Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Poxy modern-day build quality..  (Read 1567 times)

aaronjb

Poxy modern-day build quality..
« on: 17 October 2010, 14:24:58 »

Why is it that half the time you buy something brand new these days, it's broken when you get it out of the box?  I'm sure it wasn't like this 10 years ago.. but maybe that's just the rose tinted specs talking.

Bought a £200 Triton shower a couple of weeks ago and had the plumber fit it as part of redoing the central heading & hot water system and .. it leaks like a ruddy sieve.

Not from any joints he put in, oh no.. the valve leaks out of the valve body and drips constantly, it doesn't turn off properly so it drips out of both shower heads constantly..

And it's a bit hard to take it back for a refund once half the fittings are buried in the wall!

Bah  >:( >:(

Ok.. that's the end of my rant.. thanks for listening ;)

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
Re: Poxy modern-day build quality..
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2010, 14:28:46 »

ive fitted a few triton and there usually reliable, sometimes the shower hoses ar crap and leak at the showerhead. mine leaked so got a better hose for it.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2010, 14:39:09 »

I think you should ring Triton - I bought a thermostatic complete kit off ebay for £70- and it worked a treat to replace same kit at my daughters.

They are a decent company and for certain failures actually come out I think - probably just on the thermostatic cartridges - but worth a try.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2010, 14:45:13 »

I think this chap more than agrees with you A;

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps55UiGII50[/media]

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2010, 15:13:47 »

Got fed up with electric showers, we going for one like this in our new bathroom project.

http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/Bristan-Prism-Contemporary-Wall-Mounted-Bath-Shower-Mixer_p_1605.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

With a pump, possibly in the loft.

But yes, an increasing problem, and even harder to get any issues sorted these days.

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2010, 15:39:13 »

Oddly it's stopped leaking now.. although I had the cold feed turned off so the pressure was reduced.

Took the remains of the boiler to the tip and found.. a nice big ding in the middle of the passenger door from my next door neighbours kids (slight assumption, but since it's been their 4x4 parked next to me for the last week..) >:( >:( >:(

Having one of those days where I wish I hadn't woken up!

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2010, 15:56:36 »

Ok this is getting comical now.. I went into the bathroom to check on the shower, and...

The lamp shade fell off the bathroom light!  ;D ;D

Oh well, at least that one made me laugh  ;D

maria

• Omega Baron
  • Derbyshire
  • I'm proud to be welsh :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2010, 15:58:55 »

Me too lol ;D ;D ;D

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2010, 18:51:47 »

Why is it that half the time you buy something brand new these days, it's broken when you get it out of the box?  I'm sure it wasn't like this 10 years ago.. but maybe that's just the rose tinted specs talking.

Bought a £200 Triton shower a couple of weeks ago and had the plumber fit it as part of redoing the central heading & hot water system and .. it leaks like a ruddy sieve.

Not from any joints he put in, oh no.. the valve leaks out of the valve body and drips constantly, it doesn't turn off properly so it drips out of both shower heads constantly..

And it's a bit hard to take it back for a refund once half the fittings are buried in the wall!

Bah  >:( >:(

Ok.. that's the end of my rant.. thanks for listening ;)

Did your plumber remove the mixer valve & flush the pipework through to remove any excess flux or pipe debris? There is a better than even chance it is something like this preventing the valve body operating correctly. :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2010, 19:06:53 »

Good question and... I don't know ;) Both of the pipe runs to it are new though, and the new sections of pipe run are poly pipe with push fit fittings..

Oh and there are screens in the two feeds that are supposed to collect debris.

However based on the fact that it's mysteriously stopped leaking.. I can only assume that it was, in fact, some foreign object getting between the seals.. either that or it's just waiting till I turn my back and then it's going to start leaking again ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2010, 19:21:42 »

Triton Thermostatic Shower should carry a five year parts or faulty manufacture guarantee even if DIY fitted. They are usually pretty good at honouring it provided you have registered the guarantee. You can register the guarantee online if it's easier. They will even come to you if you are sure it is a shower fault. :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 17 October 2010, 19:32:04 by Alan-Hearn »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2010, 19:27:04 »

( Most ) Triton showers have a two year warranty ,at least in Ireland they do. I try to use them over Mira simply for that fact.
 I've had two go faulty in the last eighteen months both with shut off valve problems .I called the distributor and their engineers came and repaired them at no cost to client or myself.
Contact Triton and claim warranty.  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2010, 19:27:32 »

Good question and... I don't know ;) Both of the pipe runs to it are new though, and the new sections of pipe run are poly pipe with push fit fittings..

However based on the fact that it's mysteriously stopped leaking.. I can only assume that it was, in fact, some foreign object getting between the seals.. either that or it's just waiting till I turn my back and then it's going to start leaking again ;)

Quality job then (not)  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 17 October 2010, 19:27:58 by Mark »

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2010, 19:37:11 »

Bah.. don't say that.. I don't think I could afford a more expensive job - it took a week as it was..

Should have just bought a new build  ::)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #14 on: 17 October 2010, 19:38:42 »

Yes, sounds to me like a quality (Chinese?) build quality but lousy British workmanship! ::) ::) :D :D :D :D ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 17 queries.