Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat D  (Read 762 times)

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
Cat D
« on: 31 August 2010, 22:33:47 »

Hi guys might sound a strange question but if i buy a car that is a Cat D and apparentley repaired will i have any problems insuring it?

What standard does it need repairing too? Anything elese i need to know?

Cheers Dave :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Cat D
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2010, 22:35:55 »

I thought Cat D were the daft stuff kike just stolen and recovered, or the same with minor damge to a lock or window and basicaly DIY repairable.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2010, 22:51:53 »

Cat A- The vehicle must be destroyed, nothing of value to salvage.
Cat B - Only for parts, not for resale or ever to be put back on the road.
Cat C - Repair is possible, but the estimated cost is more than the value of the vehicle at the time of the damage, therefore it's a total loss.
Cat D - Repair is possible, but would cost a % of the vehicle's value and not deemed economical, but can be repaired.
Cat C requires a VIC check, this is a vehicle identity check, this does not establish roadworthiness, just establishes the identity of the vehicle is correct. This is not required for Cat D.
When you look at the V5C, look at the bottom left hand corner in section 3 (Special Notes). It will always says 'Declared new at first registration' Unless it's an import. In this section it should say something like- Substanially altered or repaired if it's Cat C. Cat D doesn't usually do that. That's the acid test with the insurers, if on the V5C it doesn't mention anything like that it's normally fine.
I have had to advise a friend of this recently. It is also prudent to get an engineers report of the vehicle if your insurance query anything.
If you need any more assitance, let me know Dave  :y

EDIT: Also to add, Phil's right. Cat D is normally also given to stolen recovered, when there is no damage to the vehicle. If the insurers pay out and the vehicle is subsequently recovered, it then becomes a Cat D.
But, do please note that Cat D does devalue a vehicle regardless of any damage or not. If it's immaculate but still Cat D, it is still worth less compared to an equivalent unrecorded vehicle.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2010, 22:56:14 by joshwyatt »

johny5

• Intermediate Member
  • Portsmouth, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2010, 23:44:19 »

I had a Cat D bmw 5 series once, had front end damage with the previous owner but was repaired properly with all genuine parts, you couldnt tell the difference nor what had been done, owned that car for about 3 yrs.

Its a good way to get a good car cheap if you intend on keeping it, but not worth buying and selling it on for profit unless its stupidly cheap.

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2010, 00:05:30 »

Cheers Josh some useful info there, so as long as the V5 is clear i'm all good with the insurance. Not in it to make a profit just after a new run about for the Mrs as cheap as possible and looking at it from the point of view that dealers may be more likely to want to get them off a forecourt?
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2010, 08:53:13 »

Cat A- The vehicle must be destroyed, nothing of value to salvage.
Cat B - Only for parts, not for resale or ever to be put back on the road.
Cat C - Repair is possible, but the estimated cost is more than the value of the vehicle at the time of the damage, therefore it's a total loss.
Cat D - Repair is possible, but would cost a % of the vehicle's value and not deemed economical, but can be repaired.
Cat C requires a VIC check, this is a vehicle identity check, this does not establish roadworthiness, just establishes the identity of the vehicle is correct. This is not required for Cat D.
When you look at the V5C, look at the bottom left hand corner in section 3 (Special Notes). It will always says 'Declared new at first registration' Unless it's an import. In this section it should say something like- Substanially altered or repaired if it's Cat C. Cat D doesn't usually do that. That's the acid test with the insurers, if on the V5C it doesn't mention anything like that it's normally fine.
I have had to advise a friend of this recently. It is also prudent to get an engineers report of the vehicle if your insurance query anything.
If you need any more assitance, let me know Dave  :y

EDIT: Also to add, Phil's right. Cat D is normally also given to stolen recovered, when there is no damage to the vehicle. If the insurers pay out and the vehicle is subsequently recovered, it then becomes a Cat D.
But, do please note that Cat D does devalue a vehicle regardless of any damage or not. If it's immaculate but still Cat D, it is still worth less compared to an equivalent unrecorded vehicle.

the local hgv test centre also does these vic tests.

on chatting to the tester on some of the strange stuff which gets put back on the road, mention was made of a clit which had had the roof section welded in from another vehicle..this was subsequently rejected.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2010, 09:52:24 »

My little Rover 25 diesel is a Cat D light panel damage. Never had any trouble insuring it and there's no mention on the V5C but don't expect to get much for it should we have a bump or sell it but then it is a Rover so aint worth much anyway ;)
Retired

Mysteryman

« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2010, 11:33:54 »

My wife is a cat D. I'll have to keep her forever as I can't move her on. :(

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2010, 11:57:08 »

you must have been a cat A or B then,a burnt out wreck :D
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Mysteryman

« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2010, 13:26:13 »

you must have been a cat A or B then,a burnt out wreck :D

Yes Jon, my previous marriages have taken their toll. :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.