Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: docs smokeing ban plea  (Read 2717 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: docs smokeing ban plea
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2010, 00:01:44 »

I smoke, I don't do it in the house or near my kids, I enjoy a ciggy on my way to work and way home but again won't smoke if there is kids or someone who doesn't smoke in the car with me

+1 same for me
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2010, 00:19:28 »

Here here Kevin.

It's only a matter of time before we say enough is enough of this nanny state.

As a non-smoker, I was never bothered by people smoking in pubs.  Nor was I bothered by people smoking in the office (when smoking was allowed in work).
So, smoking in workplaces is banned - so the smokers then go outside for 10-15mins every hour, which results in lost productivity.

Then smoking in pubs etc is banned - so smokers decide to stay at home to drink instead of having to stand outside in the freezing cold to have a cig, which results in wide-scale pub closures.

And all us folk who drive cars - ooohhh, we're killing the planet!  So we must be penalised, both at the petrol pumps, and by paying (the extorsionate and laughable) "Road Fund Licence", whereby next to nowt goes back into paying for the upkeep and maintenance of the public highways - which was the reason for it's introduction!

And as for folk who enjoy 1 pint of real british ale in a country pub - woe betide ye who drives afterwards, given they are pushing to reduce the drink-drive limit to 50mg in-line with Europe (but are not planning on reducing the penalties in line with Europe - i.e. if you are a smidgin over the 50mg, it's a slap on the wrist and you're on your way once you're under the limit).
(Don't get me wrong - I am NOT condoning drink-driving - those who drive after 3-4+ pints deserve everything they get IMHO - all I'm saying is, if this tin-pot government of ours is adamant of bringing the limits in line with Europe, then they need to do so with the punishments also)

So that's what's left of the country pubs gone too.

I'm not usually a political person.  But I cannot abide being dictated to - that is what my ancestors fought against during WW1 and WW2.

We are adults - we can make our own decisions.  One things for sure - I will not be voting for Labour, Cons, nor Lib Dems this time round!!  >:(

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2010, 00:43:41 »

"It stays in the upholstery & will still kill your children" Oh shut the break up you stupid bunch of self righteous winkers. If you all got your own way the whole planet would get shut down just in case we offended another universe...idiots. I smoke where & when i want to except in other peoples houses..i adhere to thier rules but i smoke in my truck, in the yard, in the workshop, in both my cars & in every room of my own house as & when it pleases me & will continue to do so regardless of any piontless law. While we're at it lets outlaw the all day brekky & any other fried food (this costs the NHS millions), put that friday night drink down & don't drive the car anymore either. Don't eat meat but don't eat your veggies either as the resulting methane might hurt the ozone layer. Don't go jogging as repetative injuries cost the NHS a fortune & for all you extreme sport fans, best we outlaw that as well because when you injure yourselves us smokers have to pick up the tab from ouir N.I.
     Yes i know smoking is'nt a very good idea but have a think before you sit in judgement & decide in your divine right what we all should & should'nt do when you hav'nt thought out what you're saying so shut up & leave us alone. >:(
Curry makes the world go round!

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2010, 00:45:47 »

Here here Kevin.

As a non-smoker, I was never bothered by people smoking in pubs.  Nor was I bothered by people smoking in the office (when smoking was allowed in work).
So, smoking in workplaces is banned - so the smokers then go outside for 10-15mins every hour, which results in lost productivity.

Then smoking in pubs etc is banned - so smokers decide to stay at home to drink instead of having to stand outside in the freezing cold to have a cig, which results in wide-scale pub closures.

And all us folk who drive cars - ooohhh, we're killing the planet!  So we must be penalised, both at the petrol pumps, and by paying (the extorsionate and laughable) "Road Fund Licence", whereby next to nowt goes back into paying for the upkeep and maintenance of the public highways - which was the reason for it's introduction!

And as for folk who enjoy 1 pint of real british ale in a country pub - woe betide ye who drives afterwards, given they are pushing to reduce the drink-drive limit to 50mg in-line with Europe (but are not planning on reducing the penalties in line with Europe - i.e. if you are a smidgin over the 50mg, it's a slap on the wrist and you're on your way once you're under the limit).
(Don't get me wrong - I am NOT condoning drink-driving - those who drive after 3-4+ pints deserve everything they get IMHO - all I'm saying is, if this tin-pot government of ours is adamant of bringing the limits in line with Europe, then they need to do so with the punishments also)

I'm not usually a political person.  But I cannot abide being dictated to - that is what my ancestors fought against during WW1 and WW2.

We are adults - we can make our own decisions.  One things for sure - I will not be voting for Labour, Cons, nor Lib Dems this time round!!  >:(
At last a voice of reason!!!

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2010, 01:12:43 »

Oh yeah. I forgot alcohol. Best give that up as well as it costs the NHS millions every year in alcohol related diseases, street violence which burdens our ambulance & NHS servs. Drink drive is irrelevant now as we've already made cars illegal due to the resulting emmissions, in fact lets get all the emergency service vehicles off the road while we're at it. look at the carbon those nasty vehicles pump into our now bland atmosphere while they're rushing to your house fire caused by a chip pan that by now your'e probably breaking the law by using. Besides potatoes are high carb regardless of how you prepare them so let's outlaw them as well. No more jacket spuds.
   Be careful what you wish for.

