Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Video Card Required.  (Read 956 times)

Moos3h

• View Profile
Re: New Video Card Required.
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2010, 09:02:51 »

I build PC's week in, week out and although they almost never have dedicated graphics, we've had some cheapo Radeon cards in this week and they are fantastic!  You're running a very high res, so you'll need a bit of beef but I think the cards you've mentioned will do the job admirably.

It's amazing what you can get for a little cash these days.

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2010, 09:03:09 »

I am still running my 8800GTX and not found a game it can't run so I would say stay as you are unless it is fubarred :y
No more Omega but still hangs around

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2010, 09:26:13 »

I know the combination of Windows 7, Media Player (or MCE), ATI and hi-def is currently problematic.

It looks like a MS problem, but only affects ATI cards.
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2010, 09:37:48 »

still happy with 8600 GT here :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2010, 10:20:11 »

I am still running my 8800GTX and not found a game it can't run so I would say stay as you are unless it is fubarred :y

I will continue running the 8800GTX in a machine more dedicated just for gaming.  It has been a long term plan as I moved to upgrade all my PC's I use to 64bit.

I have 5 boards and CPU's

One board has DDR2 and DDR3 plus AGP and PCI-e greaphics and takes quad core CPU's, so that was bought as a test bench as it has all the slots on it. (ASROCK)

Have my current board, now 3/4 years old, wont handle multicore but is a good basic system (Gigabyte GA-8A-SLI mobo)

Then I have a Q6600 and Gigabyte P45 Chipset boaord with 4 GB DDR2 but also has DDR3 slots and lots of SATA connections so will be using the board at least as a server to replace my old AMD 2600+ server that has 4 xIDE sockets hence it runs 6 hard drives and 2 DVD/RW all IDE.

Bought an MSI board for a mate to build him a PC then he changed his mind.

Plus I just bought myself an ASUS P5Q Deluxe and a flat case to hook up to my TV, hence the question regards videocards.

Have single core 3.0 + 3.2 + 3.4 Ghz CPU's and a 3.0 Dual core plus the Q6600

Have the 8800GTX 768 plus this 7600GT 256, The MSI is onboard Graphics so I need a medium spec Graphics card for the ASUS and another cheapie for the server which I think I have a 6600GT PCI-e and I have a 6600GT AGP that will suffice for the test bed.

All I need now is the time to build the bloody things,
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

KillerWatt

« Reply #20 on: 30 January 2010, 10:37:18 »

Plus I just bought myself an ASUS P5Q Deluxe and a flat case to hook up to my TV, hence the question regards videocards.
I don't really use the PC for gaming (other than the odd blast of M.A.M.E), but I'm using an nVidia 9600GT on an ASUS P5Q3 and can't fault it at all.

It took a few hours of twiddling with the default BIOS settings to get the machine as fast as possible without it falling over (E8400 now running at 3.6GHz stable), although all those settings are now saved in one of the 2 profile slots that are available.

Don't bother installing any of the software that is on the accompanying DVD (other than the drivers for the mobo), it's a waste of time and will cause you headaches.
Similarly, make sure you disable the "Express Gate" feature in the BIOS.
Apart from it causing problems to some OS's under certain hardware configurations, I really can't see the point in the motherboard having internet access when the OS itself hasn't even loaded.

KillerWatt

« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2010, 10:39:21 »

I know the combination of Windows 7, Media Player (or MCE), ATI and hi-def is currently problematic.

What's the actual problem J?

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2010, 10:59:23 »

I don't really use the PC for gaming (other than the odd blast of M.A.M.E), but I'm using an nVidia 9600GT on an ASUS P5Q3 and can't fault it at all.

It took a few hours of twiddling with the default BIOS settings to get the machine as fast as possible without it falling over (E8400 now running at 3.6GHz stable), although all those settings are now saved in one of the 2 profile slots that are available.

Don't bother installing any of the software that is on the accompanying DVD
(other than the drivers for the mobo), it's a waste of time and will cause you headaches.
Similarly, make sure you disable the "Express Gate" feature in the BIOS.
Apart from it causing problems to some OS's under certain hardware configurations, I really can't see the point in the motherboard having internet access when the OS itself hasn't even loaded.

I very rarely do, on the odd occasion I install it all to have a nosey just before I do a format and reinstall.

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2010, 12:19:15 »

Poor playback.

Microsoft have said its likely their issue, but only ATI users see the problem as the end result is a crash on the ati chip, resulting in a ATI chip recovery process, which is time consuming (in cpu terms).
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2010, 01:36:45 »

Poor playback.

Microsoft have said its likely their issue, but only ATI users see the problem as the end result is a crash on the ati chip, resulting in a ATI chip recovery process, which is time consuming (in cpu terms).

Is it all cards or just certain models?

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31 January 2010, 07:54:25 »

Poor playback.

I see from the Artisan forum that some beta drivers have been released that apparently fix the problem.

(Ronski reply no. 4655 on page 156)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.