been doing that!

My view of the regs to be quite frank is that they are a bit pointless.....the bodgers will continue to bodge, th ones who were always doing a good job and have a concience will stop.....nothing gained...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.