Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aaaaargh Have you ever lost a socket  (Read 1183 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Aaaaargh Have you ever lost a socket
« on: 31 March 2007, 17:44:06 »

Inside your engine whilst working ??????  >:(

Just lost one of my key sockets about 1 hour ago conecting coolant bridge on vectra. It fell from the front of the block at drivers side downwards and clunked but never appeared on the ground. Its not lying on the tray underneath either.....

Ive had the bugger on ramps / bounced / wheels off....

Ive used my mirror on a stick and my magnetic tool things....

And still nothing  :o

Suppose the good thing is it hasnt gone near belts or actually into the inside of the engine....

Im sure it wont do any damage.... :-/
« Last Edit: 31 March 2007, 17:45:36 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

STMO123

Re: Aaaaargh Have you ever lost a socket
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2007, 17:45:27 »

Oh well.........if you're sure :o

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2007, 17:53:45 »

Oh well.........if you're sure :o

im not but theres even less room in that bay than in the 3.0 omegas - and its hiding  :'(
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2007, 18:17:29 »

My old estate was riding around with an E12 firmly lodged into the power steering pump bracket.....

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2007, 18:21:00 »

My old estate was riding around with an E12 firmly lodged into the power steering pump bracket.....

its obviously a women thing as this was an e10 female torx too  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2007, 20:23:00 »

Inside your engine whilst working ??????  >:(

I lost a Torx drive while bolting up the cam shaft sprocket on my Manta B (CIH 1.9) down the cam chain cover  :'(
That Torx bit was never going to rust .... it did miles & miles & miles in the sump!!  :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2007, 21:54:36 »

I lost the screw-on cap from the end of my DTI into the plug hole of no.1 cylinder of a Zetec I was building once. I'd just set up the cam timing and got it absolutely spot on (fast road cams, no timing marks, so measuring it with the DTI).

Once I'd stopped swearing I had a good fish around and retrieved it after about an hour poking around with one of those "magnet on a stick" devices. What a lifesaver!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2007, 22:07:11 »

I got my car back from the garage a few years back and it had developed a new rattle from the bay.  So I took it back and he found he'd lost a socket - but it was still attached to the handle!! :o
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2007, 22:26:00 »

Years ago my old man had a Renault 20 GTX V6 and he had the engine rebuilt be a local garage. When the car was started for the first time a socket came through the side of block. The mechanic must have left it on one of the conrod nuts :o
Retired

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2007, 22:41:40 »

I lost the screw-on cap from the end of my DTI into the plug hole of no.1 cylinder of a Zetec I was building once. I'd just set up the cam timing and got it absolutely spot on (fast road cams, no timing marks, so measuring it with the DTI).

Once I'd stopped swearing I had a good fish around and retrieved it after about an hour poking around with one of those "magnet on a stick" devices. What a lifesaver!

Kevin

This below was worrying.

The throttle was sticking on my Sunbeam (tuned 1600 with twin Strombergs) dismantled at the side of the road to find I had lost one of the screws which held the throttle flap to the spindle. Anyway I fixed it ( car full of spares and bits), scarey to think that the screw had passed through the engine without any damage!

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2007, 22:51:16 »

I Think the Mechanic who did my Car has Left something in side the engine as i get a tinkle Sound most times when the revs hit a point like its vibrating, I have looked All Over but cant find anything took It back to him All he said was it must be a heat shield, Which I think Is Rubbish.

Ill keep trying to track down the Tinkle noise but i dont think ill find it

I did Drop a Torx Socket into the middle of the engine i fished about with one of those magnetic long things and also fished it out I was a life saver.

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.