Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morris 8  (Read 632 times)

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
Morris 8
« on: 03 October 2010, 19:45:04 »

Went to see a customer today who had a mighty fine collection of cars (17 in total) but the one that caught my eye had to be the Morris 8, 70 years old and in better condition than some of my recent marques.

Got to get me another clasic soon not sure what but a series one landrover seems to be winning for me at present :-/
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
Re: Morris 8
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2010, 19:52:13 »

Went to see a customer today who had a mighty fine collection of cars (17 in total) but the one that caught my eye had to be the Morris 8, 70 years old and in better condition than some of my recent marques.

Got to get me another clasic soon not sure what but a series one landrover seems to be winning for me at present :-/
You're a brave man going for a series 1. They take alot of looking after & living with but are incredibly rewarding. Unless you find a real bargain stick to the 80 inch. Check the bulkhead as they are often overlooked & remember the petrol tank is under your bum!!!! 8-)
Curry makes the world go round!

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2010, 19:59:50 »

Not really sure what to get to be honest, my old man ghad a series one when i was just a nipper gave 50 quid for it out of a barn and did it up, then he had a few series 2 and 3's.

What's difference between the wheelbases? (Might sound a daft question but answer in laymans please)

Psychoca

• Norfolk
    • Beaten up Mondeo TDCI ST.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2010, 20:19:23 »

Wheelbase = distance between front and rear axle...

In theory the longer the wheelbase the more stable the vehicle and more available space inside the vehicle...

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2010, 20:22:09 »

Wheelbase = distance between front and rear axle...
In theory the longer the wheelbase the more stable the vehicle and more available space inside the vehicle...

I'm not a complete idiot ;D ;D ;D i meant are there certain models/wheelbase variants to avoid  :-[

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2010, 21:53:53 »

Don't think Psychoca meant any offence mate just answered the question as he saw it. All the series Landies are a delight & a nightmare rolled into one. Being leafsprung they are bouncy & crash over the slightest speck of anything in the road. 3 leaf parabolic springs & procomp shocks / bushes help a bit but watch foer weeping. Series 1, 2 & 2a are all tax excempt & have the headlights inside the wings either side of the rad grille which is metal & can be used as a BBQ rack over a campfire. They have the gearbox with no synchro in 1st...& often other gears with age but double de clutch easily & the box is striong. The dash clocks are low down behind the gear lever & you may well have manual wipers. None of the series Landies have any real form of demisting on a damp morning & with sliding windows there is no room to stick your head out. The series 3's are my personal favourite. The earliest are tax excempt, they have a full synchro box although it is weaker than the earlier ones. The dash clocks are in front of you behind the wheel & you can pick them cheap. All the body panels are ally so won't rust but watch out for the reaction between the metal & ally panels where they join particularly in the rear tub. They rot EVERYWHERE underneath quicker than a Lancia in the sea, worst points are the outriggers & rear spring hangers. Don't worry if it has no floorpans. These are'nt part of the chassis & are cheap to buy & easy to fit albeit with a little cutting & hammering! Your ave mpg will be below 20 & try to buy one of the many that has had a galv chassis fitted. Watch out for noisy transfer boxes, jumping out of gear & make sure the hi/lo box & 4wd levers (red & yellow) operate properly. All series are RWD unless 4x4 is engaged. The 90/110/defenders are permanant 4wd. They are godawful to drive on the road. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer, they don't want to stop & only change direction when they want to not when you want to. The steering wheel is really only there for you to hang onto!!!
    That said i adore them. They are tough as old boots. You could dig your way through 20ft of snow & it will start & drag itself out, through water that's coming up over the bonnet & up or down any incline that would defeat most modern so called 4x4's & tow them out when stuck.

They are the best & the bloody worst all rolled into one so make sure it's what you really want. Guy. :y

Curry makes the world go round!

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2010, 22:15:44 »

No offence taken from Psychoca response was a bit tongue in cheek ;)

Comprehensive write up there guy cheers :y

Not sure what to get really looking at spending a couple of grand on the original purchase, won't be run that often going to be purely a toy so if it needs some work doing it can stop in one of the family barns.

My old man mentioned the fuel consumption thinks i have a thing for buying petrol with the upcoming purchase and having the omega ;D ;D

So go on then couple of grand what would you go for?

Dave :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2010, 07:50:01 »

Early Landrovers are big bucks, even in poor condition (4K upwards for many with upto 10K for top nick ones).

A later series 2 or early 3 is a bit easier to live with but please get a diesel or a V8 as the standard petrols are woefuly underpowered.

But yes, bulk heads and chassis rot badly, gearboxes wear pretty badly to and get mega sloppy and difficult to shift....next thing you know is you have a gear stick in your hand!

I hate them but thats because I regularly have to drive them on the road and I am always fixing them :y

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2010, 07:52:26 »

My Uncle had a Morris 8, the handbook showed you every nut and bolt on the car, so that you could dismantle it, and put it back together again.
I like red cars
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.