Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: After a new Netbook  (Read 1807 times)

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
After a new Netbook
« on: 15 October 2010, 22:18:54 »

Mrs wants a little netbook for taking to work and uni, will only use it for browsing and storing photo's on so doesn't need to be hugely powerful.

Anybody know anything about them, I'm not massively IT literate :-[

Looking at a budget of around 200-250 or less if i can find the right product oh and preferably PINK if possible.

Anybody any suggestions :question

TIA Dave :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
Re: After a new Netbook
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2010, 22:36:22 »

just had an email from comet as the have a big laptop sale on
http://www.comet.co.uk/sh"My Naff Code Reader"et/search.do?n=0&searchTerm=laptopclear&cm_mmc=Email-_-email15thoctober-_-shopnow-_-shopnow
No more Omega but still hangs around

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2010, 22:41:39 »

new models are quite fast and capable.. well equipped and even can handle excessive work.. :o

personally I would go after known brands like Hp or samsung..

http://www.cheap-netbooks.org.uk/

ps: I see pink notebooks mostly from acer or sony which are quite expensive..
« Last Edit: 15 October 2010, 22:43:18 by cem_devecioglu »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2010, 01:09:05 »

I have an Acer aspire one pro 531. About 9 months old and hasn't missed a beat. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2010, 01:16:42 »

I pad, quicker than greased poop, 10hour battery, starts up in 2 seconds...... if you can stand the flash issue, and price it has to be said.

She has a lap top and never uses it now, I can't get on my own iPad.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2010, 09:25:40 »

I was toying with one a few weeks ago, though decided against it

CQ10-101 was around £175 from Ebuyer - normal kind of spec for netbook, Atom, 1Gb, 160Gb HDD etc.

Be warned, all netbooks will struggle to last due to poor processor (Atom), and bare in mind Microsoft are now starting to, at last, pull the rug out from underneath XP
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2010, 09:30:46 »

CQ10-101 was around £175 from Ebuyer - normal kind of spec for netbook, Atom, 1Gb, 160Gb HDD etc.

Be warned, all netbooks will struggle to last due to poor processor (Atom), and bare in mind Microsoft are now starting to, at last, pull the rug out from underneath XP

yep.. they are trying to stop it.. but I doubt they can.. if not millions at least thousands of programmers still support it..  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2010, 09:54:31 »

yep.. they are trying to stop it.. but I doubt they can.. if not millions at least thousands of programmers still support it..  ;D
Oh, they can - and they are ramping it up. The key is to make the end users change, then the developers have to follow.

How do they make end users update? Start giving notice that popular services that need a client on the end user PC only support Vista+

Make MSN Vista+ only, problem solved  :-X

I've noticed an increasing amount of newer hardware seems to be devoid of XP drivers
Grumpy old man

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2010, 10:07:22 »

TB is correct, possibly one of the biggest accelerants to XP's death is something most people are blissfully unaware of, approx 2-3 weeks ago Dell removed the XP downgrade option to their business machines.

That's the death knell ringing.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2010, 10:19:07 »

Oh, they can - and they are ramping it up. The key is to make the end users change, then the developers have to follow.

How do they make end users update? Start giving notice that popular services that need a client on the end user PC only support Vista+

Make MSN Vista+ only, problem solved  :-X

I've noticed an increasing amount of newer hardware seems to be devoid of XP drivers

sure microsoft will write software that wont work with xp from now on.. but still there are millions of machines working on xp which also hardware vendors cant ignore..sooner or later it will die.. but at least 4-5 years must pass..here still xp machines are sold.. ;D
« Last Edit: 16 October 2010, 10:19:44 by cem_devecioglu »

unclelicklug

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2010, 10:25:29 »

Been very pleased with my Samsung NC10, also available in pink.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-10-2-inch-Netbook-1-6GHz-Windows/dp/B001Q9EKS2

Price is about right but might be worth checking for newer versions of this model which will probably come with Windows 7 (the NC10 has been out a while and ships with Windows XP).

Same machine but with different badges and a very good price turns up in the Aldi special offers now and again.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 October 2010, 11:19:48 »

They'll struggle to run Windows but they were never intended for that in the first place. ;)

Anyway, I'm still developing for platforms that run Windows 2000. ;D I wonder if they'll just skip XP and Vispa?

Probably not. I get the feeling XP embedded will be next. ::)

Kevin

EDIT: Vispa = Vista. You can tell how much I've been calling our dreaded work ISP recently. :-X
« Last Edit: 16 October 2010, 11:27:33 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 October 2010, 11:25:52 »

Skipping Vista, Windows 7 runs nicely on low spec kit, certainly does most jobs. Most big corporates still run XP, not looking forward to getting the bespoke apps i have to use running on 7!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 October 2010, 13:06:35 »

I bought a Samsung NC10 Netbook last Xmas for my Far East trip, loaded it with Win 7 Utimate, 2gb Ram then spent ages upgraded all the Samsung updates for Win 7, works really well for a little Atom processor, Battery life is excellent.

Chris.  :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #14 on: 16 October 2010, 17:00:55 »

Skipping Vista, Windows 7 runs nicely on low spec kit, certainly does most jobs. Most big corporates still run XP, not looking forward to getting the bespoke apps i have to use running on 7!

Fact!!   and they are not planning to invest high sums on win 7 now :-/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.