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2010, 01:16:27 »

I think it's a good initaive, for numerous reasons;
22,000 less chilren with asthma or related difficulty cna only be a good thing
I've seen many people not in full control of thier vehicle whilst smoking
Anything that saves the NHS money is a bonus, I watched the BBC report...and it was estimated it could save the NHS £23,000,000 iirc. Even if the true figure is half thatm that's still great.
Children who have no choice should not be subject to second hand smoke and the detrimental effects it can cause them.
Smoking is a disghusting habit, and we clearly know by now it is harmful. If smokers continue, that is their choice...I would never advocate taking away their right to continue. But when it effects other people, tough for them...they'll have to get over it.
So your list of large vehicles don't hurt anyone with thier emissions? Think again pal! ::)

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2010, 01:22:25 »

I think it's a good initaive, for numerous reasons;
22,000 less chilren with asthma or related difficulty cna only be a good thing
I've seen many people not in full control of thier vehicle whilst smoking
Anything that saves the NHS money is a bonus, I watched the BBC report...and it was estimated it could save the NHS £23,000,000 iirc. Even if the true figure is half thatm that's still great.
Children who have no choice should not be subject to second hand smoke and the detrimental effects it can cause them.
Smoking is a disghusting habit, and we clearly know by now it is harmful. If smokers continue, that is their choice...I would never advocate taking away their right to continue. But when it effects other people, tough for them...they'll have to get over it.
So your list of large vehicles don't hurt anyone with thier emissions? Think again pal! ::)

Ah-ha - that's the way this "government" want us all to think - don't stoop to their level Guy!!  ;D  ;)

It's a well-known fact that all this global warming (a.k.a "climate change") malarkey is a load of ...... - but it's been done to death on here, so ain't going down that road again!  ;)

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 March 2010, 01:24:05 »

Here here Kevin.

At last a voice of reason!!!

As I said, I ain't a political person - but I am an adult who is free (or was, at some point...) to make my own decisions!

Check yer PM btw  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #23 on: 27 March 2010, 07:50:58 »

really is quite incredible, if any other item was bought and sold for personal consumption that caused cancer, there would be uproar.

You've got to hand it to the tobacco companys, not only do they profit from human deaths, its perfectly legal as well.

...so just to be clear, kids are below the line, i think we get that bit, but any other human its fine to give them cancer is it?  right, got the message, loud and clear.

Well done.

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 March 2010, 09:29:44 »

It could also be argued that intercourse can spread deadly STD's, so that should be banned.

Understand what yer saying bud, but it's all about us having freedom of choice  :y

I don't think it's a case of being peeved around the subject of this latest government edict per se (as I mentioned earlier - as a non-smoker, I have no reason to be) - it is the fact that this nanny state has now gone waaay too far in dictating how we shall and shall not run our lives, and what we shall and shall not do.  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2010, 11:23:42 »

United we stand - divided we fall.

Today it's the smokers' turn. They've already started on alcohol so that will go the same way if a line is not drawn. Ban on drinking in pubs, anyone? I guess they could still sell carrot juice or tea or something?

Then it'll be 4x4s. Local 4x4 club were out pulling people out of the snow all night back in January, at their own expense, when the council were able to do break all but sit and watch, but they'll soon be branded "gas guzzlers" and their hobby hounded out of existence.

Then it'll be everyone else who doesn't drive some sit-up-and-beg piece of japanese sh1t that does claims to do 70 MPG.

So, smoking might or might not be something you feel passionate about - but remember you might well be next.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2010, 12:29:53 »

and ban youths up the age of 25 from driving at all while we're at it, or at least keep em off the rather motorway 2 feet from my bumper(although they can be fun to play with) motorway driving test after the basic test is passed imo, and i would train and take the test myself even if not compulsory...

as a once moronic bike nut of old it was blatently obvious the road was not the place to play, eventually, so track only it was, bit like your smoking room you might say?

But are motorcycle manufacturers the same as tobacco companys? you tell me?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 March 2010, 00:07:39 »

Plenty of things in life have huge potential to end badly. Riding a bike is one of them, IMHO, as is flying a glider in some people's eye, which I do rather a lot of. So was flying a man to the moon, etc. There are people who think these things are worth  the risk anyway, and who's to say they are wrong and must be stopped? Nobody is forced to do dangerous things in life, in our society, at any rate.

OK, it's hard to say what positive things can come out of smoking but I can see negative things that result from banning it in ever increasing numbers of places.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #28 on: 28 March 2010, 11:04:04 »

Plenty of things in life have huge potential to end badly. Riding a bike is one of them, IMHO, as is flying a glider in some people's eye, which I do rather a lot of. So was flying a man to the moon, etc. There are people who think these things are worth  the risk anyway, and who's to say they are wrong and must be stopped? Nobody is forced to do dangerous things in life, in our society, at any rate.

OK, it's hard to say what positive things can come out of smoking but I can see negative things that result from banning it in ever increasing numbers of places.

Kevin
agree on that level to a point, but smoking is far more sinister imo. and the only positive is keeping fag maker employees in a job.
I put it in the class A drug bracket to a point. Its the involuntary need for it i object to. All other persuits mentioned are voluntary according to the individuals make up, addrenilin is entirely natural, nicotene is not, and its only the nicotene left that allows the smoker, in the face of all reasonable argument, to say, "i do it because i enjoy it" how many times as a smoker is a fag lit out of need only to think after a couple of puffs ".....i dont actually want that" probably not that often amongst the hard core tbh, but i know a few that mention it. On that basis, kill smoking, not people, the end.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 March 2010, 14:39:26 »

I cant wait for them to ban alcohol in Pubs, least that way I can go outside and have a Ciggy and Drink at the same time, rather than having to leave my Pint in the Pub and wondering if its still going to be there when I get back from from my Ciggy break.
 :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.